*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1196288-Films-of-2006-and-2007
Rated: 13+ · Article · Arts · #1196288
A brief overview of the 2006 and 2007 films I managed to see.
Welcome and thank you for viewing my overview of 2006 films! While I can no longer devote the time it takes me to write a full-page review per film, I've endeavored to at least give my recommendation and general thoughts.

First, a broad hint. My opinion is probably NOT going to match yours. So reviewers, don't slam me if I disliked your fave or vice versa. The point of movie reviews is to get an idea of how you will like something you haven't seen. To do this, you need to find a reviewer YOU LIKE based on similar opinions you have with him or her on movies you've ALREADY SEEN. (sheesh) [end soap box]


Using IMDB.com as a guide, I'm including films with 2006 release dates. Given that many 2006 films will run in theaters well into 2007 and then are available on DVD, this list will be updated as necessary.

Note that any film I rented will be denoted with a (v) for video so it is understood that I based my opinion on small screen visuals and sound. Films not in English will be noted with an (s) for subtitle.



Babel (s)
Blood Diamond (v)
Cars
Casino Royale
Crank
Firewall
The Guardian
The Holiday (v)
Imagine Me & You
An Inconvenient Truth
Inside Man
The Lake House
Little Miss Sunshine
Man of the Year
Monster House (v)
My Super Ex-Girlfriend (v)
The Nativity Story
Night at the Museum
Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor) (s)
Notes on a Scandal (v)
One Night with the King (v)
Over the Hedge (v)
Pirates of the Caribbean 2
Sentinel, The (v)
She's the Man (v)
Stranger than Fiction
Stay Alive (v)
Superman Returns
United 93
Ultraviolet
Underworld: Evolution
V for Vendetta
Wedding Wars (v)
X-Men III

Total: 34
Theater:Video:: 23:11


~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rating Section ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note, I have not included plot summaries or denoted objectionable content. You can find the former on Yahoo Movies or www.IMDB.com and the latter on www.MPAA.org.



Number One Movie of the Year - United 93

United 93 (R) This docudrama by Paul Greengrass is my top pick for 2006. Many people resolved not to see any film relating to 9/11, but let me assure you, you would do well to consider this film, as it neither profits from nor trivializes that tragedy. Greengrass not only obtained permission from every victim's family, but his camera-work is so unobtrusive and his cast (sometimes actual participants on the ground) is so believable, you'll swear you've gone back in time. His skill and sensitivity are truly a worthy tribute. I can't praise it enough. No matter where you live, you owe it to yourself to see this film.

Must See:

Films I recommend unreservedly and have purchased.


Imagine Me & You (R) - Very few romantic comedies impress me. This film is a rare exception. The script is refreshing, its pacing real, its characters gems, and its romantic moments beautiful. Sometimes indistinct dialog seems to be the only flaw, which is readily solved by use of closed captioning.

V for Vendetta (R) - The Wachowski brothers who brought the world of The Matrix have finally matched themselves with this film based on a graphic novel. It doesn't take much to see this as a political commentary in the vein of Swift, which can be a distraction, but it is an excellent story on its own, heart-felt and resonant.

Very Good:

Films I might or might not purchase, but highly recommend.


An Inconvenient Truth (PG) - Don't let the fact this is a documentary fool you. If you like a good scare, this will have you up nights if half the stuff Al Gore says is true. Love him or hate him, his crusade to open eyes to the plight of our only habitable home borders on the heroic. While the film would be better with less Gore family history and still has a lecture feel, you owe it to your children to see this film.

Blood Diamond(R) (v) - The first five minutes of this film should be enough to make the viewer swear off their next diamond purchase. Kudos to the producers of this film for bringing the reality of conflict diamonds to light. As a whole, the film is satisfying, though Leo's character is too erratic for comfort and I'd hoped it would have been blunter (like Tears of the Sun).

The Holiday (PG-13) (v) - On the surface, a simple story about two broken-hearted women who swap houses for Christmas, but it develops with such unique character of its own to make this an above-and-beyond romantic comedy. The writing is top notch and the performances of all four principle characters are the best I have seen for each of them. Utterly charming and addictive.

