*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173256-Locked-Doors
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1173256
short story written for english-- takes place in the future
This short story takes place in 2040, where violence has needed to become so censored that tv, movies, and music has been banned. People locked up their houses in total fear and police officers could not be relied upon. The world had become violent and dangerious....


Locked Doors

"Hey Mumma, is it true that Gramma never locked her doors when she was a child?" Little Emily's eyes gazed up at her tall, thin beautiful mother.
"Yes, Even at night." Mumma replied.
"Even at night?" Emily had always had such a big curiosity for things that once were.
"Yes Em, even at night. Now go to bed. Its late and you have school in the morning." Emily wandered into her bedroom in deep thought to get her pajamas on.
"Hey Mumma?" she called from her bedroom. "How come we have to lock the door?"
"Because the world is dangerous, but don't you worry, this house will protect you and me." Mumma replied.
"Did you ever lock your doors when you were a kid?"
"No, but we lived far away from the city, away from anyone that could hurt us." Mumma rubbed her eyes, today was a 12 hour shift. She'd been working so hard to make ends meet ever since he left her. "Now go to bed sweetie, come here for a kiss." Emily ran to her mother and kissed her goodnight.
"I want to be just like Gramma. I want to live in those times!" Emily exclaimed excitedly. Her imagination was running wild just like any other 7 year old. "it seemed as if in Gramma's time everything was safe! She even told me she used to go for walks late at night down the street and back!"
"Good night my angel. Sweet dreams! And remember I've got to leave for work early before you get up, so give me an extra kiss for tomorrow, and be good to your Gramma when she comes to take you to school tomorrow morning." Mumma hugged Emily once again.
"I'm always good for Gramma!" Emily replied. She kissed her mother then went off to her bedroom. After her lights went out Mumma slipped outside the backdoor for a cigarette, she tried to quit, but never could.

Emily could not sleep. She lay in bed for a few minutes tossing and turning, but still her curiosity kept her awake. She came skipping out of her room and went to the front door. She wondered to herself if Gramma would be able to get into the house in the morning to get her, since she was so used to unlocked doors. Emily unlocked the front door and with a giggle she had convinced herself that she was in Gramma's day. Part of her thought about going for a walk down the street imagining the beautiful stars and moon shining down on her. Something tiny windows in the house did not expose.

Mumma through her cigarette down on the ground and turned around to head inside, she turned back just for a second debating weather or not she should step on it to put it out. she stomped on it once, then unlocked the back door and walked into the house. she walked to Emily's bedroom, and peered in the door. her bed lay empty. Mumma panicked, she looked in her bedroom to make sure the child hadn't crawled into her bed from a nightmare. she went to the front door, and realized it was unlocked. she opened the door and looked down the street and the child could not be seen.
"Emily?!" Mumma called. her called echo down the neighbourhood. but there was no answer.

By now, Emily had wandered as far as she wanted to go. she had only made it to her tiny backyard. the darkness scared her terribly. The shadows that moved around her seemed to be like monsters to her waving their arms. She ran back to the front door and noticed it was ajar.

All Emily could think was how much trouble she'd be in with Mumma. she knew the door was open only becuase Mumma had discovered she had left. Mumma would certainly ground her for sure. perhaps even send her away to live at Gramma's because of her bad behaviour. Emily sat down beside the door in the bushes hiding. She fathomed that maybe if she waited long enough Mumma would go to bed, then she'd slip in --Lock the door-- then go to bed, and if Mumma were to say anything she'd say it was just a bad dream, and that everythings alright. this was her plan. Emily laid down in the bushes and listened, and waited. she couldn't hear anything except for the crickets around her. the wind was strong tonight, however the bushes sheltered her from it all. She soon fell asleep curled up in the bushes.

"Emily? Emily? wake up child! what are you doing in the bushes?" Emily thought it was mother scolding her. she stirred then open her eyes, she jolted when she realized it was Gramma leaning over her.
"Gramma, i'm sorry i fell asleep out here, don't tell Mumma!" Emily begged. Gramma's face changed, and Emily had sensed that something was wrong.
"Mumma knows doesn't she? I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare her! I promise!" Emily stood up and looked at the front door, it was still ajar. "Is Mumma still home?" Gramma still didn't answer. and Emily assumed that Mumma was sitting in the house waiting for her to tell her off. this would mean Mumma would have missed work--and maybe even her job. Emily ran into her house, Gramma followed.
"Em! Wait, i need to talk to you!" Gramma chased after her. Emily stopped when she saw Mumma laying on the couch.
"Mumma slept in?" Emily said turning around to face her Gramma. "Why didn't you wake her for work? she's going to be very angry at you Gramma!"
"Emily, i have a couple of questions to ask you," Gramma started.
"Questions? i need to get to school i'll be late and Mumma needs to get ready for work or she'll loose her job!" Emily ran up to her, she stopped when she saw a trail of blood running down the couch.
"Gramma? Mumma's hurt..."
"Emily, did anyone come into the house last night?" Gramma asked. Emily thought to herself. "Emily, did your Mumma lock the door last night?"
"Yeh she locked the door, when we got home from your house i reme---" suddenly Emily remembered her being outside, and her unlocking the door. a horrible feeling came over her. "Gramma? This is all my fault...Gramma phone the hospital Mumma's hurt. all because of me." she came closer to her Mumma and knelt down beside her, she touched her face. it was cold. "Mumma, its okay, i'm here, i'm sorry i went out last night i'm so sorry."
"Finally, the police are here," Gramma muttered to herself standing up. she walked down to the front door to greet a police officer. "Took you all long enough to get here..." The police officer walked through the door. Emily greeted him.
"Gramma? is he here to arrest me?" Emily asked.
"No child hes not here to arrest you." Gramma whispered. "now come with me, and let the police officer do his work," she put her arm around Emily and started leading her out.
"No sign of forced entry, the suspect must of just walked right through the front door, doesn't even looked as if it was locked!" a police officer said to the other. "She must have invited the suspect in..." the 2 police officers laughed to themselves. Gramma sighed and Emily turned around, she back to her Mumma an started shaking her. the police officer picked her up, and handed her to her Gramma.
"Emily, don't be silly and come with me, we have to go."
"Gramma? whats wrong with Mumma?" Emily asked.
"She's passed away Emily." A tear ran down Gramma's faced, and Emily wondered if this was the only time she'd seen Gramma cry.
"Passed away? but she was fine last night, she wasn't even feeling sick!" Emily couldn't understand it.
"Emily listen to me, remember that kid, Jessica in your class a couple of years ago that disapeared and never came back?" Emily thought for a second.
"Yeah..." Emily remembered, Mumma told her that Jessica had 'moved onto another place.' Emily looked up into Gramma's eyes...
"Gramma? Is Mumma with that Jessica now?" Gramma hesitated.
"Yes, she is." Gramma replied.
"Mumma always said Jessica needed a Mummy." Emily thought for a minute. "mumma says Jessica would never be coming back again, does that mean Mumma's never coming back again?"
"Yes Emily. Mumma's gone to a better place." Gramma wiped the tears off her face.
"Gramma? did people go to other places this much when you were a kid?"
"No Em, it was only the 1980's and 90's. it was much more safer then." Gramma replied distantly. and it was this moment when Emily felt a lump in her throat. Tears fell down her face. she couldn't understand this horrible sadness that came over her. All she wanted was to go back in time.
© Copyright 2006 astraldancer (astraldancer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173256-Locked-Doors