*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170801-IN-THE-WAY-OF-THE-SYMBOLS
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Action/Adventure · #1170801
A science fiction adventure staring an uncertain girl, a strong boy, and an evil queen.
1. EXT. SPACE

The heavenly abyss of stars serves as the backdrop for the main titles.

As a voice over explains the history of the galaxy, several paintings depicting it’s words appear on the screen. images of knights, war, and destruction flash across the screen.

Voice Over
For many years the guardians of peace and tranquility throughout the galaxy were the Re’shen.

The descendents of ancient warriors, the Re’shen once served as the catalyst for the new age of war within the galaxy.

A group of Re’shen had betrayed their noble blood, and cast off their teachings to learn from the dark Empress Maeva in the way of the Symbols.

One Re’shen had given up her faith in the ancient ways. To restore her trust within herself, the ancient spirits had bestowed upon her the powers of a rare sort, ones only taught in the way of the Symbols.

To reunite the Re’shen, she must regain her faith, and battle in the way of the symbols.

CUT TO BLACK

2. INT. CALVICK – THRONE ROOM

The dark and evil Empress Maeva sits in a devilish seat at the center of the throne room as four figures enter the room.

The first two are nameless infantry soldiers. They dress in typical armor and carry long riffles in their hands.

Next, a short old man with white hair and round glasses, being harassed by a wicked women, approaches the throne. He is in panic and fear as he speaks.

Old Man
My queen. I come to you with great concern. I fear that dark times are approaching.


Empress Maeva
Akasha. Is this the priest?

Akasha steps foreword. She is the personal assassin of the empress who brought the Old Man in. She dresses in a dark cloak with a sword at her belt.

Akasha
Yes.

Empress Maeva
Then tell me. What is it that threatens my great empire?

The Old Man, still panicking, pulls from his coat a book. He flips through the pages and holds it up the empress.

Old Man
Dark times approach, my queen. There is little that can be done for you now. Only time will tell.

Empress Maeva
you come to me with no useable information? How brave of you, to risk you’re life like that.

The empress holds up her palm, eyes firing with power. The Old Man instantly grabs his heart, dying of the supernatural pain.

Old Man
Wait… there is… still time…

Empress Maeva
You’re time is up, foolish man.

Old Man
No…

Empress Maeva
Tel me what it is that threatens my kingdom!

The old man gasps as he tries to get out a single word. The empress looses her hold on his heart, and he crouches to the ground.

Empress Maeva
Akasha.

The assassin, Akasha, takes up her sword and points it at the Old Man’s throat.

Empress Maeva
What is the threat?

Old Man
The spirits of the ancients. They are stronger then you are. They can create a warrior strong enough to defeat you and your kingdom.

Empress Maeva
And what is it that I must do to stop this?

Old Man
I already told you. There is no hope for you now.

The empress closes her eyes for a moment, concentrating on what she has just learned. She opens her eyes and glares at her assassin.

Empress Maeva
Akasha!

The Old Man screams as Akasha unleashes a brutal slash with her blade. As the body falls to the ground, Akasha steps out of the way and looks up at her queen.

Akasha
If this warrior has already been created, the it would most likely be on Re’shen homeworld of Barabel.

Empress Maeva
I shall deploy a battalion to search the surface of Barabel. Akasha, it is you’re home world. Is there anywhere or anyone specific you would expect to be connected?

Akasha lets out an evil glare.

Akasha
Ayla Tessel!

CUT TO BLACK




3. INT. BARABEL – THE RUBBIE CAFÉ

A young adventurer enters the smoke filled café. She is Ayla Tessel, a 16 year-old girl with red hair. She wears typical clothes with a sword at her belt.

She glances around the room in search of someone. Not seeing him, she begins to walk through the room and eventually sit at the bar.

4. EXT. BARABEL – STREETS

A hooded man approaches the entrence to The Rubbie Café. sitting on it’s steps is a small alien. The hooded man holds up a picture to the alien.

The alien makes strange sounds at it examines the picture, and eventually pointes inside the café.

Satisfied, the hooded man puts the picture away and walks into the café.

5. BARABEL – THE RUBBIE CAFÉ

Sitting at a booth in the back of the café, Shane Fyre wears a green and black suit with casual pants, and bares a pistol in its holster. He is only sixteen, but already has several more than noticeable scars.

Sitting next him is Duran, a beastly alien body guard. The creature appears horrid as he speaks in a deep voice.

Duran
Are you sure we have the right place?

Shane
More or less.

Shane sees Ayla sitting at the bar, and walks over to get her attention.

As he approaches, Ayla immediately notices him. She jumps from her seat and embraces him.

