*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195338-Wireless-Part-2-of-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1195338
A bizarre Edgar lusts for a yoga instructor while trying to maintain loyalty to his job.
Part 2 of 2


Wireless

Madeline yawned, wiped the trail of drool running down her chin, and climbed out of her covers. “Good morning baby,” she said as she opened the sunflower curtains. “Good morning world. Although, baby in my tummy, some of them are still asleep and some of them have been up for quite some time now. Regardless, good morning central time zone. Although, some of them work the night shift so they’re probably sleeping right now and some of them get up really early like those soldiers doing physical fitness training on the Army base. Well, this is odd. Who do I say good morning to? I suppose if they’re awake I can say good morning to them. And if they are asleep, they won’t hear me anyway.” Madeline looked into her yard. The leaves coated the overgrown lawn and the birds flew south for the winter, but the air was too warm to allow anything more than rain. Had it not been for ripples within the cupped leaves, she would have never noticed it was drizzling. “Good morning.”

Madeline caressed her belly as she hurdled over the shower ledge. “It won’t be long now. I probably should’ve handled your father a little better huh? You might grow up without a father figure. I just hope you get his good looks.” Madeline visualized her child’s father as a cone of water massaged her back. He was a handsome man with chiseled features, large muscles and flowing blonde hair. Why he went for Madeline she could never, nor did she want to, understand.

Madeline finished her shower and dressed for work. The Spandex shorts felt a little snug so she decided to go with sweatpants and a baggy shirt Phillip left on his last overnighter. After breakfast she went to work.

She opened a half-hour early to sort out paperwork and tidy up. She filed the two papers from the to-be-filed tray and grabbed the vacuum from the janitorial/coat closet. She unwound the cord, plugged it in and flicked the switch. She enjoyed that synthetic smell her vacuum produced. Her task, a difficult one with such a short cord, always began at the far corner of the yoga room and ended near the entrance.

With the cord taut and her nose taking in exhaust Madeline swayed to the humming vacuum. As she reached the middle of the room a hand settled gently on her shoulder. “Christ on a pony!” Madeline screamed. The Hoover floated across the room. Its momentum carried it into the wall pulling the plug from the outlet.

“I’m terribly sorry Madeline,” Laurie murmured. Laurie, two months pregnant, shied her pretty face into her coat collar. Laurie just recently signed a contract to model maternity clothing. She knew she would be out of a job for at least six months of her pregnancy and possibly some time after her child’s birth if she couldn’t lose the weight. She enjoyed Madeline’s corky mannerisms and bizarre personality, but avoided becoming friends out of a instinctive apprehension to introverts.

“Wow!” Madeline said tapping the top of the handle. “Laurie you’re lucky my water didn’t break or we’d be looking to purchase a wet-dry vac.”

Laurie took a second to process the comment then began her blitzkrieg of laughter. It started out high and ended with grunts and everything in between pierced Madeline’s ears.

“So you’re a model huh?” Madeline needed to divert the pretty girl’s mind to anything but laughter.

“Yep,” Laurie answered. “An actress too.”

“As long as the director doesn’t make you laugh?”

“I don’t get it.”

“Never mind. Why’d ya tap me on the shoulder?” She questioned as Laurie tried to comprehend Madeline’s previous comment.

“Oh, I thought I should give you a hand. Your about to pop any day now and I’m just fine. Well two months just fine. My bellies not even showing yet.”

“Quit bragging,” Madeline said regretfully as the wave of laughter rolled around the room.

“You’re so funny. I bet your little baby’s father loves that sense of humor.”

“Well he’s kinda out of the picture,” Madeline said dropping her head.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean—”

“Don’t be, he was great.” Madeline’s head cranked back to look at Laurie’s eyes. “Maybe you knew him, he was a fashion designer.”

“Oh really, what’s his name?”

“Phillip Irving.”

“No, doesn’t ring any bells, but then again I’ve met a ton of fashion designers over the years. I can barely remember the guy I’m currently working for.”

