*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1190119-The-Consuming-Darkness
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1190119
The dangers of dabbling in what isn't meant for us.
THE CONSUMING DARKNESS
BY: Phil Liaboe


*Author's note:  This short story takes place in the world of my first book "The Guild of Thieves" and is written as if the reader is familiar with the world.  If you haven't read "The Guild of Thieves" you can still enjoy the story, just not as much ;).  To check out "The Guild of Thieves" you can go online to Amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com to find it, or visit my myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/philliaboe for more information about New Serenity, "The Guild of Thieves," or any other questions.  Have fun!!!

PART I:
The Lure

I

The rain was beating hard on the thin metal covering in the small Tavern in the sequestered part of New Serenity.  It was loud and drowning out most of the quiet conversations occurring between the several groups of people huddled around private tables spaced evenly apart in the dim light.  The people gathered here welcomed the rain and the deadening noise it made.
         This place was where different people met, traded, fought, and killed each other for their various purposes, mostly with concern for Spirit Water.  You could make enemies here, and also find valuable friends.  In one corner sat four men and a woman.  They each hid their faces with dark hoods.  A casual visitor would guess she belonged to Gabrielle’s guild of prostitutes, and these four men were offering Spirit Water for a night of wild and unfulfilling fantasies.  But she was actually a woman who had information the four men, who were actually members of The Guild of Thieves, considered invaluable. 
         At another table sat a man with a fair face and blond, almost white, hair.  He was being very careful to conceal his face, but not because he cared what the people here thought he was, but because he was afraid his master’s would poison his tube of Spirit Water if they knew where he was.
         And there was the man sitting at the bar, quietly sipping his drink and then staring at it thoughtfully.  When it ran dry he reached into his long black leather trench coat and pulled out a gold coin. 
         “Another please,” he said as he placed the coin on the by his empty drink, his eyes never leaving it. 
         The bartender took the coin and filled the glass.
         “You gonna make it home okay?” he asked.
         “The man took a long drink, placed it on the table, and brushed a part of his long dark hair out of his eyes.
         “Won’t matter either way,” he said.
         There was a silence and then a brief shrug.
         “Your life.”
         The bartender turned around and began telling his waitresses to refill the glasses and pitchers at the tables.
         At the same time the door opened, briefly letting in the loud rain from outside, and in walked a hooded man.  His faced was blocked and everyone in the tavern either covered their own faces or placed a hand on their weapons.  They didn’t resume their business until the stranger sat down and ordered a drink.
         However, the man with the leather jacket stayed where he was.  He didn’t turn around, cover his face, or even place a hand on one of the two short swords strapped to his waist.  His just quietly took another drink as if nothing had happened.
         The man who walked in picked the darkest corner in the tavern and drank his drink silently.  After serving the stranger his drink, the bartender came back with an annoyed look on his face.
         “You ever see him before Tash?” the bartender asked. 
         Tash kept his eyes on his drink, spinning it slightly as he held some in his mouth.  He swallowed and shook his head.
         “You even see em?” the bartender asked. 
         Tash shook his head again.
         “Then how do you know if you’ve ever seen him before?” the bartender asked.
         “I guess I don’t,” Tash said flatly.  He looked up from his glass and shrugged his shoulders.  The bar tender nodded and went back to his work.
         A little later the four members of The Guild of Thieves rose from their table and left.  As they did Tash looked over his shoulder at the woman they had been talking too.  Their eyes met briefly, and then separated.  Tash took another drink.
         After a few moments and another frill of drinks, the woman came over and sat by Tash.  She threw back her hood.  Her features were soft and in another world she would have been considered beautiful.  But in this world she was an assassin, a spy, a criminal, and her features were used in different ways to serve her purposes. 
         “Did they like what you had to say?” Tash asked, his eyes never moving from the glass.
         “I think so,” she said.  “We’ll know soon enough.”
         Tash nodded.  Another sip.  The girl took the glass after he set it down.  He smirked and nodded. 
         “So what do we do now?” she asked.
         “Wait.  Like we’ve always done,” Tash said.
         “I’m tired of waiting.”
         “So am I, but we don’t have a choice do we.”
         “Perhaps we can choose more likely people,” she said.
         “We?” Tash asked.  The woman took a deep breath and narrowed her eyes.  She took a drink and peered conspicuously at the stranger in the dark shadows.  Tash took another sip.
         “Don’t worry,” Tash said.  “I’ll give you what you want, just as soon as you help me find what I want.”
         “I’m doing that,” she said.  “I just wish we were looking in more probable places.”
         “And thieves wouldn’t be probable?” he asked.
         “They’ve always been highly religious,” she said.  “Followers of the Creator, believers of the light.  They’ve never dabbled in the darkness you seek.”
         “They just live in it,” Tash said solemnly.  Another drink.
         “Only to help others,” she said.  Tash shrugged and the woman stirred restlessly.           
         “I suppose I’ll you tonight then,” she said.
         “Feel free to stay and have another drink if you like,” Tash said.  He grinned and placed his hand softly on hers, which she drew back immediately.  Without saying another word she gathered her belongings and left. 
         Still grinning, Tash took another sip.

