*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1192617-Chapter-FourThe-de-Mandevilles
by Grace
Rated: E · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1192617
Crystal's been dreading this night for weeks, does she change her mind too late?
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **






Crystal’s high-heeled shoes clacked loudly on the wooden floor as she made her way down the hall in the direction of Rose and Dawn’s raised voices. It was the day of the ball and Crystal had escaped her bedchamber. It took two grueling hours to wash, dry, and style her hair into a curling dark mass atop her head. She spent an additional two hours standing in front of her mirror watching herself be transformed, by her mother and Liza, into someone she didn’t recognize. Her lips and face were painted, silver patches of glittering moons and stars were pressed on her cheeks and at the corners of her eyes. Pearls adorned her throat, purposefully drawing attention to her low-cut neckline. She had bathed in milk to soften her skin and then rose water to make even the air around her smell of flowers. With a final warning to Crystal not to let a single hair fall out of place Mother rushed to the master bedroom for some last minute primping.

If they did not leave soon there would be no getting to the de Mandevilles’ on time, which would be completely unacceptable. However, by the high pitched shouting that was coming from Dawn’s room Crystal wagered that they were far from ready. With a swish of her many silk skirts she threw the bedroom door open and strode inside. The scene before her was of Dawn and Rose, half dressed in their evening gowns, posed for battle, standing at opposite ends of the room. Faces flushed with fury, fists clenched at their sides, jaws gritted as they shrieked at one another. In the midst of this two young maids were trying to tie on corsets and keep hair firmly pinned into place. All the while Christy sat upon the bed, a gleeful look on her face as her head swung back and forth from one angry sister to the other.

“I told you already, I did not take them!” Rose shouted. “I put them back in the box like you asked.”

“Well then where are they?” Dawn turned and began rummaging through her jewelry box set on the carved oak dresser. “I’ve looked everywhere, they can’t of just walked off by themselves!”

“What in heavens name are you two shrieking about?” Crystal glanced at the gold clock that hung from the wall as she took another step into the room. “Mother is going to take a belt to both your hides if you’re not ready soon.”

“I would be ready if Rose hadn’t stolen my earrings.” Dawn threw a nasty glare at Rose who stuck her tongue out in response. “She hide them because she’s mad I wouldn’t let her wear them to the ball.”

“I didn’t take them!” Rose crossed her arms in a childish gesture. “I put them back where they were after you told me I couldn’t wear them.”

“Are you sure you didn’t misplace the earrings, Rose?” Crystal ventured.

“No I didn’t!” Rose said. “I put them–.”

“Alright, alright I believe you,” Crystal quickly amended. “But where could they have gone?”

Dawn threw her hands in the air. “That’s what I’ve been saying! There’s no way they got up and walked off on their own, so it had to be–.”

Christy! ” Crystal interjected, catching on to the reason for her youngest sister’s glee.

“What?” Dawn and Rose said in unison, both their heads swiveling around to look at their sister who was rolling on the bed in silent laughter.

“Christy, you took my earrings?” Dawn cried, striding to the bed.

There was no need for Christy to confirm or deny the question, it was obvious from the half guilty, half mirthful look on her face, that she was the culprit.

“Where are they?” Dawn demanded.

Still laughing, Christy pointed to the jewelry box.

“But I already looked in there,” Dawn said, hurrying back to the dresser and once again digging through the contents of the box.

“No, no,” Christy choked out through her laughter, making wild gestures with her hands to pick the box up.

Dawn lifted her jewelry case and felt underneath, she almost reluctantly pulled the earrings from their simple hiding place and held them up for all to see.

“You looked everywhere?” Rose asked Dawn her eyebrows arching.

“Well . . . I thought I did . . .”

“Next time look a little harder,” Rose said as she walked to the door. “Now if you’ll excuse me I have to get ready for the ball.”

“I’m sorry,” Dawn mumbled, but Rose was already gone. “I should have realized there was a thief in the room.”

Both sisters turned to glare at Christy, who finally managed to stop laughing and was edging off the bed.

“Sorry,” she muttered before darting out of the room.

