*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178002-Timeless-Destiny---Scenes-from-Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Sample · Fantasy · #1178002
A scene from the second chapter of the novel I am working on. All comments appreciated.
After doing her regular morning warm-up routine, Resshin stood up while trying to decide which way she will take. Resshin then decides that she will go toward northeast. Resshin thanked the teee for providing shelter to her during the night. The tree's branches shook in reply to her, as if someone ordered the wind to help the tree to say "you're welcome".`

Resshin then begins her journey. Miles and miles of rolling pastures feasted on Resshin's eyes as she started her search for the Atreyu beads. She would see one or two houses, distantly and strategically placed away from each other. Some farmers would greet her as she passes by, which would be followed by whispering as soon as they think that they are out of earshot.

As time passed by, the sun grew fairly hotter, producing thirst to the walking Resshin. Seeing a river nearby, she walks toward it, hoping that she can save some of her strength if she can use the resources available to her for food and water.

"Do not go near the river." A voice, whose origin is unknown, made Resshin stop and become alert.

"Fear not, my dear fellow. I am just giving you a friendly advice. Thousands have died because they keep on coming to this river, ignoring all my warnings to them. A monster, probably a demon-troll, is living under that river and opens its mouth to everything that comes in contact with the murky waters." Leaves rustle as the mysterious speaker appeared from behind a tree. Balancing himslef on a sturdy branch, he smiled widely.

"I am Saguri. Mayakashi Saguri. The most famous thief in this village. Well, it was before I came in contact with this thing." Saguri held out a black diamond-shaped bead. It matched perfectly with the color of his shirt and pants.

"I will help you and your village if you tell me how you got that. That thing you are holding right now belongs to me," Resshin told Saguri. Saguri hid the bead back to his pocket and jumped off the branch where he is standing. He sits under the shade of the tree. Resshin sits beside Saguri.

"So here's how I got this thing. I was on a stealing duty that day. Since I am the leader of the group of thieve here, I can decide whatever I want to steal. So yeah enough about that thief duty. I was just tree-hopping at that time, when I saw a lady, probably an inch taller than you, carrying the thing I just showed you. As you saw it looked like a black diamond, so I went ahead and snatched the thing from her hand as soon as I found an opening. As soon as my hands touched it, a big monster, probably as tall as this tree which is about 9 or 10 feet tall, sprang out from under the ground. I thought it was her bodyguard, or whatever it is. I ran away, as fast as I can, faster than any thief can do. I ended up in that river over there. The monster was close behind me, so I tricked it by leaping up to a branch of a tree, sending the moster deep under the water."

Saguri took a short pause. Sweat beads on his forehead indicated that the even scared him.

"So what happened to the lady?" Resshin asked so as to prevent Saguri from getting more scared. Saguri closed his eyes and continued narrating.

"Right after the monster dived down into the river, the lady appeared out of nowhere. I remained standing on the branch. I saw her do something to the water. After that she turned to where I was and said, 'You are bound to this place forever unless someone comes and kills my troll. Only then you can leave this place peacefully and safely. This is my punishment to anyone who steals my beads.'".

Resshin is deep in thought. She has an idea of who could the lady be. But she decided to put that thought aside.

"I will now kill that troll," Resshin declared. Saguri jumped back off the tree to provide safety for himself from the upcoming fight.

"Whatever happens just back off. I don't want you to be hurt," Resshin told Saguri.

Resshin thre a little ball of chi down the river. Seconds later, the water began to bubble, increasing in amount for every second that has lapsed. Finally, a troll appeared, standing tall over the puny Resshin.

"A demon warrior of Shikigami. No wonder you are under Haraise's command," yelled Resshin to the demon. She is trying to make the demon angry.

"Pay respect to Mistress Haraise!" The demon begins to shoot water blasts to Resshin. Resshin keeps on didging, doing nothing, which made the demon take a pause.

"Why are you not attacking me back?"

Resshin grins. "Just go on. You will see the answer later."

The demon continues to attack Resshin, while Resshin continues to jump and dodge around in random directions. After a while of jumping and hopping around, Resshin stands still in front of the troll.

"Are you scared? Giving up yet?" the troll asked.

"I am not giving up. Go ahead, punch me using your huge and strong hands."

The troll, confused of what Resshin is saying, decides to do what Resshin asked him to do. Be he can't move his right arm. He tried using his left arm. He can't move it either.

"What's wrong? You can't move? Scared of hitting a girl? What should we do now?" Resshin asked with a sly grin on her face. On her right hand is a very thin golden thread, which could be seen tied all over the troll's body as the sun shines and makes the thread glisten.

"You... will pay..." The troll's word are muffled, as Resshin pulls the thread she is holding, thus making it tighter for the troll.

"I am scared of no one!" Resshin yelled to the troll as she pulls the thread nore toward her.

The troll has been chopped because of the thread. Bits and pieces of the once fearful troll are now scattered all over the ground, producing stench to one's nose, shying away even the nastiest vultures alive. Every plant that has been sprayed by the troll's blood withered, as if something sucked the nutrients out of the plant.

"You shall dwell in my endless embers," Resshin muttered as she sets fire to the chopped pieces of the troll. It is a purple fire, producing a sweet lavender scent that brings peace to anybody's wretched soul.
© Copyright 2006 Resshin (mizeriz07 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1178002-Timeless-Destiny---Scenes-from-Chapter-2