*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1204071-The-Last-Wish
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest · #1204071
A priest expresses his final request. Entered in a Dialogue 500 contest based on a prompt.
Contest Co-Winner for "The Dialogue 500 (week of 01/17/07 to 01/21/07)
Prompt: A conversation between you and your priest...a confessional perhaps, but it doesn't have to be.
Word count: 374


"Don't cry, my darling."

"I'm not crying..."

"I truly hope you don't regret what we did. I certainly don't."

"I don't regret it. I...it's just that--"

"I know. I've asked for too much. But, I love you very much, and there's nothing I wouldn't do to prove that to you."

"Even if it means turning your back on God..."

"God turned his back on me when he made me wrong in His eyes."

"I love you, Vincent. But, it hurts me to hear you speak those words. It pains me to realize what I'd done to you."

"What you'd done is open my heart to what was missing from it. I thought that my faith was enough to fill the void. That a life of service in the name of the Lord would make me whole, despite my flaws. In the end, it is your love that truly completed me. Your love is my salvation. These last few hours that we spent in each other's arms, sharing our love--I wouldn't trade any minute of it. My love of God is a pale second to my love for you."

"Father Vincent..."

"Please do not call me that. Not in our last few moments together."

"In our last few moments? What are you talking about? Wh-What're you doing with that gun?!"

"My darling, the last few hours were the happiest I've ever felt in my life. I want those to be my last memory. Here..."

"I will not take that gun!"

"I cannot shoot myself. It would be a sin."

"We've already sinned against God!"

"My soul may already be condemned. And, if I were to die, I'd rather it be in the hands of my true love."

"I will not shoot you, Father!"

"You will shoot me! And, do not call me Father! Here, take the gun! Take it!"

"I can't! Don't make me do this, Father Vincent! Please, I beg of you!"

"If you truly love me, you will pull that trigger! Do you love me, my dear Gilbert?! Do you love me?!"

"Yes! I love you, but--"

"Do you love me?!"

"I love you!!"

"Then, pull the trigger, Gilbert, my love..."

"I...can't--"

"Pull the trigger!"

"No!"

"Pull the trigger!!"
© Copyright 2007 Sam N. Yago (jonsquared at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1204071-The-Last-Wish