*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1176863-The-Spiritual-Awakening
by sujaz
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #1176863
A story based on an event that actually happened to my husband.
He entered the church and immediately felt a rush of energy as he looked around the sanctuary. It was an old church and it had fascinated him every time he drove by it. He actually felt that the church was pulling him into it. He finally decided he had to visit that church!

Maurice looked at the old stone walls where various statues of angels were placed as if they were sentinels standing guard over this holy ground. Breathing in the breath of God and breathing out the breath of God, he knew that the very presence of God was in this place.


He saw two chairs in front of the alter facing each other several feet apart, their occupants sitting in a trance state, eyes closed, deep breathing as two women were behind them with their hands hovering over their heads, then their shoulders, then moving down to their abdomen..never touching them, but apparently cleansing something from their bodies. Maurice quietly slipped into the very last pew so not to disturb the healing that was taking place.

The occupants left the chairs and returned to their places as two more people came to sit for their cleansing. Maurice was completely hypnotized by what was happening. What was this ritual about? He felt compelled to go and sit in one of those chairs! He wanted the power of God's healing hands through these women, but he was afraid. Finally, when all of the others had taken their turns, Maurice slowly got up and made his way to the chair. The woman smiled at him and whispered "God bless you brother. Do you have any pain anywhere? Are you ill?" Maurice shook his head.."no". The woman said, "Ok, just relax and close your eyes. Try to clear all thoughts from your mind, but they will come. Just let them stay as long as they wish, and allow them to flow out as easily as they entered. Be sure to take some deep, cleansing breaths." Maurice closed his eyes and began to breathe as the woman held her hands over him. He could feel the warm energy of God's sweet spirit enter his head and move through his body. He felt his shoulders relax, then his abdomen and then his legs..finally his feet.

When the woman was finished she leaned over and whispered , "Brother, there is a spirit guide here with you today. It is a Native American man with dark, flowing hair. He has a red hawk sitting on his shoulder. He says, "Do not be afraid my brother. I have been with you since you were born. I am here to protect you. You do not need to worry about anything."

Maurice got up from the chair and returned to his pew. Who was that man? He had always felt a connection with Native Americans. Whenever he saw Native American art or heard the haunting music from the Native American flutes he actually got chills. He felt a longing somehow that he belonged at one time to an ancient people. What did all of this mean? Could it be that this little old church held the secrets of a past he was unaware of? Was this woman sent into his life to join him with ancestors from long ago?

Several evenings later as Maurice was reading a book, out of the corner of his eye he saw someone pass by the door of the bathroom He put the book down and went into the bathroom to see if his wife might have slipped by him. No one was there. He called out to his wife who was puttering in the kitchen. She had not come into the room at all. Then he remembered the words of Red Hawk at the little old church. "Do not be afraid my brother. I will be with you always." From that moment on, Maurice had peace in his heart.



© Copyright 2006 sujaz (sujaz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1176863-The-Spiritual-Awakening