*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209378-Chapter-01---The-Crime
by STUFF
Rated: E · Chapter · Detective · #1209378
This was largely inspired by Kevin Mitnick's book "The Art of Deception"
Chapter 01
The Crime
(Thursday)
      I was ready to do this, I'd been going over it in my head since Sunday and the little voice in my head said that I couldn't be more prepared than I was right now.  All I had to pull this off was some leftover money from my night at the bars and a prepaid cell phone under an assumed name.  The only aces up my sleeves are that I'm female and the people I'd be taking advantage of weren't expecting me.  A phone book gave me the number for HatchTech, an international company with a good reputation.
      Here it goes.  507-933-4267 *ring *ring “Hello, thank you for calling HatchTech.”  It was the automated voice system.  “ If you know the extension of the party you're trying to reach please enter it now.”  When in doubt I mash the zero or pound key until I get an operator.  After a few seconds of mashing pounds and zeros I got a human.
      “HatchTech, can you hold please?”  Very pert and business like. 
      “Yes, thank you.”  I didn't mean to say thank you, but I didn't have my head on straight, I took the time to compose myself.
      “Thank you for holding, how may I help you?”
      “My name is Jenny Perkins, could you please direct my call to personnel?”  I was scared but I hoped that I just came off as hurried.  I suppose I didn't need to give my name either.
      “One moment please and I'll direct your call.”  This lady was very professional and obviously too busy to care one iota about my tone.
      My beating heart and the hold music were a cacophony in both of my ears.  Finally someone picked up.  “Hello, Darren here.”
      “Hi Darren.”  I pitched my voice like an middle aged woman and sneered a bit.  “This is Tina Allman from advertising.”  I paused for him.
      A bit apprehensively, “What can I do for you?”
      “Yeah, Kenneth Ruthers is transferring to my department and I'd like to see his resume and hire forms.”  Poor Darren must think I'm a total bitch with the menial tone I was using.
      “Sorry, those are not publicly available.”  He was using a professional tone, in other words he didn't like me much.
      “Oh that's okay, I just need you to recite a few things from them anyway.”  Recite is a command word most people resent being told to do because reciting is something a trained animal does.
      “I'm sorry, I can't do that.”
      “It'll just be a few minutes, I promise.”  My sickly sweet voice was disturbing if I do say so myself, I pushed that thought to the back of my head.  “Do you have the records in front of you?”
      “Employee hire forms and resumes are not available, all I can give you are his hire and fire dates.”  This is true when someone calls from outside the company.
      I turned my voice icy.  Darren didn't like me and I planned on that, he'd want to end this call as quickly as possible, so I spoke quickly in a mockery of his professional tone.  “Darren, this is HatchTech's advertising department.  Kenneth isn't going to another company, he's staying with HatchTech.  Now I need you to scoot over to his file and get me the info I need.”  He would know that I thought I was above him and that a few words to his supervisor would have him in hot water.
      There was a brief pause then, “Can you spell his name for me?”  My heart hit my shoes, he bought it.
      With a much more casual voice than I intended I replied “R-U-T-H-E-R-S.  First name Kenneth.”
      “Okay, which office do I send it to?”
      “Actually I need it faxed to me.”  There was a pause, Darren was hesitating.  “Can you do that for me?”  I wasn't so much asking a question as much as I was telling him I would continue to make this phone call miserable unless he complied.
      Darren sighed audibly into the phone, probably for me to hear.  “What's the number?”
      “5-0-7-5-7-3-4-7-8-2”
      “All right, that'll get there in a few minutes.”
      “Goodbye Darren.”
      “Bye.”
      My knees were so weak and I don't think I could have walked.  I had pulled off the first part.  I now had some information on Kenneth Ruthers.  I took my car to the Kinkos across town, where my fax waited.  The guy behind the counter didn't bat an eye as I paid in cash for this resume and official looking fax with HatchTech logos on every page.  I couldn't believe my luck as I got into my car.  Everything was there, even Kenneth's social security number which would undoubtedly come in useful.  It was getting late and tomorrow I would be putting the next phase of my plan into effect.