Ayla
Long time no see, Shane.

Shane
Being on the run all the time makes me busy. You know how the estate is. I turn them down but they just keep coming.

Ayla
How are the negotiations coming?
Shane
Deadly.

Ayla smiles as the two walk back and sit down next to Duran.

Duran
Good to see you again, Ayla.

Shane
So how are things back at the Palace?

Ayla
Everything seems to be getting back to normal.

Shane
Are you getting control of you’re powers back?

Ayla

Somewhat. It’s hard to even try, when you consider what Akasha did to me.

Duran
To equals, different teachings.

Ayla
The symbols are not as strong as we are. But the Re’shen, I me we, still think there is hope for Akasha. Some of them, I mean us, still have faith in her.

Shane
Do you?

Ayla
I don’t even have faith in myself.

The hooded man appears in the back of the café, showing his picture to the bartender. As the bartender points over at Shane’s table, Ayla feels a sudden shriek of fear.

The hooded man puts the picture away and begins to walk towards the table. As this happens, Ayla closes her eyes and shows a painful expression.

Shane
We’re about to have trouble.

Duran
Something wrong with her.

Shane
What?

The hooded man is still walking towards them when Shane sees him for the first time.

Shane
Ayla!

Ayla, still with her eyes closed, begins muttering words to her self quickly. She suddenly stands up, opens her eyes, and holds her palm out at the hooded man.

The hooded man immediately falls backwards, landing on the floor. He tries to get back up, but the force being exerted from Ayla’s power prevents that.

Bartender
No psycho-powers! Please! Take it outside!

Shane
We have to get out of here.

Ayla
Go, I can handle him myself.

Shane
Clearly you can’t. Duran will take you to the ship. I’ll be there as soon as possible. Start her up with up me.

Ayla hesitates for a moment.

Ayla
Alright.

She lowers her palm and runs out the back door with Duran, as Shane pulls out his pistol, scaring off a few customers by just waving it around.

The hooded man stands up, his hood knocked back to reveal a really human young man, no older than Shane himself, and has a deadly grin on his face.

Shane
Katris?

The hooded man, Katris, holds out his hand at Shane. Seeing what his opponent is about to do, Shane points his pistol at him.

Shane
Oh no you don’t.

Shane pulls the trigger, only grazing the enemy’s shoulder. Before Katris can fire his attack, Shane fires again, this time striking his chest.

Shane watches as Katris falls to the ground, holding his chest.

Before being hassled by the bartender, Shane manages to run out the back door.

6. INT. THE DARKFIRE – COCKPIT

Ayla passes back and forth as Duran starts up the ship.

Ayla
We have to go back for him.

Duran
Shane can handle himself.

The two proceed with what they were doing, as Shane runs in.

Ayla
Shane!

Shane immediately sits down next to Duran, Ayla keeping close to him.

Shane
Duran we have to jet out of here fast.

Ayla
Who was it?

Shane
Katris. And I’d take it he wasn’t there for the drinks.

Ayla
Katris? Are you sure it wasn’t somebody else?

Shane
I could recognize those eyes from a mile away.

7. EXT. BARABEL - RUNWAY

A young girl in a red dress attempts to sell flowers to an older man. As his interest in her grows, he moves closer to her.

Suddenly, a space ship, Shane’s The Darkfire flies over head. being oblivious to what just happens, the young girl continues to show him her flowers, yet the man however is shocked by the sight.

8. INT. THE DARKFIRE – COCKPIT

The three stare at the stars in space before them as the ship steadily flies through space. Duran pears closely at the status monitor while Shane handles the controls.

Ayla, fear still overwhelming her, grabs hold of her hand, trying better to understand her powers.

Duran
We’re clear.

Shane lets out a sigh of relief, puts his hands behind his head, and smiles up at Ayla.

Shane
Well, my lady, where is it you would like to go?

Ayla
I used my powers tonight. The Re’shen will find me. once I lost my faith, I stopped using my powers. I fell of the radar.

Shane
And when you bound Katris tonight…

Ayla
Katris? That was Katris?

Shane
Yeah, I know we can’t kill him with anything manmade, but I thought you may have weakened him.

Ayla
It’s a good thing we left as soon as possible. He’s probably reporting back to the Empress as we speak. Or worse…

Shane
Akasha…

Ayla
I still had little faith in her… that she might be able to come back to us…

Shane
“Us?”

Ayla
The… never mind.

Shane
Ayla, you know what you really are.

Ayla
A Re’shen… That part of my life is gone now.

Shane
Alright… Duran.

Duran
Yes?

Shane
Set a coarse for…

Ayla
Costella. The Re’shen don’t have contacts there.

