*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202250-Fatum-Insignio-ch2
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #1202250
Mist continues on the road of danger.
                                                      Ch. 2
                                        An Unwelcome Warning



            She dashed off through the trees; the gentle rain had left a chilly blanket in the air that couldn’t be escaped and an unwelcome frost on the ground. All the blades of grass sparkled and the sun danced through the leaves bringing an odd gold shimmer to the hanging mist in the air. She slowed as she neared the big willow that grew next to the crackling spring; its shallow waters fought to run while the temperature ordered it to glass over. The willow wept, its branches spilling gently down its trunk and caressing its fingers over the water. The jewel blue waters burned her eyes as the light hit; it looked as if millions of tiny diamonds danced over the surface.

            She stopped as she reached the stream and put her muzzle into the icy water; she shiver as she, drank quickly and then went over to the tree. She made small circles until she finally felt comfortable and lay down against the large boulder covered in soft green mosses that rested under the willow. The wind whistle through the trees and her fur rippled, she hoped this weather would not persist much longer. A scent wafted on the breeze towards her nose; she sniffed, it was Reku; he slowly approached the spot where she lay. His light brown fur was slightly marred by patches of gray but his silver orbs glistened as always as he locked them onto her deep blue eyes.

          “Hello Mist,” he said in his usual soft voice that made him sound as if he was far off in the corners of his mind yet right there, caring about everything happening.
          “Hello Reku,” replied Mist. “The news was quite upsetting today, wasn’t it?”
          “Well, in my opinion, it was quite expected. Wouldn’t say that makes me like it anymore of course but the rumors we hear are always accurate unless there’s a bird involved. I expected it to be confirmed eventually…” he said quietly. “Ada and Ashyn are asking for permission to head to the Red Woods, the leaders are making there decision now,” he added. Mist looked up from her paws.
          “Do you think they’ll be able to make it there by themselves?” she inquired.
          “I don’t know, usually we would accompany them and we would all witness the birth of the pups. But with the present situation i doubt the pack can be heading in that direction, we need to stay here and join ranks. The Red Woods aren't too far from here, almost directly south of us, but we're closer to the Carpati Mountains and them the Transylvanian Alps,” Reku answered.
          “What about your thoughts of the news, I know it was expected but how do you feel about the he-wolf? What will we do?” asked Mist.
          “I only know that we must stand together, with our fellow brothers beside us we may be able to fight back,” said Reku.
            “I don’t want to be in a war. I just wish I knew why the he-wolf is doing this, it’s not right,” said Mist somberly.

        She looked back towards her paws and Reku lay down beside her. “I understand your feelings,” he said, placing his paw upon hers. A shiver of energy was sent through his spine, he pulled away. “What was that?” he grabbed her paw and turned it over. “What is that!?” he exclaimed.

        Mist stood up. “It’s nothing,” she said anxiously.
        “I’ve seen that mark before, or heard of it, it means something,” he said, his voice full of sudden thought and emotion. “Tell me where you got it,” he ordered.
        “I don’t know,” snapped Mist. “Just leave me be,” she said a bit less emphatically. She hadn't meant to get upset; she was just edgy from everything. The news, the atmosphere, her odd twinges of emotion and thought.
        “But I want to talk to you. What if it means something important?” replied Reku.
        “Just go, I need to think,” said Mist forcefully, her voice full of worry. Maybe Reku was right. When he suggested the mark may be important she had felt a twang; a twang of verity, and for some reason that worried her.
        “Fine,” said Reku sadly, he hadn't emant to upset her, her had just gotten startled. Mist watched as his body slowly dissapeared in the shade cast from the tall trees as he trotted off. The tip of his tail was swallowed by the darkness and she turned away. The sun had already started to go down and the trees were casting spidery shadows upon the snow.

          She looked across the little stream that was continuously slowing and had frozen considerably since she arrived. She saw the glint of nighttime eyes, then they dissapeared. A bird flew from a nearby tree letting out a quick squawk. Then she heard a branch break to her left, she spun around quickly. A tail flipped through the bushes, scarcely more then a little thought crept into her mind before the scent of a he-wolf hit her and one stepped out from between the trees, what is going on? She backed up, her foot touched the boulder behind her, she side-stepped it and placed her foot in the chilly stream beside it, her coat bristled rapidly.

        She inhaled, the wolf came closer. His silvery grey coat rippled. He had the appearance of a slightly starved but once lean wolf. His eyes were a penetrating seafoam green. “It’s okay, my name is Tier and I’ve come to help you,” he said in a strong and gentle voice.
          “Help me?” replied Mist, trying to keep her voice from wavering while being chilled and frightened.
          “Yes, and warn you,” he said, while walking forward.
          “How can I know that you are trustworthy?” inquired Mist.

          The new he-wolf inclined his head. “A just question for the land is full of foes and spies,” his eyes had a sense of honesty about them which made it almost impossible to not feel like you couldn’t trust him. “But you see my father knew your parents and-"
          "I don't remember my parents at all...I don't remember much of anything at all, actually," Mist said sadly looking up into the eyes of the new wolf.
          "I know, my dear, and I am sorry. But I have been looking for you, you are in grave danger. The black he-wolf of which all speak of is after you,” he said gravely.

          Mist’s head began to swirl. No, why her? He couldn’t be after her. She was just some female, what importance did she hold to him or any other for that matter? She quickly sat down as her head spun. “I understand this comes as a shock but the sooner it is realized then the sooner we can deal with it. You see, you must flee.”
© Copyright 2007 Nyx Muse (andalora91 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202250-Fatum-Insignio-ch2