*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1204617-Letter-From-Somme
Rated: ASR · Letter/Memo · War · #1204617
A letter written from the trenches of World War 1
Prompt: Write a letter from a soldier fighting far from home in 500 words or less.
_________________________

Letter 1 Image

         Long are my days and nights as I continue to struggle for survival in this bitter war. My hands tremble as I scribble this note to you on my lap, grimy and caked with mud and blood. It is a gruesome picture to paint for you, my love, but you told me never to hide anything from you, hence this harsh portrayal of my reality.

         The stench of gunpowder and smoke are inhaled daily, making my lungs weak and my breathing difficult. Yesterday, I coughed out a wad of blood, but was only given a bitter mixture of ground leaves and hot water as a remedy. I must admit that I feel better now, but I do not know how long it will last.

         Last week, my division was assigned to take over the small village of Serre, which was successful at first. However, the second party sent out did not fare as well, for you see, about a quarter of a mile in, an ambush awaited where we lost over 3,000 fine soldiers. Luckily, the 4th Division arrived to help our depleted troops and we managed to capture the German strongpoint known as Quadrilateral Redoubt. However, it pains me to say that it was a short lived victory, my love, for we suffered yet another German counter-attack which resulted in even more casualties.

         Our measly attempts to seize the mine were futile. The explosions gave our positions away and many of my comrades were mowed down like rag dolls across no-man’s land. I can still hear their screams of death, the howls of suffering as smoke stung my eyes and I fell to the muddy earth, praying that I would be spared from our grave mistake. It seemed to go on for hours, my love, but as you can see, I survived but at a bitter price.

         I have lost my comrades, men like me who only thought of their girls back home as I do of you everyday. The evenings are much quieter, the once deep trench littered with dirty soldiers filled with promise, now left with empty shells of our former selves. Hope vanishes with every sunrise, my love, and as the air grows thicker with the promise of mortar shells or rain, I only hope to see and live yet another day.

         They say the Americans will finally join us; that they will be the final blow to our enemies’ armor. I cannot help but feel a little resentful of them as they have let us suffer for this long. However, I pray that the news is true, for it means I shall be home with you soon, my love. I look forward to seeing your beautiful blue eyes and your hair as golden as the sun; to taste your lips and to feel your blessed warmth again.

         I have not forgotten my promise to you, dearest Meg, for when I do return, I will finally make you my wife.

Letter 2 Image



Word Count: 500 including 'images'

Note: Based off the real 'Battle of the Somme' which you can read about here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_day_on_the_Somme

© Copyright 2007 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1204617-Letter-From-Somme