*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1198529-King-Nothing
by Nick
Rated: E · Monologue · Psychology · #1198529
Armed with righteousness and control, mighty is our reign... over the void in our brains.
                                                       
                                                  King Nothing
                                                      by Nick
                                             

      I believe that, aside from mere convenience, our thought pattern highly prefers change to stagnation - however safer the latter is, but values control the most out of all.

    Any exception to usual thinking requires credibility in order to qualify for a revelation, the instance of which is appealing regardless of its utility . Consequently, our subconscious fondness of our new views sparks selectivity in favor of those instances that confirm them. Much like fixing a puzzle image of nature: when assembling the sky section, all the green pieces become invisible.
Similarly, when our interpretive abilities betray us, we naturally put them to the test. However, for many, testing negative interpretations is often biased to their benefit. We want our judgments of people and events to always be right, regardless of the repercussions it might have on our lives. When doubts of infidelity pollute a lover’s sight, you see him stretched beyond his means in a quest to prove his worries – not seldom do these quests blind their hero and ruin what they claimed protection over.
               
                In his most righteous of moments, Othello never shed a tear.

    Our new vision of things, as negative and self-destructive as it is, is thus nevertheless naturally granted support by our natural bias for righteousness. Control steps in next to provide homogeneity to our new system. Uncertainties and exceptions only exist until we are able to define them into our new system. The perfect little system we seek is righteous, uniform, and secured within our authority. The last criterion is granted first: the system has no extensions beyond the forehead.

    And soon enough, the boxing champion will drop the belt and feel all the physical pain he’d put on hold. “Damn right I knew she was cheating on me!” will soon be replaced by the more scarring “I have no one”. No matter how good it felt to desert the friend who stood you up when needed, you’re still as miserable and lonely tonight. And eventually, the need for homogeneity in your conclusions and credibility in your judgment will inevitably distance you from your other comrades.

                        The vainest of glories are swept away with time

    Everyday, we sacrifice the kingdoms of life for the cheap shine of our narcissistic crowns. We accept no occurrences outside our control. No actions shall proceed independently of our concern. We weep not the death of a fellow soldier, but our failure to save him. We are kings of us. But when it all crashes down, the crown will break at the feet of our naked weakness: We’re helpless little nothings after all.

                                  Where’s your crown, king nothing?

   

© Copyright 2007 Nick (nick_met at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1198529-King-Nothing