*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1191603-Kia
by Brook
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1191603
Intro to "Kia". Story about a young cat out to see the world.
A night's watch can be lonely, even to the most solitary creature. Kia the cat was no stranger to loneliness.

    From the time she was born, the clan knew that Kia was special. Her build was thin but strong, her eyes shone, and she had the mark of a leader. All of her pelt was grey, but for one white patch between her ears.

    She stood now facing east, awaiting dawn and relief. A thought crossed her mind: My lot is changing. That was true; she would soon earn her hunting name.

    A cat's hunting name is a title used only among their own clan, said to reflect the heart. Only one’s song name was more sacred.

    Well, enough of that, she told herself.  You still have two hours' watch. There was a scent on the breeze- another cat! A tom, in a careless mood, and carrying prey; a mouse, perhaps.

    "Who comes?" she asked, though she had guessed already.
   
  "Leaf Shade the Traveler, my lady!" It was him, aright! No other cat addressed her as “my lady.”

    "Good morrow, sir." Pretending equal formality, Kia took a step forward and lowered her head.

    With a laugh and a bound he he came into sight. Brown as loam, with black stripes, he had a constant twinkle in his green eyes.  "A very good morrow to you as well, Kia. Do be so kind as to look me in the eye!"    She did, and they touched noses in the old greeting. "Come into the camp; Father will be pleased to see you."

    "Good, but don't forget to excuse yourself." He laughed again and ran into the camp
© Copyright 2006 Brook (penbrookjorin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1191603-Kia