*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153140-College-Entrance-Essay
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Community · #1153140
College Entrance essay that will be used for CU Boulder. Looking for critiques.
          Honor, integrity, and accountability are many attributes that people today do not follow. Their views on life or their actions prevent them from using these attributes. A lot of times these actions do not respect the rights of people or help the community they work in. If they followed these attributes better they would feel better about themselves and their surroundings. They help you with everyday tasks and help keep the community a good place. I follow this creed on a daily basis, with respect and honor to the people and things around me.
          My life since the fifth grade has revolved around integrity. This started when I was enrolled in the Young Marines, a program which teaches honor and integrity to young people by putting them through a mini, marine boot camp. This program made it’s members do community service as well as trained the members in being respectful to all those around you, whether it be an authority figure or just a person you meet on the street. These attributes were drilled into my mind and I still follow them today. Whenever I see a person or an animal, even plants, I hold a great respect for them, understanding what they are, and what they represent.
          Everything in nature is perfect and therefore needs to be respected for what it is. When I see nature, I understand that it is just like us, trying to survive in a harsh world filled with dangers. I understand how it came to be and all the obstacles it has overcome. These things need to be respected , and thus I respect them. Those around you also need to be respected for just being human, not for who they are. I have always held respect for my parents. I do what they tell me with integrity and I rarely disobey unless what they say would otherwise affect the respect I have for others around me or the community. Authority needs to be respected just as much as people By respecting people, you help them feel better about themselves. They will have respect towards you and others, just as you showed them. It will even lead them to respect themselves and the community, and, hopefully, help the community. By respecting authority, you will avoid problems with authority that could affect their futures. It is, therefore, best to help people learn about respect, and to respect them as well, so they may pass it on to others, and also to respect authority. I have always held respect for my parents. I do what they tell me with integrity and I rarely disobey unless what they say would otherwise affect the respect I have for others around me or the community.
          Though the community in itself is not a human being, it is made of human beings and thus still has many dangers it faces. Crime, violence, the people and influences that are part of it, these are all parts of the community. A good community has little crime and is vibrant, but when bad influences move in they bring crime and violence and eventually the community in itself dies. It becomes just another “hood” with everyone looking out for themselves, not for those around them. Therefore it is best that we take care of our community and keep it in a good state and respect it just as we respect ourselves. I did just that, with the Young Marines I helped run parades, and run the highland festival. After I left the program, I helped twice with a Muscular Distrophy Association fund raiser. I even give unwanted objects and clothing to the Goodwill. I believe I am doing a little to help my community. But without everyone else’s help it will all be in vain. The abilities of a few people, with a few rare exceptions, cannot change the world.
          I have led a life full of honor, and integrity, and I constantly respect and give back to my community. I respect the feelings of those around me and I respect myself. In my everyday actions I use these attributes and I vow to follow these same attributes in my future, hopefully at CU Boulder. No matter where I go in life I will act with integrity, honor, and accountability. I will respect those around me, and I will give back and respect my community.

© Copyright 2006 A P Mares (shigan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153140-College-Entrance-Essay