*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1191237-Excerpt
by Shadou
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1191237
First bit of a story I'm working on. Not sure if I'm going to continue it. You agree?
Author's note: This part really jumps into the story, a bit. I was planning on using a flashback storytelling style, but I may not even continue the story at all. I'd love it if people could tell me what they think, and if it's worth finishing. *Heart*

         The bird chirped mournfully as its mate was removed from the cage, a slender hand cradling the feathered creature gently. A quiet “shh” passed pale lips, gently comforting the parakeet still inside.
         “Lovely bird,” he said, one finger delicately stroking at the soft, blue feathers, “All’s well.”
Pursing his lips, the man unconsciously tightened his grip upon the bird in his hand as his thoughts turned inward. It squawked in displeasure, wiggling from his grasp and fluttering its wings weakly, making its way back into the grandiose birdcage as it was released. But the owner paid no attention, eyes focused on the other man that stood before him.
         "Silas," the bird-charmer stated, looking him over from head to toe, "I expected more from you." At his words, the rather young-looking male dropped his head in shame, and Azriel paused. There was a pang of hurt that accompanied the disrespute displayed there; he ignored it deftly in favor of stepping forward, now looming over the servant with his aristocratic grace. "What do you have to say for yourself?"
         "My deepest apologies, sir," Silas said, gaze of green sliding from his feet to the older man's face. "I don't have any excuses for you."
         "When I hired you, I explained the importance of being civil to my guests, yet you thought it was acceptable to physically assault one," Azriel admonished, his tone far from gentle. The Baron's disappointed gaze felt heavy, and Silas had to look back down to his feet, his lips pursing. The real reasons for his attack on one of the 'guests' were his own - being punished was far more acceptable than letting his Lord know the truth. "Explain yourself," the aristocrat commanded, one hand forcing the younger man's chin up, the servant's green eyes in turn focusing on Azriel's blue ones.
         "He insulted you, sir," Silas lied easily, definace flashing briefly across his face, "I could not allow such slander against your good name." Azriel frowned, stepping away from the servant and turning to face the window once more.
         "Those are not grounds to warrant such an attack," the Baron said, "People of my status are often targets of such words. In the future, you will remain polite and pretend as though you never heard a thing. Inform me if you must - if my life is being threatened, for example - but never take it upon yourself to punish my guests."
© Copyright 2006 Shadou (shadou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1191237-Excerpt