*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170839-Chapter-3-A-New-Dawn
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1170839
Third Chapter in my fantasy novel, shifts POV to the emperor.
Chapter 3

“General I will ask you one last time, what happened in that Sand Trader camp!”

“My liege, Emperor, we destroyed the post. It is still burning as we speak. But the officer in command never reported. I sent scouts….and they found the bodies. Mangled terribly, some of them burned, and one was frozen though I don’t know how.”

“Magic…” muttered Riyal.

“I don’t know about magic, but something went horribly wrong. They were sent there to kill the spies and destroy the camp if they had to.”

“And they accomplished nothing! The camp is destroyed, yes, but what of the spies? We can only assume they are still alive! How else is one of my best squads taken out?”

“I…don’t know. Their bodies weren’t recovered.”

“Get out of my sight before I have you burned alive.”

“Yes, my liege.” came a soft response from the General.

         This was not good. Those damn rebels; why couldn’t they just die. Instead now I am missing yet another general thought Riyal. The spies had been hard to track, and now they were gone again. A deep rage rose up inside him from the thought of starting the work over again. Seven weeks of tracking, planning, and researching all had culminated in Shanta-Ris, but it was all for naught. I should have done it myself. I’ll have that idiot commander’s head on a stake before the night is through.

         In a fit of rage Riyal flung a sword that was leaning against his desk across the room. A sharp twang echoed through the hall as the sword embedded itself in the heavy oak door. Riyal did not generally show emotions this clearly. Taught by the best, he was always in control. These rebels though, they were getting better. This was the third one to get away. Three! The people were catching on too, and soon the whole of Talindak’s capital, Celusia, would be in turmoil.

         I need a walk. That should clear my head…thought Riyal. How long would this go on? For god’s sake Riyal was a hero! He took the helm after defeating those blasted elves in Hennepin’s Glade, he rescued this country! Now it was all unraveling. Osake the Fifth, leader of the rebels, was gaining strength. Soon the dwarves would side with him, and then the whole kingdom could be gone with one swift battle.

         What of the prophecy now? It was rumored that the boy had sided with the rebels. If that was true there was no chance. He needed that boy.

         The first commander he passed, Riyal ordered, “Hey. You know the prophecy right? Get me the boy. Don’t waste any more time with the damn spies, get me that boy!”

“Yes, sir.”

         Good. Someone who listened and didn’t make excuses all the time. Maybe I’ll promote him…wondered the Emperor. That was for later though. He needed to think. The Sand Traders wouldn’t be happy about their post.




         The next few days were hell for Riyal. The Sand Traders had come themselves from the desert to complain, and not just the general people, their leader! Riyal didn’t particularly care, as he could neither remember nor pronounce the woman’s name. He had been grilled with complaints about national security. Commerce was weakening. Ships kept going missing. It was a disaster, and the people wanted to impeach him! Riyal guaranteed them that he was tripling the country’s efforts by sending armed guards on every outbound ship, but would they listen? No. They were too set on getting rid of him.

         No matter. The process would take years, and that was enough time to take down this rebellion. Soldiers were indeed being mobilized, but not for security purposes. Hey maybe when the people see more guards they will stop being so paranoid. Inside, he doubted it. But then again, he didn’t care.

“Sire! The boy is still yet to be located. He was believed to be seen in the marketplace in Claiit, but no one really knows because the only thing different about him is that scar.”

“Very well. Good job commander keep searching.”

         The stocky little creature bowed out of the Emperor’s study. The study was Riyal’s favorite place in the entire castle; it was the only place that let him quiet down and truly think. The walls were of stone, as was everything else in his palace, but most of it was covered with expensive tapestries from faraway lands; many of them colored in a rich crimson or gold. Torches lined the rim of the study, leading up to the great oak doors on either side of the room. One led to the castle, the other to Riyal’s private quarters. No one was allowed there. No one but Riyal knew what it looked like. No one had ever even seen him go in there.

         Riyal needed a break from all of this. Ever since he had taken over, well nearly one hundred years ago, the country had been plagued in turmoil and war. Maybe if they weren’t always trying to revolt…

         Plopping himself down in a great armchair, Riyal let out a long sigh and turned to his work. No time for a break. And that was true. The crazy sand woman was meeting with him in an hour, and he need to get an excuse ready, and begin to plan once again.

* * * * * *


“Emperor! This is the third encampment of ours this year! What are you going to do about it!”

“Frankly your, er, leadership, I’m not going to do much of anything. Now here’s what I could do,” he quickly added after seeing the menacing look she gave him, might as well explain myself…,”I could try and send troops to the desert. Well what would happen? They would hate it and many would die of heat exhaustion. Waste of funds. I could try and rebuild your camps. That would cost me a lot of money I don’t currently have, and remember your kind isn’t exactly the most law abiding clan around, so any money I do throw your way is just going to make people hate me more. So here are your options. You could start following my laws, and maybe I would be more inclined to help. Or you can carry on killing people and selling their stuff, heck I don’t care what you do. But I am not going to help when you come crying. End of story.” Not a bad argument. That ought to shut her up for a while. It did. The Sand leader’s face flushed red, and she stalked off.

         Eh, maybe a good argument, but the Sand Traders are definitely not in my circle of friends anymore. Now about that boy. He was certainly elusive. Someone has probably told him everything. He’s probably holed up in a mountain with Osake by now. But that wasn’t for sure, so the sentries were sent out anyways. Probably a waste of time. Who cares they don’t have anything else to do right now.

         Suddenly the doors crashed open and in rushed a General. “Emperor! Sire! The Sentries! They’re back!” came a shout from the Llendak, “They found the boy!”
Riyal gave him a defiant smirk. Excellent.

“Follow him. Bring him to me.”

“Well they found him, but are about two days behind.”

“Catch up, and bring him to me! Unharmed!”
© Copyright 2006 Complexo (southsidehcky at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1170839-Chapter-3-A-New-Dawn