II
         The rain was cold and hard.  It wasn’t long before Tash’s garments were completely drenched.  He stumbled through the dark streets convincing himself he was sober.  Another night and he wasn’t any closer to what he wanted, that was reason enough to drink, if he wanted too.  He laughed to himself as his mind drifted to all the women he thought had put their eyes on him hoping he would take them to bed tonight.  And then he told himself he was only alone tonight because he didn’t have time to indulge in pleasures of the flesh, especially with whores.
         But the thought of who he could’ve slept with vanished when he felt a chill sweep through his entire body, starting at his legs and working through his spine to his neck in an instant.  He snapped around as his heart began to quicken.  He held his breath and searched the dark street.
         Nothing.
         He chuckled to himself.  Of course there was nothing; at least nothing he should be frightened of.  Tash shook his head in an ‘unbelievable’ sort of way.  But then his heart nearly jumped out of his chest as he gasped in surprise.
         The man in the dark robe.  Standing in front of him.  Hardly any space between them.
         “Relax,” the man said.  Tash tried to look un-startled.
         “Who are you?” he tried to say loud and firmly, but actually came out softly.
         “My name is Levay,” he said.  His voice was deep, calm, and somewhat hypnotic. The man threw back his hood and revealed a young and very fair face.  His eyes were dark, his skin was very pale, his hair as dark as the night sky and tied behind his head, and his lips blood red.  But his smile was warm and inviting, and Tash found himself trusting the man immediately. 
         “Levay,” Tash repeated as if uninterested or impressed.  “Nice to meet you, but I have no money or Spirit Water to give…”
         “I’m not interested in what you may have for me,” Levay interrupted.
         Tash took a deep breath and let it out slowly to calm the irritation.
         “Well,” Tash began.  “Then perhaps I’ll see you in the tavern again.”
         “So you did notice,” Levay said cheerfully.
         “It’s always wise to know who you’re keeping company with,” Tash said.  “Especially in the tavern.”
         “And you know what kind of company I may be?”
         “I’ve always been good at reading people,” Tash said.  “I could tell instantly you’re not from any of the Guilds, at least not the most dangerous ones, which means you’re neither dangerous nor looking for information.  Most likely you’re a trader of some kind and you’re hoping to sell something you either stole or found.”
         Levay smiled warmly again.
         “You’re a very smart man aren’t you,” Levay said.
         “Smart enough to know,” Tash said. 
         “Know what?”
         “That I want to get out of this rain and talking to you is preventing that.”
         He moved past Levay content to forget the man in a few minutes so he could think about all the women that had wanted to sleep with him tonight again, when Levay suddenly appeared in front of him again.
         Barely a few inches between their faces.
         “Are you sure you wish to leave so quickly?” Levay asked.
         Tash was startled and took a step back to widen the space between them.  He stuttered to find a response and his heart began to beat rapidly again.  Levay began to laugh, but it wasn’t as warm and inviting as his smile.
         “Relax,” Levay said softly.  Tash felt his heart slow and his breathing return to normal.  “I have something you seek,” He said. 
         Tash stared deep into his dark eyes.
         “There is only one thing I seek,” Tash said.
         “And I have it.”
         “How do you know…?”
         “I came looking for you tonight,” Levay said.  “I’ve been seeking someone like you for a very long time.  Someone who is worthy of what I have to give.”
         “I am worthy,” Tash said firmly.  “The most worthy you’ll ever find.”
         “Indeed,” Levay said.  “Though you never share this believe with others.  Why not?”
         “They don’t understand,” Tash said.  “They are too short sighted to see or understand the potential.”
         “Does anyone understand the potential?”
         “Besides me,” Tash said proudly. “No.”
         “Then I was right in choosing you.”
         “Yes,” Tash said.  “Yes you were.”