Crystal and Dawn exchanged an aspirated glance, their youngest sister could be such a pest when she didn’t get the things that she wanted, like to go to the ball.

“We have to be in the coach on our way in thirty minutes,” their mother’s voice rang down the hall. “If you girls are not ready we are leaving without you.”

Dawn looked suddenly alarmed. “I better hurry or we’ll be late. Oh, I can’t wait ‘til the evening begins!”

Crystal smiled half-heartedly at her sister, wishing that she felt the same way about tonight.

It was nearly forty minutes later that their mother finally managed to rush them out the door. Dawn, at the very last minute, decided that she wanted to change, but Mother said that if she took one minute longer she would be left behind. Nevertheless Dawn threw a tantrum, yelling that she should have worn the yellow dress. Once in the coach they were all subjected to her whining that she looked thirty, until Mother snapped at her to shut her mouth. There was a thick silence in the air after that as they rode downtown. Father kept fidgeting with his cravat unnecessarily, Mother was tapping her nails on her fan, Dawn and Rose were endlessly adjusting their hair and shawls, trying to get a look at themselves in the reflection in the window. Crystal was the only one that didn’t stir, she blankly stared at the coach wall, her thoughts miles from them all.

The de Mandevilles’ four-story angled townhouse was set at the corner of St. Charles Avenue and Canal Street, the mansion was lit more brightly than any other house on the street. Candlelight glowed from every window, illuminating the figures that danced across the floor, swirling in and out of view. Laughter and lively music drifted out through the front doors that stood wide open in welcome to all the guests that were ambling up the lawn.

Crystal’s mother dragged her to the front of the line as they climbed the front steps so that she was the first to enter the large foyer. Charles’ parents, Pierre and Eleanor de Marginy de Mandeville, stood to the left, near the entry to the ballroom offering words of welcome to the guests that arrived at their home. They both beamed when they caught sight of her. Mrs. de Marginy’s cheeks were rosy in the stuffy entrance hall, but her eyes glittered with excitement.

“Crystal, darling, how are you?” She took Crystal’s hands in her own small pudgy ones and kissed both her cheeks warmly.

Crystal suppressed a cough from the excessive amounts of perfume Mrs. de Marginy wore and returned the gesture. “I’m fine, Mrs. de Marginy, I hope you are the same.”

“Oh, I’m better then fine, dear, wonderful in fact.” She leaned closer and Crystal flicked a wary glance towards the giant head piece that sat upon Eleanor’s white head. It was bursting with feathers, pearls and extensions. Threatening to topple over with the slightest movement. “I’ve been waiting for this announcement for years, I’m so glad Charles finally found a woman that can make him happy.”

Crystal smiled at her soon-to-be mother-in-law, hoping it didn’t look entirely fake, and turned to Mr. de Marginy. The man was at least a head taller than her and she felt the urge to step back to get a better look at him. His lanky frame could be quite intimidating up close.

“Mr. de Marginy, how are you feeling?” she asked. “I was grieved to hear of your ill health last week, but you are looking as young and chipper as ever I’ve seen you tonight.” It was rather amazing that at seventy-one Mr. de Marginy looked not a day older than fifty. His hair, no longer the velvet black of his youth, but shot with grey, was still thick and wavy, his grey mustache trimmed perfectly over his pleasant smile.

“That’s because I’m thankful I’ve lived to see the day my son asks a woman to marry him.” he said in a low voice so that those around them could not overhear. “There was a time when I thought there was no hope and I’d be dead and buried before Charles ever found a bride. Yet, he has and I shall die knowing God blessed him with an angel sent from heaven.” He regally bowed over her hand and brushed her gloved fingertips with his lips.

Crystal blushed and lowered her eyes. “You do jest, Mr. de Marginy I am no such holy being.”

“Ah, but you are as close as they come.” He straightened, wrinkles gathering at the corners of his grey eyes as he smiled. “But I must protest this ‘Mr. de Marginy’ hogwash, it’s ‘Papa Marginy’ to you.”

Crystal laughed quietly and glanced around to check that no one was listening. Behind her her parents were conversing enthusiastically with Mrs. de Marginy. Dawn and Rose stood beside them, staring past the line into the ballroom with looks of longing. “Alright then, Papa Marginy it is.”

