*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1165203-Tributes
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Animal · #1165203
Halloween flash fiction prompt: Goblin story
Last week a cat started leaving me ‘tributes’. I am not much of a cat person but I have heard that you should show gratitude to the cat for bringing you presents. I would pick up the offering and yell, “Thank you!” just in case the cat could hear me. I didn’t want a pissed-off cat roaming around. Then, in a plastic bag, I carried it through the house to the garage and deposited it in the trashcan. I didn’t want my Yorkie or Lhasa Apso to get a hold of the animal fearing they would choke on the bones not to mention the mess they would make and the possible germs they would get.

Every morning there was a different dead animal placed at my back door. The first was a mouse, then a small bird, a squirrel, a larger bird and finally a raccoon. I decided I had better put a stop to this ritual. The escalation in size of the animals had me worried, what would be next?

The guy at the animal control center suggested a live trap baited with an open can of tuna. I let the dogs out one last time as I set the trap. Taylor never came back. With Wilson safe inside I looked all over the yard calling for Taylor but I never did find him. I stayed up all night. Not just to catch the cat but I was also worried about my Lhasa Apso. After holding my vigil and drinking ten Diet Cokes I finally had to take a break.

When I came back something was in the trap and it was mad. He looked like an ugly garden gnome; I guess it was a goblin. He was yelling in some language I didn’t understand. In his hands he had another offering. It was Taylor’s dead and bloody body.

I wasn’t sure if animal control would have taken the creature and I was still angry about Taylor. I sure hope it will make a good tribute to my goddess on All Hallows’ Eve.
© Copyright 2006 Colleen (adrienne69 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1165203-Tributes