*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1155357-The-Security-Guard
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #1155357
A seemingly-innocent security guard hides a big secret. How long can she keep it?
She was about five foot six, with shoulder-length blonde hair and a persistent smile on her face. And, on the outside, she was a simple, mild-mannered security guard for Portland Community College. However, she hid something from everyone that no one could have suspected.

She was just finishing up with her job for the day when her desk phone rang. Her eyes darting quickly about, she answered it.

“Hello?” She said quietly, still keeping a constant watch around her. “Yeah. Yeah, I’ve got the parcel. Yes, I’m positive he doesn’t know about it. Alright. I’ll be there.” She quickly hung up the phone, and got up from her desk, shutting her computer down. She took a disk out of it, quickly stuffing it in her pocket.

She hurried out to her car, getting in and closing the door before anyone could notice she had left. But, as she drove out of the parking lot, someone noticed her, and tried to catch her attention. She sped up, pretending not to notice, and blazed past him. She didn’t have time for simple distractions.

As she drove down the road, she thought about what she had in the back. It was big, and a little bulky. Pretty obvious to anyone who was really paying attention, which was why she was lucky that so far, their target hadn’t noticed it yet. He’d been in and out of the car, but it never occurred to him to turn around and look for anything.

She pulled up in the driveway, trying to be as quiet as possible, so as not to distract the two already inside the house. She got out, went around to the back, and grabbed the package that was there.

She quietly opened the front door. She looked around, but she didn’t see anyone in the house. She could hear them, though. They weren’t that far away. She closed the door behind her, and it made a tiny sound, which caused her to freeze. But, it didn’t seem that anyone else had noticed.

She slowly crept into the dining room. She saw both of them. And their intended target was purposely facing away from her, completely oblivious of her presents. Suddenly, and unexpectedly, she shouted, “Surprise!!”

Their son turned around, and laughed. She put the gifts on the table, and hugged him. “Happy birthday,” she told him. And for the rest of the night, they celebrated his birthday, opening presents and eating cake.
© Copyright 2006 Roger Callibros (gorb1201 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1155357-The-Security-Guard