(Friday)
      I started in the morning today by calling the main office again.  507-933-4267 *ring *ring.  The sound of zero and pound mashing followed by *ring *ring “Hello, HatchTech how may I help you?”  It was the same receptionist and she sounded much more relaxed now.
      “Could you connect me to personnel please?”
      “Certainly, please hold.”
      The hold music was merely annoying today while my heart only a dull roar.
      “Hello, Darren here.”  It was the same guy, this was a mixed blessing.
      “Darren hi, my name is Helen Wethers.  I'm calling from the advertising department, could I get you to send me the current employment records of Kenneth Ruthers?”  I used my voice much differently today, I sounded much more pleasant and friendly today, he should not confuse me with Tina Allman.
      “Advertising called yesterday, right?”  Darren sounded suspicious.
      “Right, Tina called and got his hire forms I need his information to the present.”  Using a name he'd already heard probably helped me exponentially while coming off as a much nicer person made him much more likely to help me out.
      “I don't know exactly what you mean.”
      “You know, his office location, phone number, contact information that sort of thing.”
      “Can you verify for that with the last four digits of his social?”  Of course I could, he'd given it to me earlier on the hire forms.
      “Of course, it's 7588”
      “Righto, I can fax that right off if that's okay.”  It was going better than expected and since he was so willing to fax it I didn't need give him the other fax number I had prepared just in case.
      “That'd be wonderful, do you need the number?”
      “Umm, yes please.”  Darren seemed to enjoy the friendly manner I was using and would never suspect we had spoken the previous day.
      “Okay, it's  5-0-7-5-7-3-4-7-8-2.  Got that?”
      “Yup.  I'll have that fax to you in a few minutes.”
      “Thanks Darren, have a good day.”  My day was certainly going as planned.
      Another trip to Kinkos and I had all the professional information about Kenneth Ruthers anyone could ever hope to acquire.  I was out of all my extra bar money though.
      When I got back home I looked all the information in front of me, it was amazing and scary just how close HatchTech watched their employees and kept such close tabs.  They had records of everything from his supervisor's name and number to which computer model and office chair he was issued.  His extension number was my next target along with Kenneth himself.
      Calling Kenneth would be the most crucial call of all.  If I screwed up this phone call or he saw through my ruse I would have to rethink my entire attack and he would be expecting me.  I crossed my fingers and hoped he'd be in his office.
      507-933-4267 *ring *ring "Hello..." The automated voice 514
      “Ken, shipping manager here.”  I was positive this was the guy from the bar. 
            Here it goes.“Mr. Ruthers, this is Mackenzie Bethan, I just need a few minutes of your time for a mandatory survey.”
      “What's this survey?”  He sounded apprehensive but using his name probably belayed that a bit.
      “I'm with the security agency hired by HatchTech and we're conducting a survey on certain employees, as I mentioned this will take a few minutes.”
      “Okay, please be quick.”
      “No problem sir.  I hope you've read this month's security memo which outlined the policy for making making secure passwords.  Does your password comply with the new company policy?”
      “Security memo?  I don't know if it does.”  For a split second I entertained the notion that there might have actually been a memo like that, it's possible in big companies like this.
      “Yes sir.  The memo outlines seven critical points that every user must follow when creating their password.  Does your password meet this criteria?”
      “I don't know.  Can we move this along?”
      “Sir, you must realize that it's important that HatchTech show 100 percent compliance with this new policy.  It's very important.”  From my tone of bored disinterest I made it clear that I would read this memo word for word if need be.  He needn't know that it only existed in my apartment.  “Would you like me to recite for you the seven critical points for password creation?”
      “I haven't really got time for this, could I take this survey another time?”  Kenneth was looking for an out, as I had hoped.
      “The questionnaire is only three questions long but I am required to make sure there is 100 percent compliance with each call recipient.  I would be happy to help you make a new password.”  I added sounding almost conciliatory “It'll speed things up I'm sure.”
      “That'd be great.”
      “Don't use any noun, don't use common words that can be found in a dictionary, don't use all lower case or all upper case letters, mix letters and numbers...”
