*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1179041-Suminagashi
by c
Rated: E · Essay · Arts · #1179041
An expository on Suminagashi done at home
         Suminagashi, meaning ink-floating paper, is the old Japanese art form of Marbling. It is quite a professional art form, and at times to do so, the materials can become quite expensive. However, there is a way that even you can enjoy this project in the comfort of your own home, using materials that work just as well as those used by professionals. You can have fun with this project, and use your imagination to create something beautiful and hand-made.
         The materials that you need for this project are easy to find. You need a shallow enamel tray, also known as a photographers bath (about 12 inches by 8 inches), 2 small, shallow dishes, 2 very finely pointed paint brushes, cut up newspaper, writing ink, photo flow (which can be purchased by any nearby camera store), a clipboard (about 10 inches by 6 inches), and regular drawing paper.
         The first step of the project is to fill the enamel tray up with regular tap water. Then you need to fill the two dishes. In the first dish you need to put a shallow amount of the writing ink in, and in the other the same amount of photo flow. Then, you need to take a piece of cut up newspaper, and run it over the water’s surface. The purpose of doing this is to break the water’s surface tension. Without doing so the ink will not float correctly on top of the water.
         Once you have this done, you are set up. You need to have your paper ready and nearby once you begin. Take one of the paintbrushes and dip it into the writing ink. Then, you need to take the paintbrush, and slightly touch the water’s surface with it. You will see the ink disperse and spread upon the water’s surface. Ink floats, and it is very interesting. To see how much more interesting this project can be, take the other paintbrush, and after dipping it into the photo flow, touch the paintbrush in the center of your ink puddle. Photo flow is an additive. It repels the ink, and you will notice that once you put the additive in the center of the ink, the ink will spread out into what appears to be a ripple.
         Your creativity is all you need to finish up the project. Keep applying the ink, making the desired ripple affect. You can blow on the water’s surface to move the ink lines around, making a design that is pleasing to you and your own personal style. After you have the jest of how the ink and additive work together, you can purchase different colored ink and apply that as well.
         Once you are done with your design, you need to take your paper and as quickly as possible, while keeping the paper still, lay it on top of the water. The paper will quickly soak up the ink design and you need to then remove the paper and lay it upon your clipboard. As soon as you have the paper laid upon the clipboard, you need to rinse the paper off with water to rid it of the excess ink.
         The final step is to simply let the paper dry. You can use your new design for any number of things; scrap booking, cards, books, and notes. Use your imagination; this is something you can do at home and use your own creativity to pull the project together. You do not need to be a professional to be able to practice this art form, all you need is your imagination, these directions and materials, and you are set to go.
© Copyright 2006 c (crb30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1179041-Suminagashi