“Wonderful, wonderful!” Pierre laughed heartily. “Now why don’t you run off and find that son of mine. He’s been grumbling all night, and I think you’ll be just the cure for his ill temper.”

Crystal nodded, and with a final smile stepped into the brilliantly lit ballroom. It was crowded with guests, dozens swirling across the dance floor while others mingled on the sidelines. Threading her way through the crowd, she scanned the room for Charles, yet he was nowhere to be found, which was odd considering he was usually the center of attention. After circling the dance floor twice with no luck, she slipped into an alcove and watched the party go on around her.

Dawn was already spinning around in the arms of a young gentleman Crystal didn’t recognize, while poor Rose’s feet were being trampled by June’s cousin Felix’s large awkward feet. Across the room she saw her cousin, Lily Almonaster, slipping out to the gardens with Edward Chalmette in tow. Near the very edge of the floor, June was flirting with Lily’s brother, Phillip Almonaster, his gangly body shadowing June’s petite frame.

At the sight of her friend, Crystal remembered that she was upset with her. She hadn’t actually seen June since the night at the Place des Negres, and it was difficult to be angry with someone who wasn’t around. A week later Crystal had almost forgotten why she had been so enraged in the first place. Almost.

When June eventually glanced her way, Crystal gestured for her to join her in the alcove. This June did with obvious reluctance, she had apparently been enjoying herself, though Crystal wasn’t exactly sympathetic.

“Having fun?” Crystal asked once June was within earshot.

“Oh, yes.” June sat down on the bench and pulled out her fan, waving it back in forth to cool her flushed face. “I do believe the de Marginys’ have out done themselves this year. This is the grandest ballroom I’ve ever seen,” she said gazing around the lavishly decadent room.

Crystal knew she was stalling their conversation, but decided to humor her. She regarded the ballroom, and had to agree that the de Marginys’ knew how to show off their wealth. The staircase was garlanded in roses for a full three flights. Vases on mantels and brackets filled with fragrant flowers made the room a fairyland. The ladies in their gorgeous costumes of lace in every color imaginable, decked out in jewels and plumes, made the illusion even more real.

“It is lovely.”

“But, Crystal, you don’t seem to be enjoying the night as you should be, didn’t anyone tell you? This is your engagement party.” June smiled brightly, but Crystal only frowned. “Don’t tell me you’re still upset that I left you,” June said rolling her eyes, though Crystal could see she felt guilty by the way she avoided her gaze.

“How did you get home?” Crystal asked, hoping that starting with simple questions would make this easier.

June lowered her head and became intently interested in her fingernails as she mumbled, “I drove the wagon.”

“You what?” Crystal grabbed her friend’s hand and forced her to turn toward her.

June sighed. “Crystal please, I know you hate me and I was stupid, but I really did think you’d already gone home. I looked for you and you had disappeared. I assumed Free had taken you back, honestly. I never would have intentionally left you there alone. You know that don’t you?”

Crystal stared at her with narrowed eyes, refusing to be the good friend and forgive without question. “If you thought Free had taken me home, which he hadn’t, then where was he?”

June bit her lip. “I’m not sure. I – I guess he ran away. Though I think I got drunk, because I barely remember what happened that night.”

“Not anything?”

“Well, I remember dancing with Pierre and him giving me a bottle of ginger ale–”

“That wasn't ginger ale, it was whiskey! How could you not have known?”

“I did think it tasted a little funny,” June muttered, pushing a lock of blonde hair behind her ear. “But that’s what Pierre said it was...”

“Oh, don't give me that. You just wanted him to like you. He could have given you poison, told you what it was, and you still would have drank it!” Crystal lowered her voice, realizing she was drawing attention to them.

“I know, and I’m so sorry, Crystal.” June hid her head in her hands and Crystal could barely make out her next words. “I never should have suggested we go to that place.”

Crystal didn’t respond, she glared down at June and tried to keep her anger hot, but she had never been good at staying angry with her best friend, no matter the reason. Even as she focused her mind on the fear and terrifying events of that night, she could feel her anger cooling in the wake of June’s misery. June looked up as the silence between them stretched on, and Crystal saw the tears that shone in her grey-green eyes, her lower lip trembling with the effort of not crying.

