*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174583-Sugar-and-Snaps
Rated: E · Prose · Animal · #1174583
Are you sugar and spice or a puppy dog's tail?
SUGAR AND SNAPS
October 22, 2006


I remember hearing the poem about what little girls are made of; sugar and spice and everything nice. Someone was assuming an awful lot, I thought. Sugar and spice sounds so appealing and tasty and something you’d want to have around at all times, yet it’s intimidating too. How could anyone live up to everything nice? How could she compare herself to plaid lunch boxes, midnight blue Crayola crayons, the sound of hoof beats, creaking leather saddles, roller skating, and Waldameer?

Personally, I’d much rather be compared to the stuff of boys; snaps and snails and puppy dog’s tails. Now those were things I could easily aspire to, and what’s more, enjoy! I don’t know about the snails, but snaps are certainly fun. A snap is something that happens when you climb trees and crack a whip and put cards in your spokes and hang streamers from your handlebars. A snap is quick, noisy, alive–! It fastens boots and winter coats and lunch boxes and pencil cases. A snap is visual, audible, and tangible as icicles, candy canes, and twigs.

And a puppy dog’s tail? Who wouldn’t want to be wagging in the air? With the wind blowing your fur? Bobbing at a gallop across a field, gathering weed bits and dirt particles, flower petals and dandelion seeds as you go? Following a perky pup as it pants and barks and flops its ears and smiles and begs and rolls over on command?

Sure, sugar is sweet and tastes good on Cheerios, black berries, and pancakes, and spices are full of flavor too, but a snap is powerful and a puppy dog’s tail is essential.
© Copyright 2006 Pony Tale (ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174583-Sugar-and-Snaps