*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166478-Chapter-2---Hemmingway
by Flinch
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1166478
My name is Frank Lynch. I live in a town called nothing. This is my story...
Chapter 2




The door creaked when I walked in and my dad looked up from his drink. "How was your day?" He said with no expression on his face.

The house was very dim and set a depressing mood. There was no diner made but everything was surprising clean. I was confused. "Actually, I had a good day." I replied.

There was a pause as I waited for his reaction.

"That’s good cuz so did I. Why don't you take a seat?" He spoke real calmly.

This wasn't what I expected. Was this the calm before the storm? I was confused, but I did what he said and pulled up a seat. There was an empty glass in front of me and he began to unscrew the cap on the bottle of whiskey. He filled up my glass, put the cap back on and slid the bottle to the middle of the table. He was really struggling to say something. He looked at me, took a gasp of air, closed his mouth then looked away. He did this a couple of times.

"Okay. I know you didn't go to school today and that’s alright cuz I didn't go to work today. I didn't even tell them I would be missing a day. I just didn't go in."

This was getting weird. My dad was missing work? That just doesn't happen.

"They won't fire you, will they?" I had to ask.

He laughed as he said, "They couldn't fire me, and I’ll be surprised if they got anything accomplished without me."

"Okay, well what did you do today?" I felt like I was lecturing him.

"Nothing...everything. I walked and I thought. I thought about everything. I thought about how things have been since your mother passed away. I thought about how she would want things to be now that she's gone. Most importantly I thought about what she said to me, the last thing she said to me."

I was on the edge of my seat. I needed a drink.

"She said that you could see it too, and too never hold you back." His eyes began to water. He was fighting his tears and losing.

I stood up from the table and walked over to him. I grabbed him in my arms and squeezed as hard as I could.

"It's alright dad." I began to cry.

After a minute or two he patted my back and broke away from me.
“Don’t be missing school tomorrow.”

“Don’t worry I won’t.”

“It looks like we both have some explaining to do.”

“Well you could write me note.” I knew it was a long shot.

“Not a chance, I don’t get a note, you don’t get a note. I’m tired and need some sleep, good night.”

“Uh…good night” I had so many questions that needed answering. What did my mother say I could see? Hold me back from what? I just couldn’t spit the words out. So instead I watched him walk to his room, leaving me with a long night of thinking. Then I made my way to mine and lied down on the bed.

Staring at the ceiling, I thought about my mother. She died when I was twelve of a heart attack, which is weird because she had the biggest heart of anyone I’ve ever known. I think she was too good for this world, or at least this town that’s for sure. I actually have never met someone else like her now that I mention it, and I’m not just saying that because she’s my mother. It’s weird that of all the people in the village she was the only one that actually cared, and stood for something other than money or material things. I can see a lot of her traits in me, and I’m thankful for that.

My dad wasn’t always a drunk. When my mother was around he actually cared about things. I think she brought it out in him. Now that she’s gone he’s fallen into a downward spiral. For the past four years since she died he’s been drunk, and I’ve been responsible for my own upbringing. Hopefully the talk we had will change our relationship and put things in perspective for him. I love my dad, and I worry that he’s given up all hope.


***


I was up before my dad this morning and thought I’d make breakfast. It’s been awhile since I’ve done something nice for the guy who keeps a roof over my head.
It’s weird that he’s not up yet. I should check on him. I opened the door to his bedroom to find him passed out. A spilt bottle of whiskey lay beside him. “Oh great, so much for our little bonding experience last night.” I shook to try and wake him, but he was out like a light. I would have to stop by his work on my way to school and make some excuse for him.

My dad worked for Tim’s father, Mr. Collins as I called him. He was a strict, money hungry man who never smiled. I wasn‘t going to enjoy talking to him, especially to tell him one of his best employees would be absent for the second day in a row. Mr. Collins ran the only farm in the village, so basically he controlled the food. He demanded respect and always got it too. Whenever I would go over to his house to call on Tim he would give me a look like I wasn’t good enough to step foot on his property. I didn’t care for him too much.

I got my books and stuff ready for school while I ate breakfast. I also left a note for my dad on the table, letting him know that I contacted his work. I figured I just tell Mr. Collins he is sick, but he’ll be in tomorrow for sure. I haven’t even had time to think about what I’m going to say about my absence from school. I’ll just say I had to take care of my sick father or something. I hate lying but sometimes it’s just easier for everyone.

On my way to Collins Farm, I passed by the general store. Of course Ms. Crowley was eyeing the town down through the front window. There was a disappointed look on her face, maybe it was because she seen that I was still in one piece, and that my dad didn’t actually kill me. Either way I had to give her friendly wave and a smile just to let her know that she had no impact on my life. “Crazy old bag.” I muttered to myself.

I was almost at the farm and my nerves were getting the better of me for some reason. I’ve talk to Mr. Collins before; it’s just this time I’m lying to his face. What if he can sense my nervousness and starts interrogating me? He probably smells fear and attacks like a shark at any weakness. Well, my dad is sick in a sense, so I’m not really lying. It’s just that it’s self-inflicted and not a good reason to miss work. No boss wants an employee that can’t control his bad habits.

