*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1187540-Alexias-Getting-Married-Eventually
by magll
Rated: E · Script/Play · Romance/Love · #1187540
A classic romance story
1. INT. BRIDAL SHOP – DAY

The street outside the bridal shop in Singapore is bustling with life. Inside, RYAN, a handsome man of 30, smiles at his reflection as he adjusts his white formal attire. In the mirror reflection, the curtains open as ALEXIA, a petite woman of 27 with a girlish charm, steps out in a stunning white wedding gown. Ryan goes to Alexia’s side, with a silly grin on his face, and affectionately brushes strands of hair from her face. Alexia nervously touches the gown glancing at Ryan uncertainly.

ALEXIA

Which do you prefer? This one or the pale blue gown?

RYAN

You look beautiful in both. Pick the gown you are most comfortable in. Besides, you make everything look good.

Ryan affectionately taps her nose. Alexia blushes as Ryan leans forward and kisses her. A movement at the side interrupts the moment as the DIRECTOR, a bald, lean man, standing beside a small monitor walks towards Ryan and Alexia.

DIRECTOR

CUT! Perfect! Now let’s do that again, a closer shot. This time, Ryan, go slower, savor the moment. She is the love of your life!

Ryan grins cheekily nodding his head, beside him Alexia is being attended by a young woman who touches up her hair and make up.

RYAN

(whispers to Alexia) Looks like I’ll get to kiss you again.

Alexia looks gapingly at Ryan in a half smile.

ALEXIA

(whispers) Behave.

2. INT. MEDIACORP BUS – EVENING

The curtains are drawn, sitting in one of the seats in the corner, Alexia, squinting, goes through the pile of fan mail on her lap. Ryan stands at the steps of the bus quietly observing her. She opens one of the many letters and takes out a letter with a photograph enclosed. Shaking his head, he switches on the lights in the bus. Alexia looks up and smiles tiredly.

RYAN

You’ll spoil your eyes reading in this dim light. You don’t have to reply all your fans you know. You’ll burn yourself out.

ALEXIA

Oh you know me. (slumps into the seat) We’re nobody without them you know.

RYAN

Get some rest now and leave this till you get home or something?

Alexia reads the letter in her hand and gasps and covers her mouth, scrutinising the photograph enclosed. Ryan rushes to her side anxiously.

RYAN

You okay? (looking at the photograph) Who’s that?

Alexia looks thoughtful as Ryan takes the photograph of the then 18 year old Alexia and Mark, a boyishly cute boy with ruffled hair. In the photograph, both are blissfully happy. Mark has his arm comfortably around Alexia’s neck as Alexia clutches his arm, written behind beside the name ‘Mark’ is a contact number. Ryan stares at the photograph dumbfounded. Ryan looks questioningly at Alexia, gently covering her hand with his.
ALEXIA

He’s an old friend from Junior College.

Ryan observes Alexia as she smiles reminiscing the past.

ALEXIA

He left a number. Should I meet him?

RYAN

Yeah. Why not? At least, give him a call. What’s the worst that could happen? (chuckling) Anyway, you need a little distraction from all this madness.

Alexia smiles gratefully at Ryan. Ryan stands up, ruffles her hair playfully and sits in the seat opposite her looking pensive.

3. EXT. CAFE – DAY

Alexia walks into the alfresco cafe and looks around. MARK, wearing a plain shirt, a pair of faded jeans and a white jacket sits comfortably at a table. Spotting Alexia, Mark stands up and waves. Alexia walks over and Mark pulls out the chair for her.

MARK

I ordered your usual, hope you don’t mind.

ALEXIA

It’s been so long, I’m surprised you still remember. (pause) This place doesn’t seem to have changed at all.

Mark looks around, smiling.

MARK

Just the way we remembered it. (pause) Time really flies when you’re working hard to get to where you want to be in life.

ALEXIA

Those were good times. (pause) So what have you been up to the past 10 years? You haven’t changed a bit.