Defenses broken down to pieces, Crystal finally gave in. “It’s all right, it’s all over and no one found out about anything, so we can just forget it ever happened.”

“Really?” June looked like a hopeful child, she clasped Crystal’s hand in her own with a pleading smile on her face.

“Yes, June. I forgive you. Don’t I always?”

June’s face split into a grin and she hugged Crystal. “You do. And you’re the best friend anyone could ever have.”

“I’m glad you think so.” Crystal hugged her back, feeling more like the most gullible friend anyone could ever have.

When they pulled apart, June was completely herself again. Crystal had to wonder if she’d imagined the repentant child of moments ago.

“Are you still having doubts about Charles?” June asked after a moment of studying her frowning face. Crystal would have laughed at the sudden change of subject, if it hadn’t been such a dreary switch. “Crystal, surely you realize that love will come with time,” June continued. “You only have to be patient, marrying Charles is the right decision for you, I know it.”

“That’s what everyone keeps saying,” Crystal said as she scanned the ballroom again, wishing June hadn’t reminded her that she should be looking for Charles. There was still no sign of her fiancé. “But I don’t know, what if they’re all wrong?” she asked settling her gaze on June.

“How can everyone be wrong?” June asked, her voice aspirated. “You two were meant for each other, and Charles loves you, Crystal, isn’t that enough . . . for now?”

Crystal sighed. “I’d like to say it is, but something in me– something I can’t explain– says differently.”

June rested her chin on her fist and raised her eyebrows as she smiled. “Now you’re just saying that to be dramatic.”

Crystal felt the tug of a smile on her face, but it disappeared instantly. “No . . . no I’m not.”

June rolled her eyes up to the ceiling, as if it too understood how ridiculous Crystal was being. “I think you’ve just got a case of premarital woes,” June said matter of factly. With a shrug she stood, obviously finished with Crystal’s bemoaning.

Crystal rose as well, brushing out any creases that may have appeared in her skirt. “You’re probably right, and I suppose it’s a little late to be having doubts. I should just enjoy my engagement party, after all I’m only going to be a single woman for a few more months.”

“That’s the spirit!” June smiled and took Crystal’s hand, obviously relieved to be done with their conversation. “Now let’s go see what Lily Almonaster is doing out on the terrace alone with that Chalmette boy, shall we?”

Crystal burst out laughing. “You saw her too?”

“Of course,” June said with a mischievous grin. “I’ve been watching her ever since I caught her out there with him the first time.”

They wove their way through the crowd, to the back of the room where the glass paneled French doors led out to the maze of flowers and plants that was the back yard. The light of the moon blazed down upon them as they stepped out in the cool night, the sweet smell of magnolia trees and azalea bushes filling the air. The splash of a water behind a row of banana trees hinted the presence of a fountain. A quiet giggle beyond this noise beckoned a thrilled grin across June’s face.

Together they quietly walked to the stone fountain that was shaped to resemble two lovers entwined, and split up to follow the separate paths that stretched deeper into the garden. Crystal could hear the giggling growing fainter with every step she took, it was darker in the shadow of the small magnolia trees and she was about to turn around when a different sound caught her ear. Hushed voices on the crisp breeze, escaping from the small foreclosure that formed a secluded spot, the only entrance was the vine covered arch that was at the end of the narrow path.

“. . . told me all I needed was to deal with one . . . you imbecile!”

She didn’t question whose voice it was, having located her fiancé she was now only interested in what had him hiding in the garden when he was supposed to be at his engagement party. Slowly she moved forward, her skirts catching in the bushes as she walked. She craned her ear to hear. The other voice was much quieter and it was only faintly familiar, blending in with the rest of the acquaintances she didn’t have a name for.

“. . . apologies. I had no incitation that this would happen . . . the small print.”

“You didn’t read the small print?!” Charles’s voice shot up in volume momentarily and Crystal took the opportunity to get closer. When he spoke again it was in a chilling whisper, “Do you realize the planning I’ve put into this, William?”

