*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1184375-On-Taking-a-Break-From-Life
Rated: E · Prose · Friendship · #1184375
The joy of taking a break from the responsibilities of life...
On Taking a Break from Life


The whole group of them, randomly scattered in the field on their backs, stare at the stars above and watch the hurried bats not quite as far away. A shooting star fails to create a commotion, rather silence falls over the group as each wishes for a true love, a direction in life, or to finally find happiness. The conversation drifts between gossip, politics, dreams, and hypotheticals. The words are more powerful, more meaningful when they are disconnected from the physical beings. The words spoken by friends become like your own thoughts and you consider each statement as if it were your own idea. There is no conflict; each creates their own meaning from the conversation and accepts that others will hear differently.

Slowly the group notices that the constellations have moved across the sky and the responsibilities of the next day (work, school, family) come into their minds. The group separates and returns to the reality of straight-forward logic, maturity, and responsibility.
© Copyright 2006 Sal James (jimsaling at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1184375-On-Taking-a-Break-From-Life