“Well the man was gorgeous. He had a Masters Degree, he was six foot one, and he had blonde hair and blue eyes. I met him at a fitness convention. He was really big into sportswear. In a way he was my night in shining armor.”

“What do you mean?” Laurie questioned removing her jacket.

“Well, these two men were discussing sports bras in the seats in front of me and they got a little too graphic if you know what I mean. He must’ve sensed I was a little uncomfortable because he taps one of the guys on the shoulder and asks them if they wouldn’t mind changing the subject. He even said it was hurting his delicate ears, can you believe it? It was so heroic. He never once mentioned my presence to them and he sitting right next to me. Then when the speaker was through with his lecture and everyone started leaving he said he noticed me fidgeting a bit so he assumed their ‘support’ jokes were starting to bother me.

“He smelled so good. That was the first time I had trouble asking a guy out, but I didn’t need to because he asked me to out. Of course I said yes and that night he picked me up in his shiny red Porsche. He gave me flowers, opened all the doors, and pulled out my chair. He was the perfect gentleman.

“That night when he dropped me off I was so smitten by him I invited him in if you know what I mean.”

“You didn’t,” Laurie said as she chewed her thumbnail.

“I did, but he said no; which only made me want him more. If I could’ve I would’ve ripped the clothes off his back right there and sexed his brains out, but he set up another date with me before I had the chance. And he was gone.

Laurie shook her head, “Did he come back?”

“Oh you better believe he came back. This time we went to dinner, a gorgeous play, and a buggy ride through the park.

“These dates continued for a whole week, each one better than the next. By the end of the seventh night I couldn’t take it anymore. I dragged him in and tore him apart, if you know what I mean. I don’t think I ever had that much passion in one night in my life.

“For a few months we did everything together. We were in love and he wasn’t afraid to admit it. He shared everything with me. He cooked, took care of the yard work, and even unclogged my shower drain. Then one day the condom broke.”

“Oh my,” Laurie’s face grew pale, “What happened?”

“I was so close to going on birth control too. Well we talked about it for hours. He was so supportive. Then he proposed; got down on a knee and everything. Of course I told him just because I was pregnant he didn’t have to marry me. He wouldn’t hear it. That night he put his condo up for sale and moved in with me. Then it…” Madeline eyes grew glossy and a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Oh my, are you alright?” Laurie dug in her purse and handed Madeline a tissue.

“It’s just…I never…saw him again.”

“He left you?”

“No, he passed away.”

Laurie lost control and dug into her purse to catch her own tears.

“His motorcycle was clipped by a unlicensed teenager. The bike dropped and slid under a fuel semi. The tanker exploded killing the driver and my fiancé instantly.”

“I’m so sorry.” Laurie gave Madeline a hug and another tissue. They stood that way, Madeline’s face on Laurie’s belly, until the door swung open.

Two pregnant women entered and came upon the crying women in the center of the yoga floor. “What happened?” The women said in unison.

“Madeline was just reminiscing for me.” Laurie released her grip and pulled the ladies aside and whispered, “She lost her fiancé to a motorcycle accident. It’s so terrible. They were in love and he just got yanked from this world.”

“Was he a doctor?” The shorthaired brunette whispered.

“Or was he a novelist?” The curly redhead added.

“No, he was a fashion designer,” Laurie corrected.

“Yeah right,” the brunette said waiting for her friend to agree. “Shauna told me she got a doctor story because she’s a dentist. And Cheryl, the one with the awful lisp said she was told he was a novelist. Her husband is a famous editor. Hence you get a fashion designer story.”

“Madeline’s a fantastic yoga instructor, but she’s a compulsive liar.” The redhead added. Another pair of women entered and unrolled their matts.

“I don’t think she’s ever had a real relationship. She’s a dreamer and the child she’s bringing into this world is going to suffer for it.” The brunette said as she looked over Laurie shoulder. Madeline was winding up the vacuum cord and whistling Eye of the Tiger. She looked as if she never mentioned a word to Laurie. The room filled quickly.

