*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1203478-Fatum-Insignio-ch-3
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #1203478
Mist continues her dangerous flight but not unaccompanied.
                                                    Ch. 3
                      Entangled Intentions and Separate Destinations




            “Flee?” repeated Reku as he stepped out from the bushes.
            “Ahh, I thought I smelled another wolf,” said Tier, a slight smile curling his lips.
            “So you did,” replied Reku, walking over to Mist and stopping slightly in front of her. “Now explain what all of this means,” demanded Reku, losing the sense of distance bliss in his voice. The sky had turned black and a purple hue crept up into the clouds and nestled down for the evening. Красивый волк; the beautiful wolf and all the other stars sparkled happily in the sky as if they weren’t aware of what was happening down below.

            “You say you want me to explain myself young wolf. I only have to explain myself to those who are included in this matter, and that would be Mist. You demand nothing of me,” replied Tier with a smirk, his eyes glinted in the moonlight. “You seem to think you are in this, you’re not, and your duty is to serve your pack,” said Tier forcefully.
          “Mist is my friend,” replied Reku. “Her troubles are mine. I seek nothing but the right to help her if need be, and if she must flee, well, undoubtedly that proves that she needs assistance,” said Reku and odd note was in his voice. “I care about her.”
          “So you do. Well I don’t know if more of us will be an advantage or disadvantage as we travel,” said Tier in a contemplating voice.
          “Travel!” exclaimed Reku. “You haven’t even explained what all this is about!” said Reku sounding slightly crazed.
          “Didn’t I already say that I wasn’t to keen on you accompanying us,” replied Tier somewhat exasperated. “It’d be left up to Mist and my careful consideration. You don’t seem to get what you coming might mean,” said Tier.
        “Well of course I don’t!” replied Reku, his voice rising hysterically. “You still haven’t explained.” Reku rounded on Mist, his eyes flashing. She had never seen him like this. “What do you think of this? Apparently I have no control of the matter but what of you?” he questioned.
“Well,” said Mist slowly, “I suppose I’d enjoy your company. I mean, a friend would be important to me and, well…” she continued moving her lips, forming inaudible words.
        “Well?” demanded Reku.
          Mist jumped. “Yes, yea, definitely, I’d like you to come,” she said flushing.
          Reku turned to Tier smiling. “Is that good enough for you?” he said.
          “Well, yes, but you must realize this trip will be dangerous. We will be followed,” Tier said quietly. “I suppose I should explain what I can,” he said looking up.
          “Yes. I’d be delighted or atleast pleased in an unfortunate sense to hear all about this little adventure we are about to go on,” said Reku with a faint laugh.

          The sky’s blackness was absolute, like a hole in the heavens, a gaping monsters mouth. All the stars seemed to have gone to sleep and the only light now came from the moon which was hanging in the sky bathing the trees with a soft light that made all of the wolves eyes sparkle. The leaves whispered from the gentle breeze that crept through the forest. Reku sat down beside Mist.

          “I suppose it all begins a while a few years ago, when I was just shy of a year old,” began Tier. “An evil he-wolf began a rampage, attacking all the packs of varg. His name was Slavel, he was ruthless and no one knew why he was doing what he was doing,” said Tier sadly. “One night he came and attacked the pack I lived in. My father was killed along with almost every other member of our pack. I ran far into the forest when he told me to and didn’t return for three days,” Tier continued. “When I did it was only to find them all dead including my father’s dead body lying mangled and being picked at by ravens. Then I left, I had to raise myself after that, I wandered, met many and heard much. Then one day I was talking to my friend Heista about the most recent activities Slavel when he mentioned a wolf, a white wolf which he was after. Well I made it my business to warn this wolf that she, for he said it was so, was in danger. Slavel will stop at nothing to get what he wants and for whatever reason he wants you so badly cannot be a good one,” said Tier, his face looked regretful. Mist shivered and Reku lay down wrapping his tail around her.
            “Well, there is more to this story of course which will be revealed in time, but right now I think you should go check up on your pack. Not you Mist,” said Tier as Mist rose. “I think Reku should go alone. If you go then you might not be able to leave, and I’d like to have a word with you,” said Tier.
            Reku eyed him suspiciously. “I’ll be back quickly,” said Reku looking into Mist’s eyes, he nodded and dashed off through the brush.



                                        *              *              *



         …“I hope that explains a few things for you, but I can’t tell you everything now,” said Tier gently. He glanced up from her paw, and Mist raised her head too, they heard wolves approaching. It was Reku and behind him walked Ada and Ashyn. What does that blasted wolf think he’s doing? thought Tier. He stood up quickly and spoke in a sharp whispery voice. “What is this? Bringing company when you weren’t even whole-heartedly invited?” inquired Tier. He looked roughly up and down the two new wolves.
              “Don’t sound so unwelcoming Tier, these varg are in need of help. Ada and Ashyn will soon be having pups and need to go to the Red Woods. I figured since it would be dangerous for them to travel alone we could atleast accompany them some part of the way since their sanctuary isn’t too far off our path.”
              “You figured?” replied Tier. “Well let me tell you, we owe them nothing and if I had it my way you wouldn’t be coming either. I see no reason why I should listen to you,” said Tier unkindly. “Call me heartless, but when I grew up I took care of myself. No one was there for me, I know it’s scarred me, but I can’t help it.” All of a sudden the anger in his voice turned to sadness. He choked back tears, you could hear it in his throat, but when he lifted his head his eyes were incredibly clear. “I’m sorry,” he said suddenly. Apologies rapidly flowed from his mouth including all my fault, bad times, never understand, only think of myself, and I’m sorry a few more times.
            “I would love for you to travel with us. We will provide safety for your unborn pups,” said Tier, attempting a smile.
            “Thank you,” said Ada, bowing her head slightly.
            “Yes, thank you. It is very kind when you owe nothing to us,” added Ashyn.
            “It is no problem at all,” replied Tier. “I think it’s time to rest for the night. We’ll need to have an early start tomorrow, before the sun is high in the sky. It will be cold but the sooner we start moving the better,” he said, situating himself beside a nearby elm.

          Ada and Ashyn curled under the dipping willow. The snow crunched quietly as the settled down and placed the muzzles upon each others paws. Their tails wrapped around one another and they closed there eyes with an expression of contentment about their faces. Tier glanced over at them and then switched his gaze towards Reku and Mist. Reku glanced at Mist awkwardly and then looked elsewhere quickly. Mist laid beside the boulder and gazed softly up towards where Reku was standing. He lay down beside her with a slight grin upon his face.

          “Goodnight everyone,” said Mist gently. The creatures in the woods were silent at this hour. The only sound was the steady ruffle made from the leaves shunted about by the breeze. The crackle of the river now absent by certain frosty conditions. Mist smiled as Reku’s tail was placed around her side, although the future looked eventful in an unenjoyable way, the immediate present looked good. 
© Copyright 2007 Nyx Muse (andalora91 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1203478-Fatum-Insignio-ch-3