*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1175654-Parallel
by Brook
Rated: E · Draft · Sci-fi · #1175654
Roc is different from an Earth boy. He is about to find out why, from a surprising source.
  Roc turned away from the launch pad. His dad was gone- again- and he was left to mind the shop. Some life! He knew so many stars, but he wanted to be among them.
 
  A typical Salisar boy, he had bleached tan skin and silver-black hair. He was named after a mythical creature- like so many of his friends- and sometimes he felt like a myth.

  He glanced at his watch- five fifteen local time. That left him ten minutes to catch the bus. He sighed. [i]Why do I have nothing better to do than say goodbye and catch a shuttle?[/i]
 
"If it isn't Roc the Remote." Aries gave him the customary thump on the shoulder. "The usual place?" she asked, eyes bright.
 
  The "usual place" was Circuit Shop, a dealer of technology's odds and ends. There Roc had bought many a small treasure. Now the shop was closed.
  He went in anyway and found a note on the counter.
                   
                    Dear Roc, gone on an errand. Help yourself to something; don't mind
                    the price.
 
  A crystalline battery caught his eye. These were always useful. He picked it up, checked the power, and pocketed it. Was that a game console? Yes! He examined it. Even better, it had a liquid screen!
  For a moment he hesitated, then laughed as he saw another note on the game tray.
                Take it! The games are in the back.
                 
  He chose two games, Raider Neptune and Cyber War. Interesting titles, he thought. The lack of a controler stifled his hope, but then he saw it. Hexagonal in shape, it had two curving points coming from the bottom corners.
  Between these two points was a slot. Roc guessed it was for a memory device or a rumble feature. He tucked the system into his pack.

                                            Chapter One
  The alarm on Roc's dresser beeped. He groaned a rolled over. School, his mind grumbled. Being an eighth grader on Salisar wasn't much fun.
 
  "Beep-beep," insisted his alarm. He reached over and turned it off.
© Copyright 2006 Brook (penbrookjorin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1175654-Parallel