*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166135-The-Wednesday-Night-Poker-Game
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fanfiction · #1166135
flash fiction 500 words, movie monsters
The Wednesday Night Poker Game



“C’mon, Larry,” Victor glowered. “Deal the damn cards, if you please!”

“Just a minute,” Larry sniffed, turning his head. “Do you smell something?”

“I don’t smell anything, damn it!” The doctor surveyed the smoky room’s other occupants. “Mike, do you smell anything? Freddy?”

The large masked man grunted and shook his head. The other, Freddy, rolled his eyes upward, contorting his scarred face. “No, I don’t smell anything, other than your money in front of me.”

“Yes, well we will soon remedy that situation, if Larry will ever deal the damn cards.”

“No kidding, guys!” Larry sniffed again long and hard. “I smell something, something both wonderful and warm. Count? Don’t you smell that?”

Count Dracula took a deep sniff, but immediately was struck with a sudden coughing fit. “Oh yuck, the only thing I can smell is that disgusting stew Brunhilde is brewing in there!”

“No, that’s not it.” Larry growled. “No, there is something coming from outside. Something coming nearer.”

“Would you forget the damn sniffing and stalling, you irritating hairy beast!” Victor thundered, sending Igor stumbling backwards. “DEAL THE DAMNDABLE CARDS!”

“Okay, okay!” Larry swept the playing cards together preparing to shuffle. “You don’t have to get all huffy!”

The good doctor straightened his coat and cast a disdainful glance towards the fallen servant. “Igor, quit acting the fool! Get up from there and straighten up.”

Igor quickly jumped to his feet, manfully trying to pull the curve from his back. “Yes master.” He whimpered.

“Now look what you made me do.” The doctor grumbled, looking to the supine form in front of the fire. “The monster is waking. Now someone is going to have to sing him a lullaby. Not Larry though, that infernal howl of his gives me a headache.”

Igor scampered to the monstrous form, petting and crooning until it settled. “There, there my friend.” He soothed. “Don’t be alarmed, he is just losing again.”

Larry quickly dealt the cards, two face down to each of the players. “Count, you have the first bet.” He smiled, his fangs gleaming in the firelight.

The elegantly clothed Count peered at his cards, before throwing them back down. “Drat, I fold!”

“Henry?” Larry inquired.

“I wager two hundred.” The doctor smiled wickedly at Freddy, seated to his left.

“Two hundred?” Freddy gasped, tossing his cards down.

“Mike, how about you?” Larry smiled at the masked man.

The large masked man peeked at his hidden cards, grunted and pushed his stack of chips forward.

“ALL IN? Are you sure this time?” Larry asked.

The masked man grunted and growled loudly.

“Okay, okayyyy.” Larry whined, narrowing his gleaming yellow eyes. “Don’t make me get all beastly!”

Before he could call the wager, there came the ringing chime of the doorbell. The players all turned to look as Brunhilde swept to the door, her long black gown billowing. “You guys behave now!” She warned.

As the large door groaned open, they all heard the childish voices scream. “TRICK OR TREAT!”
© Copyright 2006 E E Coder (ecoder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166135-The-Wednesday-Night-Poker-Game