*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209490-Mock-Epic
by Fate
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #1209490
A Battle of wills is tearing apart the seams of reality
                              A not so traditional Epic story
                                          Prologue

      It was 1650 in Larkwood, England and a man found himself at the edge of the world. Slowly, as he grabbed the solid railing, his mind, like a fragile glass sphere, shattered. He was broken inside, and left staring off into the thousands of pieces of his dreams.
          After awhile a newcomer walked along. This newcomer was an average man wearing all the clothes of a typical tourist, he had very plain facial features, and nothing about him would make him stand out from the crowd, except perhaps, for being too normal. Putting a quarter into one of the telescopes fastened onto the brass railing, he looked off it into the vast expanse of the universe. Yet, the newcomer could tell that something was aloof in the air. He could feel a mild sensation overwhelming his entire being, which seemed to be coming from the man, who was wearing the facial expressions of one who had lost all hope, standing to his left.
        “Hey, are you all right?” the newcomer inquired,
        “Yes" he replied, paused for a second then continued in a more distracted manner. "except, when I left this morning I was sure I was right, but now I’m wrong” replied the man.
        “About what?” 
        “Well this morning I was certain the Earth was round, and it proved hundreds of my theories right” The man paused for a moment then continued. “My theory of universal gravitation for example, I mean if the world is a disc, on the edge we would be so far away from the center of gravity that we could just fall off.”
        The newcomer began to ponder this idea. It had been simple his whole life, the world had always been flat, and to think that someone bet his last marbles on it being round was insanity. Suddenly though, that sensation he had experienced earlier came back.
        “I’m not so sure”
        “Well, since science as we know it is no more real than this block of stone that were standing on, and as time progresses something new and better will come along, and this stone block will be replaced, it’s not like were ever really going to know anything for certain…I just feel stupid that I spent all week arguing with my friend that I was right” At that the young man headed off toward the city.
        After having thought on what this man said, the newcomer made an absurd decision, yet to him it made perfect sense.  He stepped up to the rail, and as the burden of reality and his own weight started to leave him, he began to float away.
     
      -What if the very world we live in now, was subject to changes in reality? What if fantasy became real, and everything real became meer fantasy? what if true knowledge was no more the hersay, and that the only thing that mattered was what the collective will of all mankind democratically agreed upon, or in rare cases what the overpowering will of an individual choose to be reality?

The preceding story is the prologue to a book that I may or may not be writing.
© Copyright 2007 Fate (harrisonms at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1209490-Mock-Epic