Shane
What about Akasha and Katris?

Duran
We can try and block their tracers. But it maybe be tough, because The Darkfire got busted in the last… negotiation.

Ayla
Then we’ll be quiet. Just go.

Duran
Setting a coarse for Costella.

FADE OUT

9. INT. ESPER – SECOND MOON - MOON BASE

A small team of pilots fallow Akasha down a small hallway, towards medical crew.

Akasha
How is Katris?

Doctor
He was shot in his chest.

Akasha
That won’t be a problem for him. He’s a fast healer.

Doctor
Still, he wont be able to movie for a while.

A general approaches Akasha. He bows at her.

General
We have a reading on The Darkfire. It was seen leaving the area near the Rubbie Café after Katris was shot. Ayla Tessel, and two other men where on board.

Akasha
Where are they going?

General
We belive that they have set a coarse for the Z System. There are only two planets that are suitable for them to hide on. Gibson and Costella.

Akasha
Then we shall go to Costella first. That is what Ayla Tessel would do…

FADE OUT


10. INT. THE DARKFIRE – LOUNGE

Ayla sits huddled in the corner. Shane walks up to her and sits down.

Shane
Hey, what’s wrong with you?

Ayla
I forgot what it was like to be in space. It’s cold.

Shane
Yeah. It’s kind of like sailing in the ocean.

Ayla
But this ocean is full of stars.

Shane
Maybe when this is all over, you can go back to the Re’shen.

Ayla
I doubt it. Akasha will fallow us to Costella. No matter what happens there, I can never go back…

11. INT. THE DARKFIRE – COCKPIT

Duran is sitting at the controls when Shane enters.

Duran
We’re coming up on Costella, preparing to take her down.

FADE OUT



12. EXT. COSTELLA – WOODS

The three adventurers enter a maze of tall trees. Green leaves and branches stand in their path. Ayla holds a handheld device in her palm, looking deeply at it’s screen.

Ayla
I think we’re gonna be safe for some time.

Shane
We better get back to the ship then.

The three turn around and proceed into a tree groove. suddenly they see Akasha and Katris standing in front of them.

Akasha
Hello there.

Ayla
How did you…

Akasha
Surprise? It wasn’t hard to fallow you. After all, you and I are very similar.

Ayla
You’ve been twisted by the Empress. You and I are nothing alike.

Akasha
Oh, but we are. Both of us running from what we truly are, taking a path that defies the Re’shen, only to benefit ourselves.

Akasha holds up her palm, Ayla immediately is taken by the power and bound in place.

Shane
Ayla!

Akasha
This power. you want to learn it, don’t you? Then that can happen. But you must come back with me, to learn in the way of the symbols.


Ayla
You’re wrong… I don’t need this power.

Ayla brakes free from the bound, sending Akasha backwards. Now confident, Ayla stands strong. She takes a step towards Akasha and holds up her own palm.

Akasha stands up, holding up her sword.

Akasha
It seems that we can not challenge each other with our skills in the way of symbols. But…


Ayla
… by our skills with a blade.

Ayla holds out her own sword, and points the tip[ at Akasha.

Ayla
Shane. Duran. Get back to the ship.

Shane
Right.

The two run off into the woods towards the ship.

Akasha
Katris. why don’t you show the boy and his beast how to fight?

13. EXT. COSTELLA – WOODY PATH

Katris runs off into the woods, keeping on Shane and Duran’s tail. As Shane begins to notice him, he quickly pulls out his pistol.

Shane
Guess we aren’t gonna get out of this that easily.

Shane turns around and fires at Katris, who dodges the attack and speeds foreword even faster.

Shane
Uh-oh… I guess we really can’t beat him our way.

The two continue running. At one point, Shane turns around and sees that Katris is no longer behind them, and stops. When Duran stops and turns around as well, they both look at each other and then look back foreword, where Katris now stands.

Katris lunges an upon hand foreword, which the two dodge. Immediately a short frenzy of Duran and Shane avoiding his attacks carries on for a few moments.

Duran swerves behind Katris and strikes him in the back with his claws.

Katris bends foreword, but quickly recoils and knocks Duran down with his elbow. He then proceeds to lunge at Shane several times.

14. EXT. COSTELLA - TREE GROOVE

Ayla and Akasha lock swords for the first time. This begins a duel in which they both show powerful skills with their swords.

As they constantly block each other’s slashes, the fight progresses through the woods.

Mistakenly, Ayla trips on a large rock beneath her feet and lands on her back, sword to far from her hand. She tries to reach for her sword, then looks up to see Akasha’s blade point right in her face.

