*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207895-Brownish---Greenish-Stuff
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by ladyd
Rated: E · Monologue · Family · #1207895
Not a few of Mom's favorites things
Brownish stuff, greenish stuff, brownish-greenish stuff, casserole types, mixed together types, meats, particularly beef, but also some ground turkey dishes, chop suey dishes with beef and brown sauce, pasta dishes, rice ishes, fish, unless finely chopped, most legume dishes, ham, unless finely chopped

These are not a few of mom's favorite things!

It has been very frustrating this past year to try and find meals that she can or will eat. They must have the right texture for her to chew. She practically liquifies everything she eats! Takes her at least 2 hours to eat a meal. I tell her the first bite is already digested before she gets to the second bite! Her meals have to have some visual appeal as well, colors are important.

Taste does not matter, she can not taste. Smell does not matter, she cannot smell. It's all about texture and color. She may have a little sensation towards spices, but you can't spice food up to much it could cause her to cough or choke. She used to use salt all the time on her food, I think she could 'feel' that taste in her mouth. But I don't use much salt on her food anymore, it is not good for her to have to much.

I have spent hours coming up with simple meals for mom that she can chew, that are nutritious and have color appeal. I have searched books and websites for recipes that I could use. Nothing ever fits all the 'rules' for her meals. Rarely can I prepare a meal for my husband and myself and mom. I usually have to do 2 separate meals. I decided instead of trying to find different meals all the time, because I was bored fixing the same stuff over and over, that I would just put together menus of what I knew she would and could eat and keep it simple for me. It doesn't matter to her what she eats as long as she can chew it and it looks good.

So, it helps with the meal planning to do that, but I wish there were more meals that I could fix that all three of us could eat. Thought about asking the help of some famous cooks, maybe they can come up with something. Any ideas out there that might help?

Just no brownish greenish stuff!

© Copyright 2007 ladyd (ladyd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1207895-Brownish---Greenish-Stuff