III
Levay took Tash through Underworld, the city beneath New Serenity, to a place only those who can pass through the shadows can reach.  This was the first time Tash passed through the shadows, with Levay, and when they arrived at their destination, he could barely contain himself with the eagerness coursing through his body.
Tash smiled gleefully when he opened his eyes to see himself in some kind of alter room.  A great fire was burning in an altar made of gold in the farthest corner.  A bright red ring with fire lacings lay in the middle and several statues and pillars were erected around the entire chamber.
“Is this it?” Tash asked quietly as he looked over the room slowly.
“Is it as you imagined it would be?” Levay asked.  He was standing behind Tash with his arms crossed and hood pulled back over his head again.
“Yes,” Tash whispered.  He turned to Levay and grinned slyly.  “Exactly as I imagined.”  Levay nodded.
“Then now you will receive what you seek.  The secrets of the Shadows.”


IV

         “Our secrets and knowledge are only for those who desire them with all their hearts,” Levay said.
         “I do,” Tash said.  “I desire them more than anything in the entire world, and I will do anything to prove my worth.”
         “There is no need,” Levay said.
         They were sitting in the middle of the red rug.  Tash was facing the great fire and Levay was in front of it.  The fire made Levay’s body cast a great shadow over Tash, engulfing him completely in darkness.
         “Just tell us,” Levay continued.
         “I do,” Tash repeated.  “I want the secret knowledge of the shadows.  I want the knowledge that is beyond all other knowledge.  To command and defy the natural forces of this world that limits and confines our existence.  To know how to break the chains of time, age, death, and life so I can truly be free.  The secrets of the shadows.  That which I have sought for so long.”
         “And you shall have them,” Levay said.  He closed his eyes and held out his hands, palms up, towards Tash for him to take.  “You will have all that you seek and more.”
         Tash placed his hands in Levay’s and closed his eyes.  In the next few moments Tash lost all awareness of time.  His mind floated through the depths of the space in his own head.  He floated until Levay grabbed his arm in their dream like world and brought them close together.           
         “The secrets are yours,” Levay said.
         Tash held his breath.  In one moment, he knew it all.  The knowledge came to him as if it had always been there waiting for someone to show him where it was.  And now he understood; understood how to move through the shadows, without spending time, and without crossing space.  He knew how to command the natural forces around him; earth, water, wind, fire, light, and darkness.  He knew how to defy time and the chains with which it binds the body.  He had all he had ever wanted.
         Some time later, they both opened their eyes.  The fire continued to burn behind Levay, his shadow still engulfing Tash.  Tash examined his arms, chest, and legs, and grinned. 
         “You are most worthy indeed,” Levay said grinning.
         “I know,” Tash said.  His grin spread from ear to ear and his narrowed sharply.

