*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1177928-Global-Arms-Trafficking
by Eterna
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1177928
A paper wrote for English Comp about Small Arms Weapons.
Transporting small arms is big business. It’s been estimated that every year, profit in the black market arms trade exceeds $10 billion. That’s not even including the 5 largest weapons transporters in the world; China, France, the United Kingdom, Russia and the United States of America. Curiously enough, these countries are also the 5 permanent members of the United Nations security board.
What are small arm weapons? A small arm is any weapon that can be carried and operated by a single person, military or civilian. These weapons range from handguns and pistols, to long rifles and RPGs (Rocket Propelled Grenades). These weapons do not include armored vehicles, like bomber aircraft and attack helicopters. Tanks and nautical vessels are also not included. The global stockpile of small arms is estimated to be about 639 million guns, about 377 million of which are owned and operated by civilians. All the rest are used by militaries, police task-forces, and hostile groups.
To many people, nuclear and biological weapons are the only weapons of mass destruction currently in the world’s arsenal, when in fact far more violence and bloodshed occurs by small arms weaponry. Though their lethality is unquestionable, they cannot nearly account for the amount of deaths that small arms weapons trump. No nuclear weapon has been used in hostility since the end of World War II, by the Untied States of America attacking Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Japan. Although nuclear and biological weapons are certainly not being used currently on the modern battlefield, they are powerful political tools used by every nuclear capable nation. As of today, there are 8 declared nations which stockpiles of nuclear weapons. No one wants a nuclear holocaust, which would promise a death toll unparalleled in history. But while nuclear missiles gather dust sitting in their silos waiting to be launched, it’s almost guaranteed that somewhere in the world a clip from an AK-47 assault rifle- obtained by illegal means- is being unloaded into a hapless victim. It is an undeniable fact: small arms weapons are the true weapons of mass destruction.
How are these weapons obtained if they are so incredibly lethal? The black market of arms trafficking has boomed since the end of the Cold War in December, 1991. The falling of the iron curtain left many Russian satellite countries in the previously categorized U.S.S.R. leaderless, and with no need for a military. As a consequence of this sudden détente, small arms weapons and ammunition were sitting in barracks all across these nations by the thousand, without a soldier to tote them. Illegal arms dealers quickly swept in and bought stocks of Russian-made assault rifles, grenades, and even whole tank divisions. They were then distributed to militant groups across the globe for bottom-dollar deals, most often to groups like the Hamas, and the al-Qaeda. Once a war zone becomes peaceful, these weapons are then recycled to other military hotspots on the globe, often used against people holding the same weapons, which were made by their own country. In the Middle East today, insurgents are using Russian-made weapons and weapons manufactured in the United States. M16’s are killing Americans.
There have been many arms embargos sanctioned by the United Nations, and though they have accomplished much in the fight against legal transportation of arms and ammunition, little can be done to control illegal weapons dealers. They control vast, intricate networks of contacts, and when one is finally caught, like a lizard it will regrow its tail. Illegal arms dealers will always thrive unless the world can design a peaceful solution to all of life’s problems. For now, all one can do is get involved in their local politics and rally for tighter small arms laws and weapons embargos. This is a global fight; everyone needs to know that their enemy isn’t each other, but in the weapons and hatred we hold.

References and Citations on original document available on request.
© Copyright 2006 Eterna (eternaluna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1177928-Global-Arms-Trafficking