*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1206094-Lessons-Learned
Rated: ASR · Essay · Philosophy · #1206094
An analytical composition of: A Lesson Before Dying


         Even in today’s society, many people find themselves the victims of prejudice feelings. However, it is sometimes through discrimination that one can learn valuable lessons about oneself. In Ernest J. Gaines’ A Lesson Before Dying, two key characters, Jefferson and Grant, discover deeper feelings within themselves through the narrow-mindedness of citizens in there community. By looking at these characters, we can observe common challenges faced by people everyday; this is important because it gives the reader a chance to connect with the story.
         We can see Jefferson as a representation of someone who believes his role in society is insignificant. When Jefferson’s lawyer defends him by relating him to a hog, Jefferson becomes infatuated with the possibility that he really is no better than a pig. However, Jefferson realizes that the people of the community really do care about him. At one point Grant brings his entire class to visit Jefferson in jail, and then most everybody from the quarter. Two of the people who visited Jefferson were Miss Rita Lawrence and her grandson Bok, and Bok gave Jefferson one of his prized marbles. Jefferson recorded in his diary how much it meant to him to have people who thought about him, “i was cryin cause of bok an the marble he giv me and cause o the peple com to see me cause they hadn never done nothing lik that for me befor” (Gaines 231). When Jefferson walks to his execution with the dignity of a man, he becomes an icon to his community. He shows that even one who is poor and uneducated can be looked upon as a hero.
         Grant Wiggins is someone who tries to keep his own feelings bottled up inside himself. He tells Jefferson what a hero is, and that everyone expects Grant to be one though he does not believe it. “‘I could never be a hero. I teach, but I don’t like teaching. I teach because it is the only thing that an educated black man can do in the South today.’” (Gaines 191). Even though Grant is educated, white people still treat him like second class. This annoys him but he does not say or do anything, and withdraws into himself. He does not believe he can help those in his community so he refuses to show care to them. “I felt like crying, but I refused to cry. No, I would not cry. There were too many more who would end up as he did. I could not cry for all of them, could I?” (Gaines 249). By the end of the narrative, Grant realizes that he can make an influence in society. His crying shows that he becomes conscious of his humanity and like everyone else, he is not perfect. Grant demonstrates that one does not have to be what people expect them to be.
         Readers can connect with Jefferson and Grant in this work of fiction through their challenges. Jefferson’s character lets one see that one can be more than what others say he or she is. While Grant verifies the fact, that no individual is required to meet the expectations of an idol. Moreover, these characters each learn that one can only be whom he or she is, regardless of what others think.


Bibliography

Gaines, Ernest J. A Lesson Before Dying. New York; Random House, 1993.
© Copyright 2007 Phoenyx, risen from the ashes (spiritashes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1206094-Lessons-Learned