*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1162944-The-Hunt
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #1162944
A beast story for Halloween, which is truly the beast?
The Hunt


A lot of what happened was my fault. For years I have been an avid hunter, never letting the rest of life get in the way of a good hunt. It didn’t matter if my daughter’s sweet sixteen birthday was coming up. Why should it? I never cared that her first birthday party was on opening day of hunting season, so what was the big deal about the sixteenth time?

It didn’t matter what it was that I was hunting; it could be deer season, like now, or it could just as well be grouse, moose, caribou or pheasant. I just love to get out there in the great outdoors and stalk any prey. The heft and weight of my gun makes me feel strong and safe as I carry it into the wilderness.

The clean sweet smell of the forest makes my head feel clearer, the fresh, piny air like ambrosia. The chirping birds, the sights and sounds of scurrying animal prey are beautiful music to my ears. My blood pumps with excitement as I survey the wondrous majesty of nature on a fresh dawning day.

There was also the blood lust, let’s be clear on that. Today was no different.

I was up at the crack of dawn, my gear already packed the night before, I could enjoy the hearty breakfast that my sleepy wife prepared. I promised her that I would be home by the end of the week and with a quick kiss on her yawning mouth, I grabbed my thermos of hot coffee and dashed out the door. My excitement built as I drove the long miles to a recently scouted forest area deep in the Oregon mountains.

“This year will be a trophy buck,” I vowed, “nothing but the biggest, baddest buck in the forest!”

Upon arrival at my chosen spot, I was elated to see that not a single car or truck was anywhere around. “No other pesky hunters to try and stay away from,” I grinned, “and no competition either!” That was always a problem during regular hunting season, you not only have to be careful of being in the line of fire of other hunters, but you have to be careful not to shoot them as well. Not that I wouldn’t have loved to pot a few at times, especially when they loused up a perfect shot by suddenly stomping on a twig.

This fine October day was perfect though, the air was crisp and cold, there had been a recent rain so no worries about fire dangers. The bucks would be randy, their necks swollen with lust as they were in rut. After checking my gun carefully, I shouldered my pack and scanned the forest line before spotting a tall tree in the distance for a distinct landmark to guide me. Figuring that the distant tree was about four miles away, I stealthily marched on. As I walked, I kept my eyes and ears open for the slightest movement or sound.

When I broke into a small clearing at what I figured was about two miles I spotted the quick flash of movement. The tail flag of a cautious buck, I was sure! Slowly, carefully I crept on, planting each and every footfall with deliberation, careful of dry twigs or rustling leaves.

There again, I saw movement! I thought to myself with pleasure. “Slowly, carefully old friend,” I whispered, “I see you.” I thought of the deer and all my prey as old friends that were competing with me for supremacy, worthy adversaries one and all.

Try as I might, quietly and cleverly quick as I could be, I couldn’t seem to gain any ground on my elusive foe. Every time I thought I was surely getting closer, I would catch the flash of his white tail just a little farther out, always behind a bush or a downed tree, never giving me a clear shot.

Oh you wonderful beast you, I thought, you ARE a clever Nemesis!

Slowly I crept, not bothering to watch for my landmark anymore, I was engrossed in the hunt! Carefully I edged around yet another stand of larger trees. “There! I see you now!” I whispered, before losing sight as he stepped behind another bushy clump. I didn’t let the frustration deter me though, I just moved a little slower, a little more deliberately. I don’t know how many hours passed, in my stalk I never let outside thoughts bother me. In order to be a perfect hunter you have to let your mind single track, no other thoughts, sounds or emotions can cloud your purpose.

Only hours later did I notice that the sun was almost gone from the sky, yet I was still no closer to the magnificent deer. I probably wouldn’t have noticed then either, but it was getting harder to see the flash of his tail in the dim light. There he is, my mind screamed with glee, I broke out into a small clearing, and he was only about ten yards away, now I’ve got you!

I raised my rifle to adjust the sights, but as I tried to zero in on his beautiful brown side I noticed he was staring right back at me. I could swear for a moment he was zeroing in on me as much as I was on him, taking a slow deep breath before squeezing the trigger, I felt then heard, movement off to my right. Hating to risk missing the shot, I had to look to make sure that some other clumsy hunter hadn’t stumbled upon my victory. Not three feet away was another mighty buck, at first his head high and proud, then he lowered his antlers and before I could react he crashed into me.

A hard pain shot up my arm and through my side as his antler caught me, my gun went flying in one direction and I in another. Landing hard on my back, my breath knocked from my lungs, I lay there for a moment trying to breathe. Then, there he was again! His head down and running hard, he charged driving his antlers into my stomach! “Whoosh!” I had thought my wind was knocked out with the first blow, but this hit knocked out even the thought of another breath! Scrambling as quickly as I could manage, I rolled over and over trying to get out of the way of the crazed beast! When I landed against a tree trunk I could feel my right leg snap and a sharp pain paralyzing my whole right side.

As I looked up, my eyes clouding with the pain, I saw four more large bucks standing before me, their eyes red with rage. As if it were choreographed, they lowered their heads for the charge. I was now the prey! It was beautiful, I always loved the kill!
© Copyright 2006 E E Coder (ecoder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1162944-The-Hunt