      “Okay okay, how about lower case 'g', upper case 'L', five, nine, lower case 'h' '58'?”
      He was pulling this out of thin air but it was a good password, which I had of course written down verbatim.  Without missing a beat “That will work perfectly.  Question two is about the security of your password.  I need to make sure you will not be giving this password to any family member or friend, can you comply?”
      “Yes.”
      “And finally I need to be sure that you are familiar with the proper procedures for computer repair should the need arise.”
      “I don't know.  I just call the repair guys and they come and look at it.”
      “Could you please clarify who you call?”
      “Uh, the on-site computer repair center.  You know, the I-T guys.”
      “Okay, that seems to be in order, thank you for your cooperation in making HatchTech safe and secure.”  And giving out your password and repair policy.
      “Bye.”  We hung up and I collapsed into my chair, everything had gone off as well as I had hoped.  I had hoped that HatchTech used an off-site computer repair agency, but I could make this work too.
      Another call to the switchboard.  507-933-4267 *ring *ring *zero *zero *pound *pound  “Hello, thank you for calling HatchTech.”
      “Could you connect me to the IT department.”
      “One moment please.”
      “IT services, this is Terry, how can I help you?”
      “Hi Terry, this is Beth Cordry.  Is this where I call if I'm having phone and computer problems?”  This was my flirtiest voice.
      “What kind of problem are you having?”  The flirting had his attention.
      “Well one is phone related and the other is computer related.  Could you call my cell, I need to see if it rings or what.”
      “Uh, okay.  What's you number?”
      “Are you being fresh?  Just kidding, it's 507-933-4420.  I'm gonna hang up and you call that number; k?”
      “Sure.”  We hung up and within a minute my phone rang, my caller ID showed HatchTech's phone number and Terry probably trusted me.
      “Hello” I answered.
      “Hello, this is Terry.”
      “Oh good, I don't think there's a problem there.  My other request is...”  I paused a moment.  “Can I call you right back?”
      “Uh, sure.”
      “Okay.”  I sounded urgent.  “I gotta do a thing for my boss but I'll call you right back.”  I made tea.
      After preparing my tea just the way I like it I dialed the IT number and Terry answered.  “IT services, this is Terry, how can I help you?”
      “Hi Terry, it's Beth here again.  Something came up here, I'm gonna call back tomorrow, are you working tomorrow?”
      “Yeah, I'll be here tomorrow.”  I'd bet dimes to dollars that Kenneth wouldn't be working on a Saturday.  Even if Terry wasn't working I could call IT directly now.
      “Okay, I'll call you back tomorrow, buh bye.”  If I didn't know better I'd say Terry had a chance.
(Saturday)
      I redialed the last number and asked to be transferred to IT services.  “Terry, it's Beth again.  I called yesterday.”
      “Hi Beth, no big weekend plans I see.”
      “No, no weekend plans yet.  I just started see and I've barely had time for sleep.  You probably know how that goes huh?”
      “Oh yeah, IT gets scheduled for the worst shifts lemme tell ya.  I've known a guy here who worked 20 straight hours.  He pooled all his lunch breaks and took a two hour nap in the break room.”
      That was actually kinda funny.  “Whoa, I don't envy that guy.”  There was a brief awkward silence between strangers.  “Well Terry I'm kinda frustrated with this machine and my boss is out.  Every time I try to log into the terminal I'm being trained on I get error messages.”
      “What kind of error messages?”
      “The kind of messages that say I need to restart in safe mode no matter what.”
      “Yeah, that's a bit of a problem.  Which terminal are you on?”
      “514.”  Thank goodness I had Kenneth's employee forms handy.
      “Let's see here.”  Terry rattled a few keys on his end.  “514 is off right now.”
      “I didn't know what else to do.  I didn't want to mess things up further.”
      This is where I was afraid things would get sticky, over the phone trouble shooting when I was several miles from the terminal I claimed to be sitting at.
      “Okay Beth, I need you to turn on the machine.”
      “The power button isn't working.  What would cause that?”
