*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186420-Holiday-Challenge
by Karen
Rated: E · Other · Holiday · #1186420
How are we spending our money at Christmas?
Holiday Challenge

Thanksgiving is past, and now I see all the Christmas decorations and trees on display. ‘Tis the Season. And the old saying we know so well … let’s not forget the reason for the season...Christ's birth. Are we losing sight of what's important?

I heard James Dobson say years ago, before I ever had my daughter, that this generation can basically afford to give their children anything they want. Our challenge is to say ‘no’ so they learn that they cannot always have what they want when they want it. We know the value of having to work for something, and the character that is built through perseverance.

During this time of the year, I challenge all of us, before we go to buy that next gift, is it really necessary? When’s the last time you cooked with your child? When’s the last time you rode bikes with your child, or even took a walk? When’s the last time you played ball with your child? Or when’s the last time you just sat down and listened to him or her talk? Stop and ask yourself, “What do I remember the most about my childhood … the gifts I received or the time I spent with my family and friends?” Often, the traditions we have with our family are what we remember and miss…not the gifts.

And what about our friends? Do you remember the time they spent with you or the gift? I have exchanged gifts with a friend of mine for years, yet what I look forward to the most is the time we spend at Christmas catching up. We will usually sit for hours and hours and talk non-stop. That is priceless to me. What did she give me? I couldn’t tell you. We talked about exchanging gifts and decided to stop. There are plenty of people around with needs we can give to if we want to give.

I write this and remember when I was younger having this conversation with someone and I thought, “No, I like receiving gifts. I don’t want to stop.” We all do. I think the challenge for us is to recognize where we draw the line with our spending.

I had a huge debt once and never want to go through that again. I now tell myself that if I can’t pay cash for something, I don’t buy it. And especially during the holidays, it helps keeps things in perspective. I want to glorify God, even through my giving.

"Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!" 2 Corinthians 9:15
© Copyright 2006 Karen (kade at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1186420-Holiday-Challenge