*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1210795-The-World-Upside-Down
by Naomi
Rated: E · Short Story · Entertainment · #1210795
A wrestler struggling to make ends meet.Fighting for title will not be his only dream.
The alarm clock made sure Khalid was more than awake at 5 am. He always wakes up just one second before the machine can howl. For some reason he always feels cheated out of that moment, "Eh, oh well" he says.

" I am not ready for today..." Khalid's brain echos loudly in his head. He rolls over and smacks the top of the clock, nearly knocking it off of the meager night stand. Last night was just too much. Full of cheap beer, shouting fans and too many hits to the chest. But, Everyting in the bright lights just seem to burn in Khalids memory. The pale whiteness of the mat, the fight , the friends cheering him on and the unforgettable ding of the bell that sounds the end of the round.

Khalid sits up at the edge of the bed with a series of grunts and pangs of soreness.He runs his hands through his coarse black hair and places his hands on his well muscled, but very achy thighs.

Down the hallway to Isaacs room Khalid locates a MIA Gi Joe with the bottom of his foot.

"Ow, Jesus Christ!" His body sways heavily toward the wall of the apartment and he lands on it with a meaty thump.

"Dad...?"

"Why did one of your toys just attack my foot?" Khalid limps a little down the hall.

"Huh.."

"Isaac, get up, time to get ready for school."

"Nope."

"What?"
"
No school today, holiday." Isaac jerked the blankets up over his head and rolls over dramatics of a typical twelve year old..

Khalid leans into Isaacs doorway as if it will make him understand his son better.

"What sort of holiday?" He made a mad scramble in his brain for any information relevant to this so-called holiday in the middle of March.

"Staff development or something.."

"Then you gotta go to Missy's today, cuz I don't..."

"...want you home by yourself....I know." Isaac followed in unison.

"Go back to sleep then, but be back up at 8."

Khalid made a subtle turn toward the kitchen. The apartment was small but it was free. That is one of the very few benefits of being on the maintenance staff. The other benefits are that work is very close and what others leave behind is yours. In fact, nearly all of their combined belongings were bought by someone else and left behind as if money were no object. That was a particular belief that Khalid had no use for. Hard times were more apparant now than they ever had been in his life, now that he had more than himself to worry about.

Coffee filled the house with that unmistakable morning smell and Khalid felt a little lighter after a few cups.

"See ya at five-ish. No practice today."

Isaac mumbled a goodbye and was instantly asleep.

"Maybe we can do something different tonight," Khalid entertained this passing thought for a moment then drifted toward the office.

Khalid figured the day would never end. He unlocked his apartment with the unbridled ferver of roadkill. The apartment was cold and dark. This was a dead give away that his son was still at Missy's at 5 o'clock in the evening.

She was a lifesaver when it came to sitting kids. on short notice. Missy came in handy for many of the single working moms of the apartment complex. Her home business was not lucrative for her to go on shopping spree by any means, but it did pay the rent.

Missy is married but that is as far as it goes. Her husband is home maybe two weekends per month. His working habits were admirable in the beginning but things have changed. Abscence makes the heart grow forgetful and absent minded.

Her husband, Carl, was a truck driver and he loves the road more than his wife. Missy supposes it is the freedom and structure hand in hand that he is so fond of. Either way this leaves her slightly neglected. She will always give her automated response when asked, How is married life?, She says," Well, the tax refund is great.."

Khalid is fond of her. He likes the fact that she is already aquainted with his son and Isaac really enjoys her company. Missy's feelings toward Khalid have always been a mystery to him. So, instead of embarassing himself by saying what he really wants to say, he pays her on time and generously.








© Copyright 2007 Naomi (naomi2cool at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1210795-The-World-Upside-Down