*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213026-tools-of-confusion
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Other · #1213026
flash fiction: assembling furniture, sometimes stereotypes are true
"What are those for?" Jason asked, pointing to the three large color-coordinated boxes positioned in their living room.

Nick replied, "they're our new furniture for the room. Got them from Walmart."

Jason grimaced at the name of the multi-chain corporation. "They sell boxed furniture now? I hope it is all pre-essembled."

"There is some assembly required," Nick said as he opened up the small of the three boxes pulling from it an instruction manual. "It shouldn't be too difficult."

While Nick took a couple of minutes to read the first pages of the manual Jason opened the other two boxes.

"Uhhh Jason," Nick asked, "do we have a rachet?"

"A what?"

"A rachet, it's on the list of tools needed to construct these things."

Jason looked at Nick, confused. "I don't think we have one, and if we did neither of us would know it."

Nick nodded and continued down the list. "What about a wrench? A screwdriver?"

"A screwdriver is a tool?" Jason interrupted.

"So this manual says," Nick responded. "What about a hammer?"

"I know that one." Jason stood for a second trying to remember if they had a hammer or not. "We used one to... no, never mind. We don't own one of those either."

"How are we going to assemble these without tools?" Nick put the manual on top of one of the couch sections.

"It's a man's job, we'll think of something."

Jason's comment sparked an idea. Nick grabbed his cell phone and began to dial.

"What are you doing?" Jason asked.

"You said it was a man's job, so I'm calling my sister. She'll be able to put these together for us."
© Copyright 2007 Dawn Embers (elfmage7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213026-tools-of-confusion