Monster House (PG) (v) - This animated film using motion capture technology is surprisingly original (see Zathura, 2005) with a story that will keep adult and youth audiences engrossed and performances that people will remember long after.

The Nativity Story (PG) - Everyone knows the nativity story -- or do we? Using the best educated speculation, this film fills in the story to flesh out the characters in a way we've forgotten to see them: as human. Beautiful on several levels, this film written in humble Beaverton, Oregon could just about rival a Mel Gibson production.

Night at the Museum (PG) - Despite being extremely skeptical of comedies, I still highly enjoyed --and recommend-- this fish-out-of-water film. Potty humor, romantic interest, and pre-adolescent involvement are kept to a minimum, allowing mystery, adventure, and whole-hearted fun rise to the fore. And I'm never opposed to a reminder of history's value. A little slow to start, but a twist involving the venerable supporting cast is welcome, and if you're not howling by the time Rexy wags his tail, check your pulse.



Honorable Mention:

Due to content, I cannot recommend these films for everyone, but otherwise, I would consider putting them in the Very Good category.


Crank (R) - This film has very gratuitous sex, language, violence, and drug use, and a pretty ridiculous premise. But if you're not easily offended, it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor) (Not MPAA rated but consider it R) Subtitled. This Russian film is visually riveting and complex, with a story that will delight audiences on their toes enough to follow it. Non-horror audiences should beware the scares, but its three-dimensional characters, intelligent plot, and surprise ending make it more than worth it for those with any interest in the gothic.


The Rest:

Films I had mixed reactions to. They are in title order.


Cars (G) - Certainly the plot is recycled, but kids will like it, parents will get a few chuckles among the yawns, and the message to slow down is timely.

Casino Royale (PG-13) - Starts off extremely strong with a long, rivetting chase scene and smart performances by Judi Dench and Daniel Craig. Then it gets tedious (except one extremely uncomfortable scene) and continues to bore past the third watch-check.

Firewall (PG-13) - While this preteen-safe thriller is not quite up to what I've come to expect from Harrison Ford, the story is still smart, exciting, and touching where it needs to be.

The Guardian (PG-13) - For the most part, this military film suffers from the cliche'd plot of all military training movies. However, since it involves the Coast Guard, previously unseen in popular film, there is enough divergence to make this noteworthy if it's one of your genres of interest.

Inside Man (R) - The villain's plotting is jaw-droppingly brilliant, and a joy to watch unfold, making this a heist film to remember. Too bad performances by the other A-list actors are consistently dull.

The Lake House (PG) - If you can suspend disbelief -- a lot -- this sometimes lukewarm but sweet romance with a twist of modern magic will resonate strongly with anyone who's been in a long-distance relationship.

Little Miss Sunshine (R) - A weird film about an unusual family and its not-so-family-friendly drama. Lots of it. Good enough for indie lovers, but a barrel of laughs it's not. About as comfortable to watch as TransAmerica.

Man of the Year (PG-13) - This film can't quite get over the hump of having to bear multiple sub-genres and a seemingly long run time, but there's enough humanity in the film to make it more or less enjoyable.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend (PG-13) (v) - Amusing in few places, but cheesy, unaffecting and more forgettable than Stranger than Fiction.

Notes on a Scandal (R) (v) - It is a guilty pleasure to see such classy dames as Dench and Blanchett cast in such unbecoming light. But the "abberant sexual content" will make most squirm.

One Night with the King (PG) (v) - Well-known supporting talents make up for the title character's shakey performance early on, and while some events and characterizations are pretty head-scratching, this version of the Biblical Esther story makes for satisfying viewing.

Over the Hedge (PG) (v) - Given the voice talents on board, this should have been a fun film, but the fun gets trounced by a tedious conflict between the two main characters. The rottweiler's too brief scene is hilarious, but inevitably, a forgettable film.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (PG-13) - Generally darker, less interesting, and for older audiences, Pirates 2 is at times confusing and bounces jarringly from the serious and macabre to the downright silly far too much for comfort.