Akasha
Fool. you always were the weakest at the Palace.

Ayla
You’re wrong!

Ayla throws her palm at Akasha, throwing her backwards. she stands up and retrieves her sword, but at this point Akasha is already standing and blocks Ayla’s first blow.

15. EXT. COSTELLA – WOODY PATH

Duran gets up and continues the fist fight with Katris. But alongside Shane, they are still no match for the warrior. He dodges any of their attacks, and manages to unleash devastating blows that repeatedly knock them down.

16. EXT. COSTELLA – TREE GROOVE

The duel continues as the girls continue to bash their blades at each other. Ayla docks a horizontal slash and grabs at a long branch, which she tries to sticks in Akasha’s blade.

Startled, Akasha tries to shake the branch off. During this time, Akasha is kicked to the ground. However, she quickly gets up and grabs her sword in time to block another attack.

The duel continues, with Ayla dashing behind trees, twisting and turning, while Akasha remains in a solid stance.

Akasha
Quit fooling around.

Ayla
Whats wrong?

Ayla sweeps her blade down at Akasha, who blocks with a great deal of force. The two appear to stand still, trying to nock the other down with their blades.

17. EXT. COSTELLA – WOODY PATH

Duran and Shane continue their fight with Katris. The two are getting weak as he has barely broken a sweat. He suddenly stops fighting, and stares at them with a hard leer.

18. EXT. COSTELLA - TREE GROOVE

The tension between the girls rises as their swords remain locked. Akasha stare darkly at Ayla.

Akasha
You’ve gotten stronger. Almost as strong as the symbols.

Ayla
You’ve gone mad.

Akasha
We’re all mad.

Ayla
No. Some of us just have a harder time dealing with lose.

Ayla finally knocks Akasha’s sword out of her hands and far into the trees. Her eyes filled with fear, Akasha falls down.

With her sword at her rival’s throat, Ayla finally stands tall in victory.



19. EXT. COSTELLA – WOODY PATH

Katris smiles, showing his teeth. He holds up his hands and points his palms at Shane and Duran.

Shane
Oh no…

He pulls out his pistol and fires all of his bullets at Katris, who grabs his chest for a moment, but still manages to hold his hands up.

Duran
Now what?

Shane
I’m out of ideas.

Duran holds up his own gun, and fires several rounds at Katris. Their foe’s eyes widen, as he falls to the ground defeated.

Shane
Is he dead?

Duran
No. Only…broken. We have to get back to the ship.

Shane
We have to get Ayla first.

Duran
Alright.

The two leave Katris behind and run off into the trees.

20. EXT. COSTELLA – WOODS

As Shane and Duran continue through the trees, they spot another cloaked figure. She lowers her hood, and reveals herself to be Empress Maeva.

Empress Maeva
Good to see you, Shane.

Shane
Maeva Lynn, I figured you were the one controlling the symbols.

Empress Maeva
It has been my destiny since the beginning. I only needed Katris and Akasha to fully carry out my plans.

Shane
Traitor.

Empress Maeva
Call me what you want, you can not defeat me so there is no hope for you or your friend. Turn yourselves in now.

The two stand still for a moment, suddenly beaten.

The empress waves her hand at Duran, whose gone falls to the floor.

Empress Maeva
Come now, we don’t want to keep the symbols waiting.

Fade Out.

21. EXT. COSTELLA – WOODS

Ayla stares down at the floor and picks up Duran’s gun. She hears a twig break, and turns to see Akasha standing behind her.

Without the word Ayla drops the gun and enters a quick duel with Akasha, who had retrieved her sword. It lasts only for a moment until both of their swords are lost.

Instantly, they both hold up their palms, unleashing their invisible powers at each other. This carries on for a moment until Akasha is finally thrown to the ground for the last time, defeated at last.

Ayla
Akasha, don’t you understand. The Empress was only using you. She left you here and captured Shane and Duran. she has bigger plans, I’m sure of it. and you’re not a part of them!


Akasha
You lie!

Akasha swings her hand at Ayla, but she deflects the attack and continues.

Ayla
We have to work together. It is the only way to get our lives back. We’ve both been betrayed by what we stood for, more than once, but we can still stand up for what we feel is right. She took my friends, and left you here to die. We can overcome her. We can defeat her!

Ayla holds out her hand to help up Akasha, who remains on the floor for a moment. She looks up into Ayla’s eyes, lifts up her hands.

Ayla
We can defeat her together.

Akasha, suddenly convinced, denounces her dark ways and grabs her friend’s hand.

FADE OUT
© Copyright 2006 Victor J. Blade (kairou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170801-IN-THE-WAY-OF-THE-SYMBOLS