*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205167-Catalyst
by Miara
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1205167
A cryptic reading means more than Karen can possibly imagine
"In your eyes dreams are fulfilled" Michael whispered.

“You’re full of crap,” Karen responded.

Michael laughed as he scooped up his rune stones. “Maybe so, but it’s a true reading.”

Karen sighed. “If it’s a true reading, what does it mean?”

“That, my friend is the problem with readings. I don’t know. The meaning will become clearer the longer you live with it.”

Karen stood up from the table and grabbed her jacket from the back of the chair. “I’ll keep that in mind,” she said as she plunged her arms into the sleeves. “My lunch break is over. I have to get back to work.” She snatched up her purse and left.

She smiled at the kid playing his guitar on the sidewalk. Their eyes met as she dropped a couple of quarters in his guitar case before she walked to the corner. As she entered her office building, she bumped a young woman in the lobby. Their eyes locked briefly as she mumbled an apology. She worked until the end of her shift, and went home. Michael’s reading never entered her mind again.

The following Sunday, while Michael worked a jig-saw puzzle, Karen sat down on her couch to read through the paper. In the back of the Local section was a picture of a pretty young woman. The announcement confirmed that she had gotten engaged “to the man of my dreams.” She looked up from the paper. “Michael, I think this woman works in my building,” she said angling the paper so he could see the engagement announcement.

“Cool. Congratulate her when you see her again,” he replied.

On the first page of the Entertainment section was a color photograph of a local guitarist. The accompanying story explained that he had been signed to do studio work for a local record company. “My dreams are coming true,” the caption under the photo quoted.

“I’ve seen this guy outside the café where we lunch,” Karen exclaimed.

This time Michael got up and joined her on the couch so he could read the story with her. “That’s pretty awesome,” he said. He returned to his puzzle with a knowing smile on his lips.
© Copyright 2007 Miara (codytrev at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205167-Catalyst