*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153045-The-Boxer
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1153045
A has been boxer gets the encouragement he so badly needs. An easy and enjoyable read.
BELIEF


A positive belief system can change the possibility of failure into the certainty of success.
Consider the tale of Johnny, the small time boxer. He thought his career was over and his self-esteem was at an all time low. His agent signed him up for one more fight, one final chance to redeem himself. The problem was the fight had gone out of him. He had a contract to uphold, so he had no choice.
Hot tears burned his eyes. Panic overtook his emotions, and he asked himself “How am I going to get through this? “ His opponent, Big Bob was half his age and twice his size. He knew his chance of winning was small, at best. He closed his eyes tightly, wishing for a miracle.
When he opened his eyes, a little imp of a boy stood before him. The boy’s ear-to-ear grin lacked two front teeth and his saucer like brown eyes smiled. Johnny blinked, wondering how this kid had gotten in. No kids were aloud in the locker room.
The kid said to him “You’ve got to believe, Johnny. Have faith and you can make things happen!” As the coach, Joe, strapped tape around the boxers knotted knuckles and pulled on the gloves, Johnny shook his head in disbelief. If only he could have the kind of innocent faith and belief that the little boy displayed. A life of hard knocks had robbed him of that. Heading to the ring, he glanced back and the boy had disappeared. Maybe he had been on the receiving end of a stiff glove once too often.
The first round left him cut up, beat down and badly hurt. The warm blood gushed from a deep gash above his right eye, blurring his vision. Joe suggested, “Throw the fight, for your own safety. Big Bob will stomp you to the ground.” Johnny considered the validity of Joe’s wisdom. Maybe he was right this time. Maybe he should just give up. The alcohol stung his wounds and his vision cleared, only to witness those saucer brown eyes staring into his once again. “Johnny, you can do it, but you have to believe in yourself. It will be true if you believe!” Johnny knew he was hallucinating again. How else could he explain the existence of this little person?
Then something happened. Maybe it was the unconditional belief in those adoring eyes. It could have been the pain, the blood, or just the need to prove his self worth. He started to believe that he could do it! He could win this fight.
As soon as he began to believe in himself, everything changed. People in the audience noticed the difference. Johnny held his head up, standing tall and erect. His stride was sure, and his vision direct. His demeanor shouted winner to the crowd. Everybody cheered, and positive energy filled the room.
Johnny became known as the come back kid when he aced the next round, coming out the winner. He won that fight and many more after that because he was able to change his belief in himself.
He didn’t see that little brown-eyed boy again, but anytime he needed encouragement, he remembered that little face of confidence and belief.
What you believe, and how you feel about it, can have a tremendous effect on your success in any given situation. Positive beliefs, reinforced by positive thoughts and affirmations will make you a winner in life. You have the power to change yourself, and to change your circumstances. Take that control, and run with it!
© Copyright 2006 WriteSideUp (writesideup at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153045-The-Boxer