There was an inaudible muttering as the man, Crystal now realized was William Dreaux, replied. She now recognized the voice of Charles’ friend, William Dreaux, as he muttered a reply. Though it was hard to consider the spoiled man of twenty-four as Charles’ friend. He was more like his worshiper, and had been so ever since Charles had taken William under his wing in their boarding school days. To Crystal’s understanding, the only people who befriended William at all were those who knew he had the ear of the chief judge, his father, Bernard Dreaux.

“You had better. After months I’ve spent making sure everything was just perfect, you better do more than fix it. I don’t care if you have to–”

“June Allian, I’ll rip your hair out!”

Lily’s shriek split across the garden and Charles and William abruptly fell silent; Crystal was sure they would come rushing out from the arch in a matter of moments. Spinning on her heel she tried to rush down the narrow path without any noise, but kept getting snagged by tiny branches. She was still in sight of the arch, and she knew there was no hiding her dress, the light blue silk glowed white in the moonlight; she was the first thing the men looked at when they stepped out from under the arch.

There was nowhere to run or hide, her petticoat was twisted in the branches of a rosemary bush, and she had just been eavesdropping on her future husband. Mother was going to skin her alive.

“Crystal, my darling, what on earth are you doing out here?” Charles was glancing around as if he suspected there may be others lurking in the flowerbeds. He pushed his golden-blonde hair away from his face and gave William a sharp look before advancing forward.

It was hard for Crystal not to turn and run as both men came at her. Charles’ broad shoulders nearly taking up the entire path, his grey eyes appraising her. William trailed behind, pulling his gold rimmed spectacles off of his face and polishing them nervously with the cloth in his sausage like fingers. When he replaced them, his brown eyes appeared twice the size they really were.

Crystal realized, as the silence in the night lengthened, that she was supposed to answer the question Charles had posed. “Oh, um . . . I was – was looking for you of course!” she plastered a smile on her face and prayed that he believed her. It wasn’t exactly a lie, after all, she had been looking for him before this. “Your father told me you were out here.” That seemed a suitable enough excuse, though by the quick alarmed glances the two exchanged, this meant more to them than it did to her.

Charles stiffly straightened the lapels of his jacket and flashed a false grin at her. “Well, I’m certainly glad you are here, ma cherie. I have counted the seconds ‘til your arrival.” He bowed low over her hand, and placed a light kiss on her silk glove.

“You are too kind,” Crystal murmured, wondering what they had been discussing that had them both so worked up. The conversation she’d overheard made no sense, what had they been planning for months? What had gone so wrong? However, she wasn’t exactly an expert when it came to business matters, and surely that was what this was about. Charles would own half of New Orleans once he gained his inheritance. Apparently so much responsibility was stressful.

“It is a pleasure to see you again, Miss de la Chaise.” William said, taking his turn to kiss her hand, she could feel the cold sweat of his palm even through her glove.

“And you, Mr. Dreaux.”

“I hear congratulations are in order,” William continued, his eyes darting around distractedly. “Charles is a lucky man to have won such a prize.”

Crystal smiled politely, though resenting being called Charles’ prize. “Thank you, sir. I only hope I can count upon you to keep the news to yourself until later in the evening.”

“Why, of course, of course, mademoiselle, I promise you, my lips are sealed.” William pretended to lock his mouth and throw away the key.

Charles laughed a little too heartily, as he gave William a friendly slap on the back that almost knocked his glasses off. “Good man, William, loyal as the day is long.” Charles gripped William’s shoulder and Crystal saw the shorter man cringe as Charles’ fingers dug into his jacket. “You have nothing to worry about, my dear, our announcement will be kept quiet until exactly the right moment. Now if you will excuse us, William, I do believe Miss de la Chaise promised me her first dance.”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that, Charles.” Crystal said, biting her lip.

There was a flash of emotion across his face, that Crystal was sure she imagined as anger, before he politely inquired why she was refusing him.

“Well, my dress is stuck, to be honest.”

Both men dropped their gazes to the ruffle of white petticoat that was tangled in the rosemary bush. Heat rushed to her face, and she would have given anything to be somewhere else. To have two men, even if one was her fiancé, staring down at her exposed petticoats was mortifying.

