*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1203644-Moving-to-FloridA
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Sample · Family · #1203644
Short account of my trip to Florida.
    I came to Puerto Rico in 1987.  A young mother, 20 years old who barely spoke Spanish.  I was going to met a father I barely knew and his family of whom I was very jealousy of.  They met me and my son Brian at the airport and my adventure began.  20 years later I now have a total of 5 kids plus a husband. The 20 years in between will have to wait for another story. 
    I am know a college graduate!  Sometimes I can't believe I actually went to college and graduate with honors while being a mom and in a language that I spoke horribly.  I am a teacher!  An honorable although lowly paid public servant.  I taught in private school for 5 years.  I taught Math even though my degree said I was certified to teach Language Arts.  At first I felt insecure and then I loved it.  I seemed to have been made to teach.  Am I a good teacher?  I would say that I am an average teacher but, my plans are to become a great teacher.  After 5 years working as a teacher I finally have a way to leave my exile, Puerto Rico.  Don't get me wrong Puerto Rico is beautiful.  It's complex culture grows on you, but life on the island is hard.  Work is scarce, the cost of living is high, and  crime and drug use is very high.  So when Volusia county came searching for teachers they found me. 
  I got a job at a small school.  A school that is both a middle school (for Anthony) and a high school (for John).  The only problem, my pride and joy, my first born doesn't want to come with us.  He refuses.  He feels that he has the ability to pull his own weight.  In my heart there is dread because I know he is not prepared for the twist and turns of adult life.  But then again was I prepared?  I know that I have to stand by and pray that the choices he makes in his life doesn't destroy his life or for that matter mine. 
  We are now here in Central Florida.  We've rented a home, have a mini van, and done all the little things that make a person a Floridian and yet there is a big piece of me still in Puerto Rico and his name is Brian. 
© Copyright 2007 queenludens (queenludens at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1203644-Moving-to-FloridA