PART TWO:
The Power

I

         The city lights sparkled their usual radiance below the full moon’s glowing light.  New Serenity was in its hours of slumber and people were either finishing their nights of pleasure, or all ready fast asleep.  High above them all sat Tash, his cloak and dark hair blowing wildly in the wind, and his eyes descending down on them all.
         “Fools,” he whispered.  “Unworthy fools.”
         He leapt from his high peak and floated through the air, down and down, towards the inviting shadows below.  He straitened his body and fell into the shadows with the grace of a gardener running his hands over the stem of rose.
         When he opened his eyes and found himself in another alley in Underworld far away from where he had been just a moment ago.  He had crossed a great amount of space without wasting time, and the only consequence was a small itch on his back.  Small and barely noticeable, Tash quickly reached behind him, scratched it away, and began walking through the streets. 
         The smell of Underworld was horrible.  It reached into his nostrils and threatened to burn his tiny hairs.  But with a simple though the small faded and Tash continued on his way.

II

         “My usual,” Tash said as he sat down in his usual place at the tavern.
         “Good to see you,” the bar tender said in his usual upbeat tone.  He prepared the drink and gave it to Tash.  “You look a little bit different you know.”
         “Different?” Tash asked.
         “Yea, different.  A little pale.  You ok?”
         “I feel great,” Tash said grinning.  He took a drink and surveyed the tavern.  The usual whores and bums were in their usual places.
         “Well drink then,” the bartender said.  He left Tash to begin tending to other customers.
         Another sip.
         
         “I’ve been looking all over for you,” said a female’s voice next to him. It was the girl who had been helping him for some time.
         “It seems you’ve found me,” Tash said without looking at her.  “Shall we leave now or should I buy you a drink first.”  He laughed to himself.  Then he turned towards her, and looked up and down her entire body, moving his head deliberately slow.  Her face was hard and blank.
         “The Guild of Thieves didn’t work out like you had hoped,” she said with obvious irritation.
         Another sip.
         “In fact,” she continued with her voice lowered.  “I think they’re on to you, and I think you we should leave here for a while.”
         Another sip.
         “I’ll leave with you,” he said.  Then he grinned at her.  “If that’s what you really want.”  He laughed quietly to himself.  She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly.
         “This is not the time for jokes,” she said.
         “Who’s joking?”
         “They understand what you seek and would kill you just for seeking it.”          
         Tash laughed and shook his head.  She narrowed her eyes and took a short breath.
         “Don’t you understand?” she asked.  “Don’t you know what they’re capable of?”
         “Can’t you see I don’t care?” Tash retorted. 
         Her eyes were wide and her hand was firmly pressed against the bar. 
         “You don’t care!” she shouted.  “Why….?” She began but stopped herself.  She noticed the difference in him.
         “Are you dying?” she asked.  Tash began shaking his head and laughing again.  “Is that why you’re skin is pale?  Why you don’t care?” 
         His laughter ceased for him to take another sip, and then began laughing again.
         “I’ve never been more alive in my life,” he said.  His grin spread from ear to ear.  She pressed her lips together and flexed the muscles in her neck.
         The she grabbed his shirt and pulled him right in front of her face, his drink all over his face as she did so.
         “What is your fucking prob….?”
         She couldn’t finish because a jolt of pain shot up her arm and into her neck.  She screamed in pain as her arm twisted and snapped in the hands of Tash.  She fell off her stool and to her knees as her already broken arm was twisted behind her back.  Tash’s voice rang in her ears.
         “Don’t you ever grab me like that you filthy little whore.”
         Then, with just a thought, he threw her across the tavern and she crashed through a window onto the streets outside.
         “Hey!” the bartender shouted.  But his became blank as soon as his eyes made contact with Tash’s.  The bartenders face became bloodless, white, sickly pale, and he dropped behind his bar and curled his knees close to him, hoping he was safe from Tash’s eyes.  Everyone else in the tavern ceased their conversations and moved to the darkest corners of the tavern.  It wasn’t uncommon to see a scuffle in the tavern, and everyone knew the best thing to do was to stay out of the way.
         Tash glared as they watched him silently.  Then he quickly scratched his back where an itch had appeared.