“Do you know Carry Ann?” The blonde asked. Laurie nodded her head. “She works at the health clinic on Twelfth Avenue and a friend of hers who works at the sperm bank told her Madeline’s donor is a muscular six foot one with blonde hair and blue eyes. He even has a Masters Degree. Madeline’s loneliness and detachment from romantic interaction forced her to concoct these fantasies. She changes them on a daily basis and believes each one as she tells it. Each time the story gets more and more elaborate and it always ends with the man dying a brutal death. I even heard she buys men’s clothing thinking the man of the hour is going to wear them. I’m sorry you didn’t know.”

“Okay ladies let’s get started,” Madeline said effervescently.

*

Edgar hit himself just below his receding hairline before picking up a thunderous trot. As his breath grew wheezy, he checked his watch, stepped on his shoelace and skidded on his belly down the sidewalk like a penguin sliding into the cold ocean water. He forgot today was Thursday, the only day the yoga class meets before he starts work.

Edgar stood and held the pain back as long as possible. But slowly his bottom lip curled, his eyes watered, and his jaw quivered. He shook his hands and released a long whimper before examining the damage. No blood, just a grated shirt, ripped pants, and a scraped chin.

“The bigger ya are the harder ya fall,” a young boy said pedaling on the grass around Edgar.

“Keep control,” Edgar heard from a distance.

He tied his shoes and continued his journey to the Kohl’s’ parking lot. Edgar walked up to a woman unbuckling a child from a car seat. “I can keep my eyes open longer,” Edgar said holding the woman’s car door open. The women, a little frightened by the lack of personal space, reached into a dipper bag. “I cried a little when I fell so now my eyes will be moist and refreshed.”

“Get away from me,” the woman said pulling a bottle of pepper spray from the bag. A stream of liquid soaked Edgar’s face. Stunned by the woman’s strange actions, Edgar whipped his face. The pain took only a second and Edgar released a deep moan. He fell to his already bruised knees and clutched his eyes. He slapped his face like Curly from The Three Stooges and fell back against the woman’s car. The woman scurried away. Edgar thought she might call the police and he began to weep. He could not take another night in a prison cell.

The tears helped a little Edgar could see a few feet in front of his orthopedics. He new the sidewalk well enough to reach the traffic light, so he shuffled along keeping his arms out for safety. He regretted leaving Madeline, but needed to evade police action.

Reaching the intersection Edgar strained to see the crosswalk signal. His vision told him the little white man signaled him to cross. His vision however, had a white haze since he escaped the clutches of evil. He took a few steps and a car horn sounded as it zoomed by. Edgar spun. Another passed spinning him once again. Looking down Edgar followed the solid white line until he crossed. Reaching the opposite side Edgar exhaled a sigh of relief.

*

*

Waddling around the corner a siren accompanied by screeching tires caught Edgar’s attention. He froze with fear. The police vehicle climbed the curb and muted its siren.

“You there,” a megaphone sounded. “Put your hands on your head and turn around.”

“I swear I wasn’t going to hurt her,” Edgar said following the voice’s instruction.

Cold metal seats numbed Edgar’s back, while a bright spot light burned his already sore eyes. “We’re investigating a man of your sloppy stature that robbed a convenient store around four this morning.” Edgar could see the outline of a large frame. “Where were you?”

“At home,” Edgar said blinking excessively.

“The convenient store owner said he sprayed the thief with pepper spray before you hit him over the head. It burns doesn’t it?”

“Yes,” Edgar said admitting guilt.

“Why’d you do it?” The officer blew a cloud of smoke into Edgar’s face.

Edgar’s eyelids began to twitch and his hand began to cramp. He knew a blackout rapidly approached. Mental signals misfired. He rubbed his hands to prevent it. He didn’t want to hurt anyone. He just wanted to see Madeline. Gritting his teeth Edgar began to slip. His signals began to cross.

The door burst open. “Sergeant, they caught the guy robbing another convenient store,” a young man fresh out of the academy said out of breath.

