*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/120995-The-Fatal-Flaw
by Damia
Rated: XGC · Fiction · Romance/Love · #120995
A case of irresistable attraction
The Fatal Flaw

The day was very warm as I made my way home from work. I was tired and out of sorts. I did not want to attend the cocktail party being given that night. If it weren't for the fact that it was part of my job, I wouldn't go. I climbed the steps to my condo, my mind racing ahead to what I would wear. The answering machine was running as I walked through the door. I listened to Tami, my secretary, telling me that a new client would be at the party that evening. He was being assigned to me, that I should be careful because he had a reputation for being irresistible. At this point, I was grinning from ear to ear.

There had never been anyone I couldn't turn down.

Eager now to get to the party, I looked in my closet to decide what to wear. I decided on a midnight blue evening gown. There was no way I was going to be at a disadvantage tonight. I had heard through the company grapevine what a heart throb this man was. How suave and sophisticated. Not to be denied. I was so sure of myself and my ability to control whatever desires I had. I was sure he would pose no problem at all. I gave my hair and makeup one last glance in the mirror. Then I checked my dress again. I had to be perfect. Hair upswept, lips glistening, and a body hugging dress that fit me to perfection were all the weapons I needed. I was going to be the one that got away for this man. I took a certain perverse pleasure in these thoughts as I drove to the party. I was positive that this man could not be what the rumors said. That kind of man did not exist in my mind.

I arrived at the party a few minutes late. Immediately Tami sought me out to say hello and ask if I got her message. I told her I had. She made a bet with me that I would not be able to walk away from this man. I laughed. Tami knew me so well. She knew that I had more than my share of conceit. I took the bet. I was so sure I would win. The winner would buy dinner the next time we went out. It added a spice to what I had earlier felt was going to be a rather dull evening. The party was already in full swing by the time I entered the salon. The greetings of co workers and clients took the better part of an hour as I sipped a glass of dry white wine.

My eyes were seeking this Adonis like paragon. I saw no one that fit the description I had been given. Then, suddenly, he was standing beside the fireplace at the far end of the room. He was tall, about six feet, his hair was dark. I couldn't see his eyes. His profile was strong. His manner controlled and powerful. I knew then that I was in big trouble. I watched him work the room. Smiling at the ladies, shake the men's hands with quiet enthusiasm. He was attractive. His manner easy and confident. I was praying that he didn't notice me. I wished that I hadn't dressed to impress so to speak. Oh why couldn't I have chosen a less provocative dress. I knew he would notice me.

He glanced up at me and smiled. I could feel the force from that smile across the room. I was sinking fast. I knew it. I couldn't stop myself. I told myself that there had to be something wrong with him. I imagined all sorts of flaws, maybe his voice was too high or too low, maybe his lips were too soft, maybe it was the suit that made him look so perfect, maybe he wore a toupee. The last made me smile. That's when I made the mistake that would change my life forever.

He noticed me. Really and fully looked at me. I could see the gleam in his eyes as he deliberately made his way toward me. My mind searched for an escape. I needed to get away from him before he had a chance to get to me. I decided to go into the other room and listen to the music that was playing. It would be a respite from the crush of people in the other room. Maybe I could slip out while he was otherwise engaged. I waited a few minutes until he was engrossed in conversation, quickly I left the room.

Unnoticed? I was hoping so. I needed to catch my breath. I sat down in a dim corner. Trying to get myself under control. What was I thinking? He was only a man. I had not yet even spoken too. How on earth could I be so drawn to someone I did not know? I decided to sit awhile and let the music give me some peace. I got up and went to the window, looking out into the night. My mind wandered. I was unaware of my surroundings as my thoughts took flight, to a place they rarely went.

I jumped when I saw his reflection in the glass. Staring into the reflection of my eyes. It was a moment I will never forget. The shock of his full masculine presence behind me awakened every pulse point in my body. I was frozen to the spot as I prayed that I would find the fatal flaw. I had always found it before, this time would be no different. I just had to concentrate.

