*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153431-A-Birthday-for-Old-Smokey
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Comedy · #1153431
The guys at the station are having a birthday party for their chief and friend.
Written for "The Writer's Cramp
Prompt: Write a Birthday story where the fire chief is turning an age close to retirement and has a group of his best firefighters surrounding the festivities in case a disaster occurs.

--------------------------

Sixty-three years old! They all loved old Smokey at Pump and Rescue Station 9, uptown on the corner of Broadway and K Street. No one could believe that in just one more year those clowns downtown at city hall would force him to retire. What wonder kid came up with that obnoxious policy? It didn't seem fair since other city employees could keep working until they were 72.

Smokey was revered by all and had lots of friends in the local neighborhood. His recent daring rescue at the three-alarm apartment fire had earned him a distinguished service medal for bravery, presented in person by Her Honor the Mayor. During the ceremony the Fire Commissioner gave him an honorary promotion to Chief just in time for retirement. The whole incident and the following hoopla were very good press, and really helped to improve the public image of the department. Smokey was often asked to visit schools and attend functions with the political dignitaries. It was something he seemed to enjoy and everyone hoped he would continue it after his retirement.

His attitude and experience meant that when he wanted something he usually got it. He also had a bit of a temper, so the guys at the station made sure not to cross him. At least not intentionally. Smokey never stayed mad for long though, and soon he would be there to shake hands. If he ever left a mess anywhere around the station, someone would always take care of it and nobody ever mentioned it to him. They were just happy to have him around. He seemed to have a sixth sense about the feelings of the men after a bad fire, and would always do just the right thing to provide comfort or lighten the mood.

Many of his friends and most of the local merchants would also be at the party. As a surprise for Smokey, the people he pulled from that apartment fire would be there to thank him again. Since the Mayor and members of the City Council would also attend, it was going to be a big cake. It had to be to feed all those people and hold all of the candles. None of the guys was very good at making fancy cakes, so they had all chipped in to get one from the bakery down the street. The cake would be decorated with a scene of Broadway showing the station, some of the local shops and brownstones, complete with trees, lampposts, and even a fire hydrant.

The last party with Smokey as a full member of the crew was going to be over-the-top. No holding back. No skimping. Out of respect they would all wear full call-out kit; boots, coats, and helmets, and would be carrying axes and hoses.

The truth is, the chief was worried about setting the station on fire with all those candles and a big crowd of people. Ever since Ladder Company 38 had lit their dining room curtains on fire during their last party, the other stations had been overly cautious. The bad press from that incident still haunted them all. Can you imagine the embarrassment of getting a call to a fire in your own station? It's fortunate for the entire department that the newspapers never learned what really happened at that infamous party. Let's just say that it was a bachelor party that got out of hand and leave it there.

The guys at the station didn't share the chief's anxiety. After all, if anything caught fire Smokey would just do what he does at most fires. Lift his hind leg and pee on it. What else would you expect from a Dalmatian, even if he is a Chief?

Word Count: 623
© Copyright 2006 Eric Brierley (txbirder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153431-A-Birthday-for-Old-Smokey