The Sentinel (PG-13) (v) - Pretty much a standard conspiracy movie, though not as grand as most. The setting and history of the Secret Service adds some color, but I'd hoped for a little more warmth and humanity from the characters.

She's the Man (PG-13) (v) - Supposedly based on Shakespeare, this is a popcorn flick for the younger set more interested in the bodies on the screen or amused by overacting and crossdressing gags than in Twelfth Night. Keep the remote handy.

Stay Alive (Director's Cut) (Unrated) (v) - Formulaic, but not poorly done, with the nice addition of modern technology to fuel the horror factor. Not overly scary after the first ten minutes, but still far too graphic for youth.

Stranger than Fiction (PG-13) - Watching this very original concept of a not-so-fictional character find his maker is a delight for any author in the audience, but the novelty probably wears quickly, making it only mildly amusing and mediocre for everyone else.

Superman Returns (PG-13) - While suffering from inconsistencies, a weak Lois, an overlong runtime, and plenty of sap, this next chapter is balanced by Routh, Spacey, John William's theme, great visuals, and a story full of symbolism to make this hero's return to the screen a triumphant one. I'd even say this film could justify Bryan Singer's directoral absence from X-Men III. Maybe.

Ultraviolet (PG-13) - Boasts a few brow-raising visuals in the action department, but storywise, is a complete mess. Is it just me or is enhanced-lady-kicking-futuristic-establishment-ass becoming its own genre? (Aeon Flux, 2005, Underworld, 2003)

Underworld: Evolution (R) - With the world established, the plot focused on better explaination as well as action and romance, and with the addition of Sir Derek Jacobi and return of antagonists killed in the previous film, this should be just as good or better than the first film. Inexplicably, it isn't.

Wedding Wars (?) (v) - The cast lends credibility to the issue of gay marriage and it's many fascets in a way that is both fun and inoffensive. A nice evening rental.

X-Men: The Last Stand (PG-13) - This third in the trilogy could have buoyed the franchise with its tough character hurdles, unusual character alliances, and more involvement of the "X-kids." But despite a cheer-worthy move by Shadowcat and inspiring finish by Wolverine, this film is like Logan's gloom with none of Charles' inspiration. The plot seems intent on the decimation (and underuse) of a great ensemble cast and the demise of the movie franchise with jaw-dropping finality. They really should have waited for Bryan Singer.

Dishonorable Mention - Babel

Babel (R) (often subtitled) - This Academy Award winner gets my Raspberry in the catagory of Offensive Content. Even without the visuals of a boy masturbating, an underage girl flashing the camera, and a chicken getting it's neck wrung and decapitated, this film is two hours of depressing story with zero let-up. So if you like seeing the worst humanity has to offer in four different countries, be my guest. I'm still trying to wash my eyes out. (If you've already had the misfortune of seeing Babel, I recommend renting Joyeux Noel, 2005) as an antidote.



2007



A+ Worth a Best Picture nomination/addition to your collection.
A Worth a second viewing in the theater/addition to a fan's collection.
A- Worth an evening show for most.
B+ Worth an evening show for some.
B Worth a matinee for most.
B- Worth a matinee for some.
C+ Worth a rental for most.
C Worth a rental for some.
C- Worth the wait for TV.
D Waste of money.
F Waste of time.
(v) Note: Did not review on the big screen.


A Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (PG-13) - While the plot of the film is still at times baffling, and the lines even more difficult to pick out with added accents (a second viewing helps both problems), Pirates 3 once again has the restored balance of action and fun which was so badly missing in the second film. Audiences get to see nearly everybody shine (Depp fans will be particularly pleased). Davy Jones' history is revealed, the story maintains complexity and creativity, and the action and soundtrack are still a blast. Parents should beware several scenes too disturbing for children (and a few wish I'd not been exposed to, myself). A shot in the climax of a continual explosion in slowmotion deserves Oscar credit, and fellow movie geeks should arrive early to check out Disney's new "titlecard" and stay late for an extra scene after the credits.


