*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1212260-Duck-And-Cover-up
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #1212260
Weekly flash fiction contest entry. Based on a true story, sort of. 300 words.
“You are not going to believe what I found in his bathroom... Oh, hi Tom!”

Tom Fish stood in the doorway of the Fisheye Investigations office, trench coat slung over one arm. He looked flushed and out of breath.

Tom's secretary hung up the phone quickly and looked at him, concerned. “What happened to you?”

“Dana, someone's been following me.”

Dana peered through the venetian blinds. A pickup truck with 'Bailey Parks & Recreation' stenciled on the door was idling in the parking lot.

“Would this have anything to do with the ducklings?”

"I've got no idea what you're..."

“The ones in your bathtub?”

“Oh THOSE ducklings. Andy Salinger gave them to me."

“That paranoid guy who hangs around the city park?”

“Correct. You know how he thinks the CIA is trying to control his mind? He's convinced they're using the ducks to transmit the signals. I said I'd hold them for questioning. I'll probably just let them go in a couple of days and say they promised not to do it again."

“Well no wonder the park guy has been following you, he probably wants the ducks back!”

Tom squinted out the window. "No, thats too obvious. What if Andy was right? What if this is a CIA cover-up and now they're after me because I know too much?"

Just then there was a loud knock at the door.

Tom ran out of the office and into his adjoining apartment. "Get rid of those ducks!" he cried.

Dana opened the door to discover a tall man wearing overalls holding out a wallet. "Is Mr. Fish here? He dropped his wallet."

There was a soft thump and a crash from the street below. "Yeah," Dana replied. "He just fell down the fire escape."



© Copyright 2007 Brain Nuggets (sheiky at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1212260-Duck-And-Cover-up