*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205716-Fatum-Insignio-ch-4
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #1205716
On the run from evil, Mist experiences her first lust, for blood that is..
                                                    Ch. 4
                                                Blood Lust





          “Wake up,” howled Tier. “It’s already 5’ am by the looks of the sky. We can’t dawdle. Time is of great importance nowadays,” he said, trying to rouse Reku and Mist.

        The skies orange tinge was adorned with pink at its horizon. The rest was a clear and chilly blue that was so bright it almost appeared to be glass. The trees were shrouded with fog despite the skies and mist hung about the moist grasses poking from the snow which was somewhat melted, or atleast possibly more so then last night. Or maybe it was just wanted to be so, so it appeared so but none the less it perked everyone up in some small way.

        “Why so early Tier?” yawned Reku, his canine’s glinting in the light.
        “Because I say so, and if you want to accompany us then you’d better get used to it,” replied Tier sharply.

         Reku jumped up. He wasn’t going to be wheedled of this trip so easily. Tier smirked. Ada and Ashyn were already awake sitting expectantly under the willow. Mist slowly stood. She shook herself, trying to wash away the mental and physical slowness she could feel about herself. She padded over towards the river and snuffed at the glassy surface, her small smile faded. She pushed on the surface and it cracked letting water rush up to the surface to breathe. Mist lapped up some chilly ice water and washed her face in the little pool collecting upon the refreezing circular indentation.

         She turned to face the others. Sparkling drops of water fell from her white fur. Reku stared at her, letting his eyes wander upon her gentle blue ones and her pure white coat, down her slender figure and beautiful features. She blushed helplessly and walked past slowly.

              “Where exactly are we heading anyway?” inquired Mist. “And when will we eat, I’m sure we are all quite hungry,” she added.
              “We can hunt as once we start our journey. I’m sure we’ll find some leera about and as for where we’re going, well, it’s more of an area then a location. I only know that it’s just north-west of the Red Woods and there are a few more somewhat specific details I know. We must to go see my old friend Helena; she has changed location since last I saw her but none the less we must find her. We will meet with her shortly after we find the trail to the Red Woods. That way no one unnecessary must join us and Ada and Ashyn will get to their destination quicker,” he nodded at the pair.

         The sun was finally high enough for its rays to be cast upon the forest floor, leaving a shadowy haze in the canopy, and a sparkling web of light above the ground. The air was crisp, in between the point of painful and refreshing.

            “We should start moving,” said Tier. He started forward, away from the past, away from everything they had all known except him. They all moved to follow. Ada glanced back; a tear fell from her eye, before she trotted off behind her mate. Mist followed her off through the trees, leaving Reku standing suspended between home, and the inevitable departure. He let out a low, sad howl, and left.



                                      *              *              *



          “Is food near?” questioned Ada. “My pads are sore and the puppies kick inside me. We need to eat and rest,” she stated, worriedly.
          “I smell deer ahead; we should be upon them within the hour. Do not worry,” replied Tier kindly.

            It was now early afternoon. The sun sparkled through the trees that were now changing with the landscape. There were tall evergreens and fat spruces. The ground was cold and hard, and large patches of grass spotted the snow, rising up towards the sunshine. Everything was blurred by bright rays that begin right after the initial darkness of the morn has passed and the burning clearness of a late winter sky rises. Birds called to each other through the trees. Squirrels ran about trying to find leftover nuts from the winter storage. These creatures seemed happier than farther north, unknowing of the opposing threat. Slavel would stop at nothing to get to Mist; he would run the distance and fight the rebels standing in his way.

          They were following the small spring that ran from the river near the valley they had lived in. Only some of its parts were unfrozen, and there crystal clear water trickled over the smooth stones at its bottom. They had already covered a distance to be proud of. None of them quite knew where they were, apart from Tier. It wasn’t as chilly in this part of the land compared to the valley in Zalau that they lived in. It seemed as if the farther away from their enemy they were, the nicer the world was. But it was no reason to feel secure; any thoughts like that would be foolish. Distance can only last for so long and varg without experience of constant travel could never outrun Slavel and his followers.

          The trees were less dense here, leaving the sun free to bathe the wolves with a happy glow, too happy for these kinds of times. Ada’s silver and black coat shimmered in the dancing light and her light green - grey slivered eyes glinted softly. Ashyn surveyed his mate with his golden, caring eyes. His gold and red streaked coat shone as bright as any precious metal in the sunshine, and rippled as his lean muscles flexed beneath it. The scent of deer tickled his nose before he realized that Tier had already stopped.

          “Look through the trees, there are deer ahead,” whispered Tier. Reku and Mist traced his gaze through the brush. A group of seven deer stood about seventy yards ahead of them. They were eating the frosty grass sticking up from the ground. Three were bucks and the other four, does. All were standing but one, it looked sickly. Her hair was scuffed and falling out. It had an unhealthy tinge of grey about the normal brown, looking as if she was wearing a dirty smock. This was the one they would take.
        “We must be swift and work together. Ada, you and Ashyn may stay here. We don’t need more then three of us,” said Tier in hushed tones. “Mist, you should go over towards the left and Reku, come from the right. I’ll sneak towards the front. Drive her to me,” said Tier. “You may aid in the take down,” he added.

