*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174654-Protect-and-Serve
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #1174654
A cop makes a promise to his wife
Winning entry on 11/13/06 (when I was still a black case) in the 'Short Fiction Contest'
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1115385 by Not Available.

Prompt: "A single shot rang out in the darkness..."
Word count:339


Protect and Serve

Officer Mike O’Brien didn’t like the feel of the vest under his blue uniform but he had made a promise to his wife. If wearing it made Jenny happy, he could put up with a little discomfort. He smiled, remembering the peck on his right cheek she had given him a few hours ago as he said good-bye.

A red Trans Am ignored a red light and sped through an intersection, racing down the street.

Mike hit his lights and began pursuing the vehicle, expecting another routine traffic stop.

“Dispatch, Unit 12…I’m going code 9 in pursuit of red Trans Am on 46th.”

“Copy Unit 12…code 9 on 46th.”

The vehicle screeched to a stop after being followed six blocks. Mike pulled up behind, lighting the vehicle's interior with his spot light.

“Dispatch...Unit 12, vehicle stopped at 46th and Grover...subjects Caucasian, times two…stand by.”

“Copy Unit 12…traffic stop…46th and Grover…standing by.”

Mike shut the motor off. Cautiously stepping from his police cruiser, he began walking toward the driver’s side with his hand resting on the butt of his weapon.

“How you doing tonight sir?” the uniformed cop asked as he bent over the vehicle.

“What’s your problem man?” the driver answered.

“Sir, you went through a red light six blocks back. May I see your driver’s…put your hands on the wheel sir, now! Let me see your hands!”

Mike jumped back a few feet; gripping his revolver. He had caught a glimpse of shiny metal in the front seat.

“Get your hands up where I can see them driver…passenger…stay in the car.”

The cop’s mind raced as the adrenalin pumped through his veins. Both subjects had guns at their sides.

“Dispatch…Unit 12…code 8...repeat code 8…subjects armed.”

“Copy Unit 12…code 8…units responding…46th and Grover.”

A single shot rang out in the darkness from the passenger side of the red Trans Am.
Officer O’Brien was struck in the right cheek. He was dead before he hit the pavement.

“Unit 12…respond.”

“Unit 12…respond. Do you copy?”

“Unit 12…Unit 12!”


Prompt: “A single shot rang out in the darkness…”

Author’s notes: Each year, between 140 and 160 police officers are killed in the line of duty in the United States. Families and co-workers are left to cope with the tragic loss.

Code 9: Traffic stop
Code 8: Officer requesting assistance
© Copyright 2006 Coffeebean (lastcactus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1174654-Protect-and-Serve