III

         She gasped and spit the blood from her mouth, and then jumped to her feet as quickly as she could.  Glass was cutting into her skin making every movement hard to bear.  She tried to run, but was only able to manage a quick stumble between frantic looks over her shoulder at the bar.
         A desperate cry escaped from her mouth when his figure appeared in the doorway.  She turned to run and another desperate cry erupted from her mouth, as well as tears from her eyes, when she saw him standing right in front of her.  Tash glared at her while he scratched his back.
         “I’m sorry,” she stuttered.
         “Damn right you are,” Tash muttered.  “You never touch me like that, you understand?” 
She nodded quickly, light glistening off her tears.  She took a step away from him, and then carefully another.  After two more she turned ready to run ignoring the pain in her legs and hoping to find cover in darkness not caring if she ever left it again. 
She ran and ran until her legs wouldn’t let her anymore.  She leaned against the side of a building in an alley and tried to catch her breath.
Lucky, she thought.  Lucky to be alive.  She replayed what had happened in her mind and shivered. 
He found it.  Damn it to hell he found it.

IV
         Tash grinned as she ran.
         “Run you little bitch,” he said quietly.  “Run away from me, or at least try.”
         “Tash,” someone shouted behind him.  He turned slowly to see the bartender coming towards him with his hands on his hips and his lips pressed tightly together.
         “What the hell is a matta wit ya?” he bellowed.  Tash relaxed as the bartender began waiving his hands animatedly in the air.
         “I got customers who are scared, a Spirit Soldier who may bring the authorities, and a broken window because of your little temper tantrum.  It’s bad for business and you’re going to have to pay a fair share.”
         “It’s just like you to be concerned with money,” Tash said rolling his eyes. 
         “Hey!!!” the bartender shouted.  “I don’t know where you come from, but I barely make ends meet.  If I don’t have my money then I don’t eat and I die.  You caused me to loose money tonight so you gonna pay.”
         Tash glared into his eyes.
         “Turn around and go back to your drunks and whores,” he said.  “I have more important things to do.”  Tash turned again but the bartender became vivid.
         “As if you’re so much better than us,” the bartender shouted.  Tash became aware that people had begun gathering by the door to see what was happening.  “You enjoy your drunkenness and a whore just as much as anyone of us.”
         Tash clenched his fists together and imagined himself behind the bartender.  The bartender kept his eyes on Tash with his arms crossed, his eyes narrowed, and his nostrils flaring.  But then he lurched forward and gasped as he felt something shoot through his back, his insides, and then burst through the front of his chest.  He looked down and saw a hand, covered in blood, sticking out. 
         “You’ve learned to late what I am,” Tash said.  He pulled his back and laughed as the bartenders body crumbled to the ground.  He laughed until the itch appeared again and he scratched it irritably. 
         Shouts and screams filled the air as the drunks and whores in the tavern became either angry or scared.  Threats were shouted and some even drew their weapons.  But this only caused Tash to sigh, and with a single thought, the tavern erupted in fire.  In an instant the entire place, and everyone in it, was burning to death. There was no escape for any of them.  And Tash stood by and watched, his ear to ear grin planted firmly on his face; that is until the itch re-appeared. 