Mark smiles gently, reaches into his jacket pulls out a small ring box, opens it and gives it to Alexia.

MARK

Happy Birthday.

Alexia looks apprehensively at the ring.

MARK

(dejectedly) You don’t remember?

CUT TO:

Flashback of the same cafe, Mark and Alexia, sitting at the same table, eyes closed, in front of a cake. They blow out the candles together, happily.

ALEXIA

It’s so cool our birthday’s on the same day. That way we won’t ever have a lonely birthday or have no one to celebrate it with us.

MARK

(teasingly) I’d spend it with you every year for the rest of my life if you’d let me.


ALEXIA

Mark...

MARK

(grinning) Let’s marry each other if we’re both still single at 28? What do you think?

Alexia gives a small smile and nods her head.

BACK TO:

MARK

Alexia, I meant what I said.

Alexia stares at the ring, flabbergasted. Mark takes her hand and puts the box in the palm of her hand.

MARK

I really hope you’ll think about it.

Alexia looks at Mark incredulously as he stands to leave.

MARK

Alexia, I’m really sorry for barging back into your life like this.

Mark leans to kiss Alexia on the cheek. (SOUND EFFECTS – CAMERAS RAPIDLY CLICKING) Jump cut still shots showing Mark kissing Alexia.

4. INT. SPACIOUS HIGH CEILING BEDROOM – EARLY MORNING

A newspaper is thrown onto the side of a sleeping Alexia as she jumps at the intrusion. Alexia’s mother, MAGGIE, a heavily made up woman of 55 stands beside the bed, hands on her hips, upset with Alexia.

MAGGIE

When were you planning to tell me? After you get married is it? At least this Mark guy is quite successful, if he cannot be compared to Mrs Choo’s doctor son, do you know how embarrassing it is for me? (laughing gleefully to herself) Now that Peggy Su’s got nothing to say anymore.

Alexia sleepily looks at the newspaper. Her mother rambles on, Alexia not listening as she reads the article with pictures of her and Mark at the cafe is shocked.


MAGGIE

...By the way, you better go ask the reporters outside to go away, Daddy and Kor (meaning older brother) cannot go to work because they are blocking the gate...

Alexia gasps and rushes to look out her window. The reporters spot her at the window and quickly snap pictures. Her mother, beside Alexia waves excitedly at the reporters as Alexia anxiously draws the curtains close. Alexia rushes about the room getting ready to leave the house. Her mother gushes about the impending wedding, engrossed in her thoughts.

MAGGIE

...He’s so rich, next time I can go shop at LV and Gucci and Prada already! (giggling)

5. INT. MEDIACORP STUDIOS WARDROBE DEPARTMENT – DAY

Alexia walks in flustered, wearing shades and a cap. She closes the door, camera flashes from the hordes of reporters following behind. Alexia plops into a nearby chair exhausted. LINDY, a fresh-faced young girl of 22 goes over to Alexia concerned.

LINDY

You okay? Do you need me to get you anything?

Alexia shakes her head tiredly.

ALEXIA

If anyone asks, I’m not here.

Alexia walks to the backroom as Lindy looks on worriedly. Ryan pushing past the reporters enters. Lindy looks at Ryan all puffed and flustered and points to the backroom.

RYAN

Thanks.

Ryan goes to the backroom to find Alexia fiddling with her character’s racks of clothes. He struggles with what to say, clenching his fists at his side.

RYAN

Just good friends huh?

Alexia spins around to face Ryan.

ALEXIA

Please don’t start.

Ryan stalks angrily to her side.

RYAN

You should have told me.

ALEXIA

I didn’t know that it would turn out like this either.

Calming down, Ryan sits across Alexia.

RYAN

You don’t look too happy about it.

(beat)

RYAN

(wincing) He’s successful, good looking and he’s in love with you. He’s... a good catch. (pained) You should consider it.