“Um, you’re free to go. Sorry for your troubles,” the interrogating officer said on his way out.

Edgar’s eyes stopped twitching. His hand felt odd like a soldier who lost his legs but still feels their presence.

Before leaving Edgar rinsed his eyes in the drinking fountain. “The best thing about this place momma is its location to work.” Edgar whispered.

“Well done,” his mother’s voice said as Edgar spun inside the police stations revolving door.

Edgar checked his Casio: 12:45. He just missed his lunch break. The only part of his day he looks forward to. He walked in the twelve story office building and rode the elevator to the eleventh.

“Edgar where have you been?” Larry, Edgar’s boss, said as soon as the elevator opened.

“I…I…”

“Doesn’t matter, we need you. Thank God you made it.” The balding man said adjusting his glasses. “No one performs like you. I had to cover, but I’m about to snap. You’re the only one who can keep up with the insanity. You are gifted Edgar, gifted. We’re so lucky to have you.”

Edgar sat at his barren cubical, adjusted his mother’s photograph, and removed Larry’s coffee mug. Edgar unfolded his handkerchief, buffed away the brown ring, and dusted the telephone.

Edgar nervously picked up the receiver. The number he dialed hundreds of times, a number he dreamt of or accidentally dialed when ordering pizza, sprung form his fingertip.

The first one is always the hardest. If he could make it past the first phrase, he could make it the rest of the day. Finally it came. The words that brought a grown man to tears. The words that landed him in prison. The words that caused him to destroy his television set. He braced himself, held his breath and slowly brought the receiver to his ear.

“Can you hear me now?”

“Yes,” Edgar replied.

*

“Time’s up,” his boss yelled. Edgar rocked the phone into the cradle, kissed his mother and hustled to the elevator.

Edgar missed Madeline this morning; he wasn’t going to miss her this evening. Edgar rubbed his eyes to ensure they were in proper working order after that devil woman filled his eyes with antiholy water. Edgar decided against running his knees and belly ached. Power walking into the Kohl’s parking lot Edgar scoped the scene for armed assassins. Edgar leaned into the glass and carefully blew out the corner of his mouth.

“Can I help you?”

Edgar jumped back and covered his face.

“You know I can still see you?”

Edgar created a gap between his fingers. His heart raced. The woman he’d loved for so long through a button hole spoke. Nothing in his life compared. His reaction lacked what his daydreams fabricated, but the rush, far more intense than he imagined, left him speechless. The love of his life knew he existed. Edgar lowered his hands and silently broke wind. She might have noticed, but she didn’t appear to smell anything.

“Can I help you in some way,” Madeline said. “It looks like you’re spying on my clients, but that can’t be, can it?”

Edgar longed to run. To avoid ruining a relationship that, for so long, remained one sided. But now they’re involved. What would mother do?

“You look like a lost puppy. And I know puppies just want a place to be loved.”

Edgar fought desires of nuzzling. He would have fetched a stick if she threw it.

“Do you speak you overgrown puppy?”

Edgar heard her voice, but could not compute. His mind felt wireless; nothing connected. His mind roamed and the bill steadily rose. Edgar loved a woman he never spoke to. Madeline did not know him. She will leave if he remained silent. Her questions kept him in place. He wanted to answer each one with charm and wit, but his lips pursed tighter. His eye began to twitch. His hand tightened. He gritted his teeth. He fought the black out. He never won previous fights, but this had to be different.

“I’m Edgar,” spewed from his mouth.

“He speaks,” she returned. “I am Madeline.” Of course he knew that. “I own and run this yoga class.” This was also common knowledge to Edgar.

Madeline mouth opened and she looked skyward. She grabbed her belly. “He, he, he, who.” The child opted for escape. A trickle of water ran down her leg. The bastard child coming into this world knew, even though he had no genetic ties, the father he wanted. “Edgar this isn’t the best time to ask, but would you go out with me?”

“No!” Edgar said blacking out.
© Copyright 2006 Nathan Cliffe (mooreorless80 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1195338-Wireless-Part-2-of-2