*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182083-The-Great-Products-of-a-Flawed-Society
by Colin
Rated: E · Monologue · Other · #1182083
Emotional suppression, rage, angst, the like.
Aha, so we have arrived! At last, we are in an age where depression and all manner of mental disorders are being treated by this and that drug, and this and that schoolbook method taught to psychiatrists and therapists. We have at last arrived at the beginning of a new era! We no longer have to worry for our children, as they are in the new and beautiful care of our wonderful and ever-growing psychiatric institutes!

Indeed, nothing could be further from the truth. Teenagers as of late have been going through such a massive upheaval of depression and anxiety in their tormented lives and few "adults" know at all how to help this situation. Incredible, isn't it, that our lives are not in any form easier than that of our forerunners, just more difficult in some areas than others, all being balanced out by the fact that people in the adolescent age group have a proclivity to depression, rage suppression, anxiety, frustration with all things, and an existential angst so well defined that people are cutting themselves on a daily basis and all seems to be crumbling downward.

Correct me if I am wrong, dear sirs and madams, but is it not society itself which has spurred these atrocious occurrences? Is it not society itself, the society that condemns a completely free expression of emotion and thought, a society that so belittles the artist, a society that destroys the creativity of the youth while instilling in them these ridiculous and ultimately false ideas that money creates happiness, that art is only to be made "on the side" while a "real" job is to performed in our daily lives, is it not this society which has so instilled this filth into the minds of the impressionable? It is my understanding that such "real jobs" hardly provide happiness to most of the populous here, in this world, and only at best provide a dull sort of contentment to those too lacking in will to pursue a life in the arts, or in something they truly love. At worst, people's lives are ruined. Art is being abandoned, my friends! Happiness no longer exists, only contentment.

Bah to this folly, bah to it all! Too many have foolishly taken up the errand of living with only "contentment" and without looking for their true passions. They simply will not do it.

Nevermind me, I'll only get back to my piano playing, the one and only thing that I truly love. Well, perhaps I should explain this as well!? I have exponential amounts of rage within me, and I see to it that this rage is released in a timely manner at the keyboard, at least to the best of my abilities. I direct my passions into something hopefully creative, something hopefully beautiful, something not destructive. My father simply suppresses his emotions until he throws a fit and acts like a fitful child, yet are we not all children? Are artists not children, in a sense, since they have not been so corrupted and depraved by society's menial idiocy and horrendous emotional conditions? We act like a mob of machines, with these tedious job decisions such as the fields of medicine and engineering. Is that what you really wish to do!? Is that why you live? To deal with numbers and angles and circumferences FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!? Oh yes, you are going to retire, hahaha, retirement. Retirement from that job you loved? Or retirement from that job you hated? I'm guessing the latter, my friend, I'm really going to guess the latter.

The world has gone insane. It has gone absolutely, raving mad. The rest of us are left in the dust of this bumbling machine we call a society, and all there is to show for such a disgrace is a huge amount of depressed teenagers who cut themselves and kill themselves, and a therapeutic mechanism that does nothing but scratch its head and say "Here, try THIS pill!" Do you take us for idiots? Do you take us for fools!? Have you any commitment to your profession, have you any damned creativity or innovative thoughts to bring to the field!? No. I forgot creativity and innovation are strictly forbidden in this society of ours.
© Copyright 2006 Colin (reaper978 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1182083-The-Great-Products-of-a-Flawed-Society