ALEXIA

Ryan (pause) I really don’t know what to do.

Ryan clasps Alexia’s trembling hands and tucks a loose tendril of hair behind her ear. He gently raises her chin to look at him.

RYAN

Do what makes you happy.

Ryan taps her nose gently and leaves the room. Alexia watches him leave, hides her face and sobs. She looks at the promotional poster of their new drama series, Ryan and Alexia are in an embrace, looking lovingly at each other.

FADE TO:

6. EXT. OUTSIDE OF ALEXIA’S HOUSE - NIGHT

Alexia exits the taxi in front of her house, the reporters rapidly snapping pictures as she pushes past them trying to escape their insistent hounding.

7. INT. LIVING ROOM OF ALEXIA’S HOUSE - NIGHT

Alexia stops in her tracks as she sees her mother chatting happily with Mark. Her father, RICHARD, a sturdy man of 60 sits beside her mother stiffly with his arms crossed. Her mother notices her and motions for her to sit beside Mark. Alexia stunned, does not budge. Mark goes to her side.

MARK

Alexia, I’m sorry about the media frenzy. I should have been straight with you right from the start.

Alexia looks around uncomfortably, fiddling with her bag. Her mother goes to stand beside Mark providing her support. Alexia frowns and looks away distractedly.

CUT TO:

Flashback of Alexia and Ryan together. Dialogue is voice-over scene.


MAGGIE

Mark has been in America the past 10 years trying to make a name for himself. Who’d you think he did all this for? He only wants the best for you lor...

MARK

...Alexia, you’re beautiful, smart with a great personality and you’ve always led a privileged life. I’ve always been in love with you, I just felt unworthy of you...

MARK
(continues)

...I wanted to prove that I could be a man worthy of you. I’m a producer in America and I’ve made quite a name for myself, but I’m just a boy standing in front of a girl asking her to love him... Alexia?

SCENES

Ryan goes to Alexia’s side, a silly grin on his face, and affectionately brushes her hair from her face. (dissolves)
Ryan affectionately taps her nose. Alexia blushes as Ryan leans forward and kisses her. (dissolves)
Ryan stands up, ruffles her hair playfully and sits in the seat opposite her. (dissolves)
Ryan clasps Alexia’s trembling hands and tucks a loose tendril of hair behind her ear. He gently raises her chin to look at him. Ryan taps her nose gently and leaves the room. (dissolves)
The promotional poster of their new drama series, Ryan and Alexia are in an embrace, looking lovingly at each other.

BACK TO:

MAGGIE

(impatiently) Alexia Lin are you listening?

Alexia snaps out of her own thoughts and looks at her mother with a determined look on her face.

ALEXIA

Ma. (smiling sweetly) I’ve got a wedding to plan.

Her mother beams with pride and Mark smiles in relief as her father stands up and goes to Alexia. Her father looks worriedly at Alexia. They exchange knowing looks as Alexia pats her father’s hand affectionately. Her father nods his head with a grim concerned look and places his hand on Alexia’s shoulder.

FADE TO:

8. INT. RYAN’S APARTMENT – NIGHT

(MUSIC – IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE BY ROXETTE) is playing softly in the background, competing with the sound of the torrential rain beating against the window. Occasional flashes of lightning illumine the modern minimalist apartment, making the room appear large and empty in its darkness. On the wall in the hallway, are countless promotional posters, framed, of the dramas Alexia and Ryan have acted together in. On the side table sits a photograph of Ryan and Alexia with him casually putting his arm around Alexia’s shoulder. Dim rays of light come from the kitchen. Ryan stares blankly at the cup noodles in front of him. A knocking on the door persists till Ryan snaps back to reality as he drags himself to the door. A drenched and shivering Alexia is at the door, grinning from ear to ear, rushes to embrace a stunned Ryan.

– THE END –
© Copyright 2006 magll (magll at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1187540-Alexias-Getting-Married-Eventually