A Live Free or Die Hard (PG-13) - Unlike Pirates3 and Spiderman3, the fourth Die Hard does not suffer if seen without its predicessors. If anything, its formula is greatly improved by the addition of a reluctant sidekick, Justin Long, for Bruce Willis. The plot is (frighteningly) plausible and arresting, the action and pacing riveting, and the casting, acting, and scripting excellent. Stunts and fight scenes are a blast to watch (if frequently implausible), and the bad guys get some moves to balance Willis, who is not at all slowed down by age. By far the best move was the addition of Long, who provides the former lone wolf of the McClane character with a foil for increased character interaction, exposition, and a welcome degree of humor. The lower rating keeps language to the S-word and while the body count is well over a dozen, blood is relatively low. The film suffers a few inconsistencies and several instances of unsyncronized audio.


A- Transformers (PG-13) - Transformers, for the most part, is a really fun romp, especially so if you're already familiar with the cartoon. The appearance of the unmistakable Optimus Prime is a hero moment in and of itself, and hearing the familiar voice of Peter Cullen in the role, is icing on the cake. Humor abounds, breaking the tension and danger in the film, and helps to make up for a few poor performances and several weak places in the plot. The film succeeds very well in making the Transformers visually impressive, and the Autobots become very likeable, charismatic characters. However, action sequences are so fast and blurry, the audience must often give up trying to follow it. Parents should be aware of highly offensive language and behavior, an uncomfortably candid discussion of teen sexual habits, and blatant focus on barely-covered female anatomy. Though on-camera human death is of the one shot/one kill variety, action overall is intense and comes in a variety of different "flavors:" man versus vehicle, man versus robot, and robot versus robot. One action scene involves an attack on a U.S. military base in Iraq, which may be disturbing to some. Great for forgiving Gen X-ers, but definitely not for kids.
Why it's not an A: language, focus on sex, weak human characters, weak plot points.

A- 300 (R) - This is a sword-and-sandal war movie. Hence, if you don't like severed limbs, war cries, and gorgeous filming that turns blood splatter into art, move on. The story is based on an actual event (but loosely enough to make historians cringe) and is a welcome inspirational tale nearly on par with Braveheart for inspiring themes and battle scenes, except it lacks the well-roundedness. Despite over-the-top elements fantastical enough to break suspension of disbelief often, I highly recommend 300 for anyone who needs to roar in righteous triumph, or simply wants to walk tall with a shot of testosterone. Military audiences, I suspect, will in particular appreciate the espirit de corp and the rousing speeches in this film. For me personally: a must own.
Why it's not an A: the drawn out erotic ephors scene and appearance of humanoid monsters.


A- Bridge to Terabithia (v) (PG) - I didn't have high expectations, having heard a couple poor reviews and lumping it into the 'children's fantasy' catagory. But I was very pleasantly surprised. Though it's hard at first to understand the balance of fantasy and reality, the themes of self-confidence, bullying, family and friend relationships, and loss, all of which are written with surprising veracity, easily make up for any early awkwardness. After seeing this film (and not being able to forget it) the award winning book that inspired this movie just zoomed to the top of my reading list. Surprisingly moving. Appropriate for most children fifth grade and up. A hanky movie.


B+ The Bourne Ultimatum - To be honest, I didn't keep up with the trilogy, but the film caught me up enough to enjoy it with only one real "Huh?" moment. Moments where Bourne surprises the audience are frequent enough to risk irritation of some viewers, but a few vehicle scenes and fight scenes make it noteworthy for the action fan.


B+ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The fifth Harry Potter film benefits from an older, more mature Radcliffe, but is once again bound by the constraints of time and the size of the novel. The effect is that the resolution of several characters' plot threads are left dangling, and many cast favorites from prior films have barely any screen time. Without any quiddich to eat up film, the plot at least moves well, and the filming and editing help enable audiences to empathize with the main characters. "Magical" moments are relatively few but well rendered, and the climax is visually well done. Parents should be aware that the Dementors and other scenes of peril may frighten young children.