When he spoke, I was well and truly lost. His voice was perfectly modulated, deep and masculine. His smile tugged at my heart. Oh lord let him wear a toupee, my mind screamed. I turned around as he introduced himself to me.

"Hello, my name is Jared Clifton. How are you this evening, Ariel?"

"Hello Mr. Clifton." I said a trifle breathlessly. "How do you know my name?"

"Oh, I asked when I saw you arrive, when you were talking to your secretary, Tami."

That gave me a start. He had seen me before I had even been aware of his presence. This was a dangerous man. I knew it instinctively.

"Well, Thank you for introducing yourself, but I should really get back to the party." I tried to make good my escape but he had me well and truly caught. I couldn't move and not brush against him. There was no way I was going to risk physical contact.

"Ah but my dear Miss Haggard, I don't want you to leave yet. You don't want to leave yet," he said with a wicked smile on his face; that smile radiated heat. I quickly informed him that I very much wanted to leave and nothing he could say or do could or would change that. Oh, I sighed silently, but that came out as a challenge. It was meant to be strong and forceful; to make him give way to my "iron will." Instead, it brought a look into his eyes that promised paradise. His lovely deep brown eyes that were shining with a darkly promising intensity that startled me.

By this time, other people had come into the room. I knew I couldn't run. His smile mocked me. "May I have this dance? "he asked loudly, enough for others to hear. I glared at him. He knew I wouldn't be able to refuse.

"Yes, I would be delighted to dance with you Mr. Clifton."

He took me in his arms as the music started. It was a slow dance; the music, soft and seductive. I held my body away from his with considerable effort. I didn't dare look in his eyes, those beautiful, gleeming eyes. The dance was torturing me, ah but what sweet torture. I was relieved when the music stopped. I made to move away, but he held me fast in his arms.

"What are you afraid of ?" he whispered.

"I am afraid of nothing! I just want this most unpleasant dance to be over." I asserted firmly. The statement did not ring true from the look in his eyes and that smile on his face. I knew he knew that I was more than a little affected by him. What a louse, I thought. Of all the conceited and arrogant men I had ever known, this one was the king! He released me and I strode away from him. Thankfully, just then, it was time for dinner.

I went in to the dining room and sat down. I was grateful that Tami was seated to my right. Peace at last, I thought smiling at her. I saw her eyes widen and I knew that he was there. Tami laughed a little as he said hello to her. Oh great, he would have to be seated at my left. I looked at Tami, suspiciously wondering if this was an accidental seating arrangement. I decided to be aloof and distantly pleasant, I was very good at that.

"Well, my dear Ariel, isn't it wonderful that we are seated so that we may converse easily?"

"Yes, very fortunate." I answered shortly.

"Tell me, what do you think should be done about my advertising campaign."

I considered my answer before replying that he had no advertising campaign worth speaking of. He needed a new team. I thought that my delivery of that little gem would be sufficient to shut him up. He threw his head back and laughed! He had quite and infectious laugh and I felt an answering smile tug at the corners of my mouth. Damn him. I didn't want to smile!

"What would you have me do ma'am?"

"First, I would think very hard at what you want to represent your company as. Then, I would think of what kind of audience you think would most like to reach." I replied succinctly. I did not want to talk to this man, but he would not give up.

"Ah, yes. You are correct. Look at that, I was right." He stated.

"About?" I queried.

"About you," he said quietly.

"Me?"

"Yes, you are much more intelligent than you look," he answered.

"And I was right about you as well, Mr. Clifton, you are an insufferable bore!" I returned with quiet fury.

"I see. I was wondering when you would admit that you are as attracted to me as I am to you," he returned.

With my eyes flashing, I informed him that I most certainly did not find him attractive at all and if he were not a client I would barely even notice him. This I said with much heat. This man was absolutely unbelievable. How could anyone be so arrogant, so totally full of themselves that they could only see what they wanted to see Whatever attraction I felt has long since abated. I was utterly furious. This is the angriest that I had been in a very long time. Who did this man think he was? Adonis? Some irresistible icon of male beauty? Oh! he was so wrong!

"One kiss Ariel, and you will be mine," he breathed into my ear.