         Mist and Reku edged off towards their sides, slipping silently through the trees. Tier arched out in a half circle keeping a wide distance between him and the leera until he was directly in front of them by about eight yards. He slunk down into the underbrush, flattening his body against the forest floor. The deer lifted their heads slightly, adjusting their ears. They seemed to sense the surrounding enemies. After a moment of silence the deer went back to their snack. Tier silently lifted his head and glanced to each side, he nodded.

         Reku and Mist simultaneously leapt from their hiding places and sprinted toward their prey. Tier still stayed down, unmoving. The deer bolted; there was a mad fright in their eyes. Three bucks and three does darted towards the left, and were quickly out of sight. The weak female had just stood and taken a few hurried steps when Tier rose.
              His sudden presence made her press forward in a trot. There was no escape for this deer; it was as they had planned. As Mist and Reku neared the lone leera, Tier broke into a long and quickened stride. Small twigs flew up from the dirt beneath him as he gained speed in an all out run. Tier was before the deer; he jumped and sank his claws into its haunches. She screamed in fright, lifting her head to the sky. Mist reached the struggling deer and dug her claws into her, as the scent of blood rushed up to her nose. She could smell the warm liquid flowing beneath the hair of the doe. Its heartbeat was slowing down. She lowed her muzzle to the prey: a frenzied delight was raging in her brain. She bit into the deer and warm blood gurgled up from the wound, seeping into her open jaws. The crimson liquid washed over her sparkling white teeth and licked her tongue.

          The deers knees shook and she sank to the ground. Her breath came in great, heaving, gasps. The fright had left her eyes and she was now accepting fate. Better to die in the worthy jaws of a wolf then through a suffering sickness. Mist saw Reku bite into the deer across from her. Blood was already staining his muzzle luxuriously. A fierce anger bubbled up inside her; this was her kill. She ripped her teeth from the leera as its eyes rolled up towards the sky, revealing a yellowy-white retina. Her lip curled upwards, as a deep growl came from her throat. Reku lifted his head from the blood streaked and lifeless body of the deer. Warm blood dripped from his lips, and his eyes looked frightfully excited. He paired her with a low snarl. They were circling the torn corpse, eyes locked onto one another’s. Suddenly Mist threw herself at Reku, attempting to rip out his throat. Reku raised a paw to swipe at her face and scratched down her back as she made contact with his left shoulder. The force of his paw knocked her to the ground where she lay quite breathless for a moment. Reku stood there, dazed by their actions.

          Mist shook her head. It was like coming out of a spell, although she had never done so. She felt suddenly tired. She raised herself off the cold, hard forest floor. She staggered slightly upon what seemed to be a great weight on her feet. “I’m…I’m sorry,” she breathed. “I…I don’t know what came over me,” she added, quietly.

            “The Blood Lust,” offered Tier, who had been silently watching the sudden fight. “When a wolf has tasted blood shed, a wild craze comes over them; almost instantaneously they will be willing to die for the kill. Even if it is not their own,” added Tier. “It is a sad curse for few know how to escape it. I only recently acquired the ability myself,” he said somberly.
            “Why didn’t you stop us!?” questioned Reku, slightly angered. It was his first time speaking since the incident.
            “Because, it is a most dangerous thing to get in between two varg under Blood Lust, I might possibly have been slain,” said Tier defensively. He looked over as Ada and Ashyn quickly approached them.
            “What happened?” asked Ashyn. “We saw you two fighting,” he said, looking at Mist and Reku. They hung their heads guilty.
            “The Blood Lust, It was upon them and they went for each other,” said Tier sadly. Ada and Ashyn just lowered their eyes slightly, averting them from the guilty. No one could be to blame in this situation. A drop of hot liquid fell upon Mist’s paw. At first she thought she was crying, but then when she looked she realized it was blood. The cut Reku had given her when she attacked was bleeding afresh; it speckled the snow, painting it red. She whined softly as the pain crept into her. Hitting her powerfully after the guilt ebbed away. Reku pricked up his ears, hearing her sad notes.

            “She’s hurt,” he said worriedly.
            “It’s just a scratch,” retorted Mist, arrogantly. She would not let her stupidity cause them troubles.
            “You're bleeding, you need something to help you,” rebutted Reku.
            “I’m fine,” she said defiantly. She would not let her foolishness cause them strife!

         Reku opened his mouth to continue the argument but Tier hushed their petty fight with a sharp glance. He and the pair went over to feed upon the deer carcass. Mist and Reku looked away; neither was in any hurry to have a reoccurrence of what happened. Tier raised his head when they didn’t join them to feed. What fools, he thought, seeing them refusing to eat.

        “Don’t be silly, the Blood Lust won’t occur again so soon, and there are still precautions you can take to prevent it. Come eat,” he demanded. Mist and Reku slowly padded over, refusing to look at anyone. They silently put their heads down and ate the lean meat. It was less tempting now that the air had cooled it. Wolves weren’t like scavengers who would eat anything, they liked to make the kill and eat it fresh. It seemed like there would be no eating order in this group, nor any named leader. It felt like a reprieve, to eat, after what happened but they knew they would need the food. No one knew where the next meal might be found and if it would be killed so easily. And Mist and Reku certainly weren’t very eager to do the killing either…
© Copyright 2007 Nyx Muse (andalora91 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1205716-Fatum-Insignio-ch-4