“Ah, well.” Charles swiftly bent down and jerked the skirt free, tearing the delicate lace fabric in the process. Crystal flinched, and could practically hear her mother’s appalled voice as she tried to explain what events had led to the ripping of her best underskirt. “All better.” Charles stood and offered Crystal his arm, she accepted, deciding that it was not the time to cry over ruined clothing. Together they returned to the house, William trailing behind.

Charles led her to the brightly lit dance floor where a dozen other couples whirled in time with the music, they joined the throng with ease, matching their pace to the dancers around them. She caught sight of Dawn dancing with a dark-haired Creole at the other end of the floor, Crystal smiled and raised her brows in question when Dawn spotted her observing them. Her sister smiled in return, and with a shake of her head, said that she’d tell her later.

Crystal nodded, and spun under Charles’ arm, spotting June dancing with Phillip Almonaster as she did. Her best friend’s eyes gleefully flicked to Lily, who was in the alcove Crystal and June had recently vacated, with her mother. Lily’s eyes were downcast as she listened to whatever it was Mrs. Almonaster was saying, which couldn’t be pleasant considering the harsh look on the older woman’s face.

Crystal glanced up at Charles, his expression was brooding and for a time they were silent, both concentrated on the waltz that they were performing. Charles seemed distracted and Crystal searched for something to say, but found that all she could think about was how much she wished the night would end. It had gone completely wrong so far and she couldn’t imagine it getting any better.

“You look lovely tonight, ma cherie,” Charles finally said. “You outshine every woman here.” His voice was low, his eyes intent upon her. Apparently he had finally stopped thinking about his conversation with William, though the subject he chose would have not been Crystal’s selection. “William was wrong when he said I was just a lucky man, I’m the luckiest man in Louisiana.”

She looked up at her fiancé, willing her heart to react to his words, skip a beat, pound faster, anything. There was nothing, his words were hollow and meaningless to her. Nevertheless she giggled as a smitten maiden was expected to do. Charles grinned as if he’d accomplished something by making her laugh, and discreetly pulled her closer, so that he could whisper in her ear. “I count the days ‘til our wedding night, I cannot rest at night for thinking about it.”

His breath was hot on her ear and Crystal was convinced that her face could not become any redder, she wished desperately that the dance would end so that she could avoid having to respond to his bold comment. His eyes glimmered with desire and Crystal felt as if he were imagining what it would be like to devour her. The thought made her shudder inwardly.

Charles seemed completely oblivious to her uncomfortable state, and unconcerned by her silence, he continued to study her, his fingers stroking her nearly bare back with unsettling familiarity.

“Charles,” Crystal started to tell him to stop. He knew she didn’t like him touching her like this in public, or anywhere for that matter. She’d told him that when he’d tried to kiss her as they took a walk through the Oak Alley gardens the week before the ball. She was afraid that after their engagement his advances would become more insistent. Before, holding her a little too close was as far as he would go, now it seemed all of that had changed. He was crossing lines he’d never crossed before. Such behavior in plain sight of everyone was humiliating. “Charles, please don’t, not here. Please.” Her voice was soft and she wasn’t sure if he heard her but at that moment the music stopped and applause drowned out her words.

When the next dance began Charles tried to lead her into it, but Crystal shook her head. “I’m feeling a little faint, Charles. Lets sit this one out.”

Charles grinned, a triumphant look on his face. “Of course, ma cherie, we can join in the dancing again later.”

With a glimmer in his eye he led her off the dance floor and towards the fireplace where he left her seated on an armchair while he went to fetch her a refreshment. Crystal stared at the empty hearth, her mind focused on the events of moments ago. She was angry– not at Charles– but at herself for being so uncomfortable with her fiancé that she couldn’t stand his intimate touch. What’s wrong with me?! But she knew what was wrong with her, she didn’t love Charles, and she wasn’t sure she ever would.







*******






Continue with: "Chapter Five: Familiar Stranger
© Copyright 2006 Grace (2beautiful7g at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1192617-Chapter-FourThe-de-Mandevilles