"A kiss that you will never get!" I hissed back. I was choking on my anger.

"We will see. We will see," he laughed softly.

I almost fainted with relief as dinner ended. I sought the quiet solitude of the terrace, hoping that I would be given time to recover. I stood by the railing looking over the garden. It was a beautiful night. I could feel myself relaxing as the anger left me. How anyone man make me so angry in so few words was a mystery to me. I prided myself on being so unemotional. It was calming to feel the cool night air wash over me. I felt a presence. I turned and he stood at the terrace doors. My heart sank. Not again. He walked with a cat-like grace and stood at the railing next to me. I could smell his cologne. It was a clean masculine scent.

He turned to me and stared at me, his gaze was riveting. When he took my hand, I was at a loss. He lifted to his lips, turned it palm up, and kissed the inside of my wrist right on the pulse point. An electric shock ran up my arm. My lips parted as I gasped. He continued to hold my hand and led me down the steps to the garden below. I followed him dazed. He had mesmerized me. We walked into the garden to a rose arbor.

By this time, the music was very loud and we could hear it in this quiet secluded part of the garden. He never said a word. In the moonlight, his eyes glowed silver. I stood transfixed as he took me in his arms again and we danced. This time, he held me tightly and closely. I tried to pull away, but was no match for his superior strength. To tell the truth, I did not really want to get away, anyway.

Our eyes were locked together. My body yielded to his. My breath caught as his mouth came down on mine. His kiss was hard and forceful. I had never been so thoroughly kissed in my life. I felt that kiss in every fiber of my being. He lifted his mouth and to ask in whispered tones if I wanted to leave. My lips ached for his, the feel of his hands on my shoulders steadied my trembling body. I said no.

That one two letter word, said so many times to others as an ending, was said to this one man as a beginning, as an invitation. He whispered again. Oh such a tantalizing whisper, to go with him. I followed him without restraint, thinking only of the promise of pleasure in his eyes and voice. We went to his car and drove. I was not thinking, only feeling. It was delicious. When we arrived at the hotel, he led me to the elevator. As soon as the door closed, he kissed me. The force of it backing me up to the side, the wall hard at my back. I could not retreat from this kiss that shook the foundations of my soul.

His mouth plundered mine bringing forth a passion that I had never felt before. He broke the kiss, as the elevator door opened. My breath was as unsteady as my legs. This was what they meant by a weak in the knees kiss. It was stunning. I wanted this man. This one man. I couldn't believe the depth of my desire. It was a gnawing physical need for him to take me in his arms and love me. Love me so hard it would be imprinted on my soul forever.

As soon as we were in the door of the suite, he swept me into his arms and carried me to the bed; kissing me senseless. His hands were hot on my body. As he laid me down on the bed, his kisses blazed a path down my neck. Oh I was lost. I needed this man so badly. I craved his hands in my most secret places. My dress was off without me even being aware of it. I was so engrossed in touching him, memorizing his body with my hands.

He was a masterful lover. My body responded forcefully to his; demanding him as he made love to me; commanding him to bring me to completion. My hands roved over his body as I kissed him over and over. He felt so right, so very good. This was heaven on earth. He brought me closer and closer until I was moaning in need, feeling the coil of white hot desire ready to explode within me. He touched every part of me with his wonderful strong hands. I was never so intoxicated with pleasure as I was then. Our surrender to ecstasy was violent, almost terrifying in its intensity. The rapture of that single moment was beauty itself. Oh, what a lovely feeling! A feeling indelibly written on the core of my being. We fell asleep in each others arms; the peaceful fulfilled sleep of a deep passion spent.

And so Dear Diary, that is the tale of my lost bet. With the bet, I lost my heart. I discovered the fatal flaw however was not with the men I knew, but with me. My own ability to walk away; to not experience, to not allow myself to care too deeply. That was the fatal flaw I had been searching for. I found it within myself. Oh I am truly blessed that he does not share that same flaw. He lays beside me now for life.

And I also discovered his fatal flaw, he can't sing!!
© Copyright 2001 Damia (damia826 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/120995-The-Fatal-Flaw