“Could be a faulty switch or something else.  Is the computer plugged in?”
“Yes, I checked that.  Terry, could I ask you a huge favor?  Could you come to the cubicle and take a look at the machine?  I'm in cubicle...oh it's the same number as the computer terminal?”
“Uh yeah, I'd be happy to come take a look.”  He was snared completely.
      “Okay, I've got training I've got to attend for about an hour in another part of the building.  I've been training with Kenneth Ruthers so that's the cubicle where the computer is.”
      Terry obviously wanted to meet the person who'd been flirting with him but it couldn't be helped.  “Oh, okay.”  Terry tapped a few more computer keys.  “I'll be able to take care of that in a few minutes.  Will you still be there?”
      “No sorry.  But you have my phone number that'll be with me, call me as soon as you can okay?”
      “Will do, is there anything else?”  I would be smart to stay on his special list.
      “Terry you've been such a dear.  Thank you.” 
      “Not a problem Beth.  Bye.”
      “Bye Terry.”
      I wanted some lunch.  While I cooked some instant noodles I arranged the Kenneth papers covering my coffee table even though they didn't need it.  I can be a bit compulsive at times when I'm stressed.  It was only about ten minutes later when my phone rang.  It could only be Terry, he was the only one who knew this number.
      “Hello, this is Beth Cordry's phone.”
      “Hi, it's Terry with IT.”
      “Terry, my that was fast.  What's wrong with that computer?”
      “I haven't seen anything yet, but I forgot to get the password from you.”
      “It's actually Kenneth's password.  Like I said, he's training me so I'm using his.”
      “I figured, his user name is the only one in the system.  Can I get his password then?”
      Under my breath I snickered thinking what a breech of security it would be to give someone I've never seen a secure password, but I didn't delay in reciting what Kenneth had told me yesterday.  “Yeah, it's little 'g' as in guy, big 'L' as in large, five, nine, little 'h', five then eight.”
      I held my breath, what if Kenneth refused to change his password.  What if he used another password or just forgot he was going to do it.
      “Beth, I guess I didn't even have to call you.  It's written on a sticky note on the monitor, I should have tried that.  Sorry to have bothered you.”
      “Not at all Terry.  I completely forgot I left that note for you.  Any problems yet?”
      “No, nothing yet.  It's finished loading up and I didn't see any errors.  What did you say it did last time?”
      “Well I got errors saying that it needed to start in safe mode and when I was on the phone with you it refused to turn on at all.  I don't suppose you could test it out in the shop for me?”  I hope they had a shop.  Normally this wouldn't be necessary but I had an ace to play.  “If that's possible I could come and pick it up in an hour or so.”
      “Hmm, uh...” Hook line and sinker.  “Sure, that'd be cool.”  Smooth Terry.
      “Wonderful!  I owe you a big one Terry.”
      “It's no big deal.  Wanna drop by about 2:00?”
      “That'd be just perfect.  Where is the IT in relation to the front doors?”
      “When you come in, just stay to the right of the receptionist's desk, then the first elevator up to the third floor, you'll see signs up there.”
      “Thanks again, don't hesitate to call again.”
      “See you soon.”  All according to plan.
      I had until 2:00 to prepare myself into looking like an up and coming business lady, a far cry from a college girl in sweat pants and piggy slippers.  Having short hair doesn't allow for that many hair styling options unless you own wigs.  My natural color is dirty blond or light brown, I would be wearing a black wig with thick rimmed glasses and use makeup sparingly.  I had a professional looking white shirt with a collar nicely accented by a black vest.  Black pumps with pin striped pants and I had an ensemble that projected exactly what I wanted Terry to see.
      I left my apartment carrying a smart looking briefcase and myself, smartly.  The briefcase was filled with old newspapers and I was filled with nervous energy.
      Employee parking for HatchTech was behind the building, but I parked two blocks away and walked the rest of the way.  I walked past the receptionist's desk and towards the elevator.  I was sure to look like I belonged there.  On the third floor I followed the signs to IT services.  There was a counter but no one behind it.  I sidled up to it praying that a security guard didn't jump out and handcuff me.