B Spider-Man 3 (PG-13) - If the third chapter of Spiderman feels long, it is because the plot is just as action-packed as previous films, but longer, still driven by character drama, but more of it, and introduces not one, but two new main characters (three if you include black goop from outer space). Parents should note that the violence is just as gloves-off as before, especially when it comes to the blunt force trauma. Disturbing images include black goop taking people over, Sandman being dismembered numerous times (think T2), and a brief visual of a character's skeleton during an explosion. On the up side, Tobey Maguire and Bruce Campbell get to have some fun, creator Stan Lee has a cameo in Central Park, two unique methods of defeating different villains are introduced, and the themes of forgiveness and choice close out the film. A few visuals look fake and the film suffers from too much repetition of negative concepts (from too much goop to too much "bad Peter"), and not enough of the humanity of Uncle Ben and Aunt May which balanced the first film. Movie-goers prone to motion sickness should not sit near the front, since most of the action is aerial as usual.


C+ The Last Mimzy (PG) - This film starts with a good concept that could serve to positively empower and foster imagination and observation in children and sneaks in a lesson about our responsibility towards our environment. Imaginative visuals, props, and plot is refreshingly welcome; however, the feel-good film is full of plot holes, unconvincing chains of events, and red flag behavior a parent wouldn't want to encourage. Parents should be aware of dangerous imitatable behavior (such as pre-adolescent children driving a van), a recurring theme of dishonesty towards parents, and frequent appearance of dangerous magic-like forces. Squeamish viewers should beware lots of roaches and spiders.

C- Stardust (PG-13) - I was fortunate enough to get to a free screening of this film. Fortunate, because I'm glad I didn't blow money on it. If David Lynch filmed a Grimm's Fairy Tale, this is what it would look like. In order to prove his love to Victoria, Tristan quests to a forbidden kingdom, where he must return with a fallen star in one week. Meanwhile, a dying king tells his feuding sons that whichever reaches the star will be the next king. And three decrepit witches try to kill the star and eat it's heart so they can become young and beautiful again. Major plot points are frequently macabre and the chuckles are usually from bawdy or adult content. The violence is usually quite graphic in nature, if sometimes just off-camera. Accents are a problem and the story abuses the one-week timeline liberally, suffering from low credibility when a character goes from bumbling to master swordsman in under three days.



SOAPBOX

Topic: Marketing and unfamily-friendly content.

Every summer there is a new rash of products for children based on films. Lunchboxes, backpacks... action figures out the wazoo. Question: why are companies marketing Spiderman or Pirates of the Caribbean in a mad frenzy to kids? Answer: to make scads of money, natch. That was just the warm-up. The real question is why market movies to the kids that they shouldn't see? These two examples are rated PG-13 for very good reason. In Pirates3, if the hangings, "fish people," and general violence don't bother the little ones, what about the snapping off of a sailor's frostbitten toe? You thought I wasn't gonna give you "spoilers," huh? Uh-uh. Parents need to know that's in there. What exactly did the writers think that gem was? Comedy? Then why did everyone in the audience cringe and gasp in such horror? Then there's the absolutely unnecessary death of a bad-guy by tentacle through the facial orifices. This, ladies, and gentlemen, is what I've called an "Indiana Jones death." Notice how in every IJ film, someone gets killed through an unusual means like his head melting? Now, let's see... would that give a pre-adolescent nightmares? Uh-huh. So the next time you see little kiddie back-packs and tiny sneakers with Spidy or Jack Sparrow on them, ask yourself why these products fit kids barely in kindergarten. And what effect is this stuff having on the kids whose babysitters (and parents!!) let them watch the movies.

As much as I liked Pirates3, I honestly would rather have been spared both scenes. They were disturbing and unnecessary to the plot. I'm no wimp when it comes to movie violence. But when I sit down expecting to have fun, extreme violence like this is distasteful and detracts from the movie-going experience. And you bet it lowers my rating.

© Copyright 2006 seeksalways (seeksalways at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1196288-Films-of-2006-and-2007