When I arrived at the farm the laborers were already working hard and the tractors were in full motion. I made my way to the main office where I knew I could reach Mr. Collins. His door was open and I could see him rummaging through his filing cabinet. “Excuse me, Mr. Collins?” I said while giving a little knock on his door.

“Yes what is it?” He said before looking up at me.

“It’s Frank; I just came to tell you my dad would be missing work today. He’s really sick. He said he would be in tomorrow for sure though.”

“Sick? Or do you mean hung over? I can’t have this happening anymore. It’s bad enough when I can smell the alcohol off of him, but when he starts to miss work; it’s a different story. Make sure he comes in tomorrow or there will be consequences.”

“Yes sir.” I quickly replied.

“Alright you should get to school, get out of here.” I quickly left, afraid of any further conversations.

I made it to school just as first class was about to begin. Everyone was still talking lightly, it sounded like a constant hum and you couldn’t make out what anyone was saying. Hopefully I would go undetected and my absence would be overlooked. Just as I had that thought, Ms. Newbourne my teacher, pointed me out. “Frank it’s nice of you to join us today.” She said with a sarcastic tone. “I hope your feeling better, and won’t be missing any other classes.”

“Of course not Ms. Newbourne, I feel much better.”

“Well that’s good because you’re going to be showing up to class an hour early everyday if you can’t show me a note stating why you were absent.”

“I don’t have a note actually because...” She cut me off.

“Well I’ll see you tomorrow at 7 o’clock then, won’t I?” She stood there waiting for a reply, as did the other students in the class.

“It appears that way,” Was all I could come up with. All the students were looking at me and laughing. This is perfect. They already make fun of me for being socially handicapped, but now they’ll think I’m also a coward. This is just great.

The rest of the school day consisted of everyone saying stupid comments like “Don’t forget to set your alarm” and “Way to stand up for yourself Flinch”. I just did what I usually do, ignore them and try to get through the day. The only thing Tim said to me all day was “tough break”. He probably didn’t want to be associated with me while I was the school target, and boy was I an easy target. Ms. Newbourne didn’t get off my case at all throughout the day. She would call on me to answer questions when she knew I was missing during the lesson. She seemed to have been a little harsh on me. I’m not saying she’s usually nice because that would be an outright lie, but I’m not sure if she would give the same punishment to someone else. Either way I would be seeing her face at 7 o’clock in the morning for the next little while.

When the school day ended I caught up with Tim who was making his way home. I just wanted to talk to someone for a second, to clear my head before I went home. “Hey. Well, that was an embarrassing day. I can’t believe she stayed on my case all day.” I was very aggravated about the whole thing.

“It’s because she knew you wouldn’t speak up, and took advantage of it. I think she was trying to make an example out of you, so no one else would cut class.”

“Yeah, well, I did it to myself I guess. I can’t blame anyone else.”

“Hey Flinch guess what?” He got extremely excited like he won a million dollars or something.

“What?”

“We’re going to Hemmingway’s house tonight! Are you interested? It might show some of the kids that you’re not too much of a...coward. What do you say?”

“I should have never told you.” I said lightly.

“Told me what? Do you want to come cuz if you do I’ll meet you somewhere before we go?”

“I don’t think so; I got catching up to do with school.” I felt responsible for what was going to happen to Hemmingway’s house.

“Suit yourself but you’re missing a good opportunity to try and change the way people see you. Anyways I gotta go Flinch, I’ll tell you about it tomorrow.” He took off, running down his driveway all excited.


***


I walked in to an empty house and threw my book bag in my room. Hemmingway’s house was weighing heavily on my mind. I made a quick dinner and thought about ways I could stop the trashing. I couldn’t think of one way to stop it without getting pummeled into the ground by about fifteen people. I couldn’t sit around thinking about it anymore. It was getting dark and they would be starting soon. I put on some dark clothes and headed for the door, not knowing what would happen.

By the time I arrived they were already forming in front of the house. I hid in the bushes and watched. There was nothing I could do.

They were formed like troops side by side. Tim walked by each one giving them rolls of toilet paper and eggs. They stood there armed and ready to destroy. Tim made the fist move by pelting the front door with and egg. There was a second of silence. Then everyone stormed the house. It was quite the sight to see, all these teenagers having such hate for someone they don’t even know. The barrage of toilet paper and eggs lasted around twenty minutes or so. The house looked in rough shape; it would take forever to clean. They all stood there afterwards laughing and giving each other high fives. During there celebration, Tim made his way to the front of the group. He walked up to the house with purpose. With his comrades watching, he picked up a stone and hurled it through the front window. Before the broken glass could hit the ground everyone dispersed.

I sat there wondering why Tim would do such a thing. The trashing usually doesn’t go that far.

© Copyright 2006 Flinch (the_flinch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166478-Chapter-2---Hemmingway