*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153134-The-week-of-a-watermelon
by scarl
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1153134
a watermelon tells us what it is like to live as a fruit
SUNDAY -
The sun has been generously shining to heat the earth that I am working hard to rise from. The soil feels so good it is tempting to stay but I know that the farmers who water me want me to grow, grow, grow.

I push out my first green leaf from the earth. I am very proud of myself as I sit here drinking in the water and the sun. The sky is more beautiful than I was able to tell from underground. I am growing nice and strong.

MONDAY -

The farmers have come back and started to consider us for picking. I was worried as I saw the feet pass by me so many times that I would fail to be chosen. Feeling very sad that I would not get to go with my friends I decided that it was for the best and the sun said he would always be my friend. Then something wonderful happened. The farmer pulled me away from the vines and tossed me into the truck. Landing hurt. I was mad he so rough with me but soon the anger melted into curiosity as I wondered where we were going?

TUESDAY-

The truck stopped outside something called a super market where I along with many others were placed inside a box outside. People pass by us all the time and look over our pretty sign, considering if they would like to take us home or not. A woman and her baby stopped their cart in front of us just this afternoon and I thought very hard “pick me! Pick me!”
I was very lucky because she must of heard me. Her hands reached down and placed me lovingly into her cart with no trace of the roughness the farmer had.

WEDNESDAY-
I sit now on top of the kitchen counter top where I can see outside the window and talk to my dear friend the sun. Every so often the teenager who lives here walks in picks me up and tosses me in the air making me very dizzy. It always mutters that I am still too yellow. I asked the sun what he thought that meant. He said not to worry about it because he would help me get nice and green.

THURSDAY-
I met the family cat today, Pickles. Pickles said it wanted to play a game. I had no fun at all playing with it. Pickles has these massive paws it used to start rolling me around. It pushed me off the counter it did! When I was falling I thought about the sun and how I might never see him again. I hit the floor with the harshest thud I have ever felt. I was worried I had busted open. The woman came into the kitchen picked me up and placed me safely onto the counter top, shooing the mean cat away. She looked me over but she did not eat me.


FRIDAY-
No one has come to look me over today. How will I know if I am still too yellow. “Sun, do I still look yellow to you?”
“Not as yellow as before. Do not worry you are almost very green. I think they will want to eat you soon”

SATURDAY-
The husband came and took me out of the kitchen. He placed me inside his car and I noticed the entire family getting inside. We drove to a nice park where they spread out a blanket and then -

_________________________________

"Invalid Item






© Copyright 2006 scarl (scarl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153134-The-week-of-a-watermelon