PART III
The Consumption

I

         The light made Tash hiss and cover his eyes frequently.  He hated the light; hated it so much that he began sleeping during the days and only coming out at night.  He never once thought about what the sun looked like, or even the normal ways people spent their days, in the light.  This was because he didn’t even miss the sun, or the light, and he relished the darkness.
         He sat in the darkest corner of a different tavern each night in both New Serenity and Underworld and watched different people.  They were never aware that he could hear each of their private conversations as if they were speaking less than a few feet from him.  He listed as the prostitutes seduced men who were in marriages that bored them, or the exchange of information between the guilds as they continued their blood filled quests, or the petty gossip of the young girls as they shared secrets they had been entrusted with, or told stories that demeaned others. 
         Tash listened every night, laughing at some, shaking his head and rolling his eyes at others, but loving them all.  He no longer needed food, or drink, not even Spirit Water because he suppressed those desires and needs.  This was all the sustenance he needed anymore.
         And then one night he smiled with glee and paid extra attention to a conversation between two men and a young woman.  He couldn’t help it, and even focused his hearing so he would only hear them.
         “The place erupted into flames,” one of the men said snapping his fingers.  “As if by some kind of magic.”
         “What about the people inside?” asked the young woman whose deep blue eyes were wide opened and her hands were folded in front of her in an eager manner.
         “Dead,” said the other man.  “All dead, never even stood a chance.”
         “We tried to help,” said the first.
         “But we couldn’t save them all,” said the other with a melancholy tone. 
         “Oh, but you’re so brave for trying,” said the woman. 
         Tash’s smile faded quickly.  Nobody had tried to help the people in tavern, and yet these two brash and arrogant boys were saying they had.
         “We could never sit by and watch helpless people as they die,” the first boy said.
         “We care too much for others,” said the other.
         “We tried to run after him, but the coward ran off into the night.”
         ‘Coward!’ Tash yelled to himself.  ‘They dare to bask in my glory,’ he added.
         “If we ever see him again thought,” the first boy said, and then he pounded one of his fists into his other hand to demonstrate.  The second boy nodded with an angry look on his face.
         “Well, I worry about you both,” the woman said.  “Promise me you’ll be careful.”  Her eyes were wide with adoration, which made Tash’s blood boil.
         “Hopefully we’ll find him before he kills more innocents,” said the second boy.  “We will always choose saving others over stopping him.”
         “That’s true,” said the first boy.  “Otherwise we’d be just as bad as him.”
         The girl nodded with praise and Tash clenched his fists as his arms began to shake.  His colorless face turned dark red and his breathing became louder.
         “Innocents!” he suddenly shouted.  Every eye fell upon Tash as he stood up from his table and yelled at the two boys and the woman. The noise of casual conversations died, and many people wondered what the commotion was about.  The three looked at Tash and quietly placed their hands on their weapons.  They each narrowed their eyes, but Tash didn’t notice.
         “You mere insects,” he bellowed.  “How dare you,” he continued.  “Is this what you have to do to bring a woman into your bed?” he asked mockingly.  “Lie and take credit for another man’s glory?” The color drained from Tash’s face and his breathing returned to normal.  ‘Insects,’ he thought to himself.  ‘They’re just insects.’
         He leapt from his shadowed corner, clear across the tavern and landed in front of him as everyone else rushed to the door. 
         “Here’s your chance,” Tash said mockingly.  “Your chance to save the innocents, defeat the villain, and sleep with the princess.”
         He threw his hands into the air and the tavern erupted into flames with a single thought.  The people who were still in the tavern began to yell and scream as they kept trying to make it outside.  Soon there was just Tash, and the three, who all had calm looks on their faces.