      A little ways back I spotted a man in his mid twenties, which is about how old Terry sounded to me.  He noticed me and raised a hopeful eyebrow.  “Beth?”
      There was not a threatening look to him at all.  “Terry.  What did you find out?      ”  I asked peeking over the counter and taking in every inch of the IT center.
      “Well, I couldn't find anything wrong whatsoever.  I tested the power switch and the on button, both are okay.  The log on worked fine with the password you gave me and I've had it running for the last hour with no problems.”
      “I just feel kinda dumb ya know.  I'm not bad with computers really but, well you get the idea.”
      “I'll get it all ready for you, gimme just a sec.”
      “Could you hold for a minute?”
      “What's that?”
      “Are you hooked up the the network with that computer right now?”
      “Yeah, it's hooked up.”
      “Could we test the network before I go?  Will that take long?”
      “No, it'll just take me a second.”
      “Can I watch just in case.”
      “Sure, come on in.  The door is just to your left.”
      I walked into the IT center and the full force of my scam hit me.  I was in the IT center being helped break into the company's network by a specialist.
      “All right” I said “work your magic.”
      Terry did his work methodically, I respected that.  “Yup, there are all the network drives, really easy.”
      “Can I see it for a second?”
      “Sure, be my guest.”
      He was gentlemanly enough to give me enough room to pull up a chair but close.  “Oh, if I could just remember which drive had the information I was supposed to be getting...about three hours ago.”
      Proving himself to be most helpful Terry recommended “try drive 'H' that's the company project server.”  I tried it as he said and there were a dozen options all with cryptic folder names.  Faking confidence I ventured to download the entire contents of the first two folders when Terry interrupted “Do you need all the project directories?”  He was getting suspicious and for good reason.
      “No of course not, I just couldn't remember the last three digits of the directory I need and I'm sure it's one of these three.  I'll just delete the ones I don't need when I get back, better safe than sorry right?”  I said with a disarming laugh.
      “Okay, now I need the shipping records, any idea which server those are on.”  I really hoped I wasn't exposing my raging ignorance of this computer system.
      Terry chuckled a bit, at my expense I'm sure.  “Try drive 'N', the shipping server.  It's the last one because it's international.”
      My laughing with Terry accompanied putting my hand on his shoulder, he looked at it in wonderment.  “Of course.  Did you ever have a day when you leave your brain in your other pocket?”
      “I work in IT, it's the general feeling here.”
      This server contained only one directory which I began downloading in its entirety.  This was what I had come for.  Time to play it smooth.  “Terry I want to thank you for being such a doll.  I'm probably a full day behind where I'm supposed to be, but I would have been a week behind without your help.”  I nodded for him to make the next move.
      “Wellwudjalemmetakeyowtsumtime?”  His forehead glistened with nervous sweat.
      I looked at my hands on my lap.  I was as nervous as he was but for a different reason.  “Why don't you give me a call this Wednesday?  You've already got my cell.”  I winked at Terry.  I've always wanted to wink at a guy like that.
      “Cool cool cool.  That'd be awesome.  You'll definitely hear from me.” 
      The files were on the computer and I shut it down.  Terry helped me unhook everything.  I picked up the computer.  “Thanks Terry, I'll talk to you Wednesday.”
      “Will do, bye Beth.”
      I walked out of the IT center with my briefcase balanced on top of the computer in my arms.  It crossed my mind that Kenneth should have gotten a laptop instead, that'd be easier to carry.  The elevator carried me to the lobby where I walked out of the building like I had just popped by to grab this computer and that was all. 
      A block from my car I pulled out my cell phone and took off the battery which I put into a nearby trash can along with the newspapers from my briefcase.  At my car I put the phone itself an inch in front of the tire where I would be sure to crush it.  With the computer safely in my backseat I pulled out and heard the crunch underneath my wheel.  Back to the apartment to sort through all this data and the next phase of my plan.
© Copyright 2007 STUFF (stuff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209378-Chapter-01---The-Crime