*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173735-Correspondance
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Emotional · #1173735
A man discovers a simple email can destroy his life.
Execise caution when dealing with strangers on the internet

         Manny looked around in astonishment at the empty living room. His first impression was that they were robbed. Everything was gone. All that was left were a few hooks and nails in the walls where the family photo's once were mounted. Making his way to the kitchen he noticed the shine on floor. It was all too obvious to him. It was Wednesday; the maids had in fact been in to do their cleaning.

         Not even the phone remained, not a single piece of furniture. It was then that Manny realized Jean and the kids were gone. "Why?" he moaned as he slunk down on the staircase that lead to the upstairs bedrooms. Manny took inventory of the last few weeks. Everything was going so well- at least he thought so. They had just moved into their dream home, the one it took them years to afford. Jean had taken such pride in planning the move making sure every detail was covered. They were so blissfully happy. Writing out the check to pay for the house in full was just the icing on the cake. After 15 years they could finally afford the lifestyle they had always dreamed of. Why on earth would she leave him now? His mind was whirling.

         Raising himself slowly he made his way to the top of the winding staircase and stood there on the threshold of the master bedroom. The one with the marble tile and Jacuzzi tub Jean had insisted she had to have. The master bedroom was the reason they purchased this home. There were dozens of others with similar layouts they could have bought but this was the one Jean fell in love with. Manny overwhelmed by confusion noticed that a few items remained. The desk, complete with computer still plugged in and logged on - fully connected. It hit him then - like a brick in the face - the emails. Jean had discovered the emails. He removed the keys from the pocket of his trousers an hurled them at the computer screen, the hit with a tink bounced off landing on the desk with a thunk.

         The screen zapped to life with a single touch of the mouse. He gasped as he read the email, still open with his address in the TO: section and Elaine's as the FROM. Not believing what he was reading he read the words over and over again. How could this be possible. Manny was sure he had never lead Elaine to believe a physical relationship was possible. She was aware of his family life and promised to be discreet. "Bitch" He mumbled.


My secret lover, we made love only one time - it was the best time of my life. The feel of your hands on my body, the sweet kisses on my neck the feel of you inside of me, driving me to heights I have only reached in dreams. I wish it could happen again. Until then I wait in anticipation of that day. Yours always,
Elaine.


         Now it was so clear in his mind what was happening. He furiously dialed Jeans cell phone number..."We're sorry the number you have reached has been disconnected" Manny remembered - when Jean first discovered he was corresponding with this woman by email and sometimes by phone. Her words rang loudly in his brain like a bell tolling for the dead.

         Knowing he was naive at times Jean had given Manny that valuable piece of advice one that he had ignored. One he now wished he had listened to. Today Manny understood what Jean had known all along.



" You never know who you are dealing with....the internet is a place where someone can be anything they want and you have no way of knowing. You have put yourself at the mercy of someone you don't know at all. For all you know they could be a psychopath and you are none the wiser. I don't appreciate being in that position without my knowledge or consent"


Having never met this woman Elaine in person - Manny now saw clearly the danger she presented, the power he had so ignorantly given to her.


© Copyright 2006 Dreamer73 (jvasco1973 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1173735-Correspondance