II

         “Now,” said the woman.
         The two boys both leapt from the places with their feet extended and aimed at Tash’s chest.  But one stopped suddenly at the other connected squarely on his chest sending Tash hurtling through the air.  He crashed into a group of chairs and tables that were on fire.  He shook his head momentarily stunned and surprised.  Tash hadn’t guessed which one would kick him.
         Meanwhile the three ran outside and drew the weapons they had hidden under the garments.  The two boys had swords and the woman a bow which she loaded quickly.  She stood behind the boys with her bow drawn and ready and the boys held their swords in front of them ready to strike at any moment.  The rest of the people had escaped, but a few stood ready in the shadows of the alleys with their own weapons drawn.
         Tash burst forth from the burning tavern.  His was hunched over and breathing heavily, one hand over his heart, the other scratching his back. 
         “Remember,” the woman said.  “Get him to use his powers as much as possible to finish this as quickly as possible.”
         The boys grunted their replies and focused on Tash.
         Tash raised his hands and from them came bolts of fire.  They headed towards the boys who each leaped out of the way in different directions, while the woman shot an arrow.  Tash made the arrow disappear with another simple thought.  But then the itch reappeared. 
         Tash ignored it and leapt towards one of the boys.  His hands shot bolts of fire which the boy evaded with quick leaps off of other buildings.  He never attacked, he just continued to dodge and leap.  The other boy stood back and Tash began throwing balls of fire at him as well.  But each kept their distance and never made a move to attack. The woman shot an occasional arrow, which Tash continued to dissolve with a single thought.  He grinned to cover his irritation.
         “You called me a coward and yet here you stand,” he yelled.           
         He began laughing loudly and disappeared.  The boys stood still and looked all around for him.  Suddenly Tash reappeared behind one of them.  Tash tried to grab him, but he was able to leap away with the warning of one of his companions.
         Tash paused for a moment to scratch the itch.  It was increasing and he couldn’t ignore it.  As he scratched the three gathered themselves and stood as they had before; the woman behind, the two boys in front. 
         Tash began his assault on them again, throwing fire at them as they leapt in different directions.  Tash tried to trap them by moving through the shadows, but each time they evaded him, and each time the itch grew bigger. 
         After some time the itch became so great he couldn’t ignore it again and Tash began scratching his back furiously while cursing them loudly.  The three regrouped in the same way; the woman behind, the two boys in front.  Tash kept scratching, relishing the relief, but then stopped when he felt moisture on his fingers.
         He brought his fingers before his face and stared at them silently.  It was blood.  The moisture was his blood, but it was different.  This blood was warm and thick, but also black and smelled like rotten eggs.
         “It’s happening,” the woman said to her companions.
         Tash glared at her and began scratching his back again as the itch reappeared.  But as he scratched blood began to pour down his back and the itch was replaced by pain.  The pain grew and grew, spreading from his back to his arms and legs, and then across his chest, stomach, and finally his face. 
         His eyes widened in horror as he witnessed his skin begin to turn from pale white, to black as if it was being burned by fire.  His body screamed in pain.  His heart raced.  Sweat poured down his face and soaked his garments.  He looked at the three, who were standing still and silent.
         “Now?” one of them asked.
         “Not yet,” said the woman. 
         Tash tried to yell at them, to call them cowards, but when he opened his mouth only an unintelligible howl came out.  He looked longingly to the shadows and tried to run towards them, hoping to escape, hoping to find Levay.  Levay would know what was wrong. 
         He took one step towards the shadows, and stumbled to the ground.  He tried to stand, but he couldn’t.  His spine had bent in a way that forced him to stay on his hands and knees like any common four legged beast. 
         Another step and Tash forgot why he wanted to head towards the shadows in the first place.
         Another step and he forgot his name.
         Another step and he felt undeniable and unquenchable hunger.
         Another step and all words disappeared from his mind. 
         “Now,” the woman said.  The two boys nodded and leapt towards the creature that had once been Tash.
         A few quick attacks were all they needed before one of them sent his blade through Tash’s neck decapitating him.  The creature let out one final howl before his body became like dust blowing away in the wind leaving no trace behind. 
         “He’s gone,” said the one who killed him.
         “Consumed by his own darkness,” said the other.  The woman joined them in the place where Tash’s body had last stood. 
         “Are there others?” one asked.  The woman nodded slowly.
         “The lure of darkness is far too strong,” she said.  “There will always be another.”
© Copyright 2006 Phil Liaboe (phillydog413 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1190119-The-Consuming-Darkness