*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213071-Midsummer-Love-A-Tale-of-Fishing
by Fushia
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1213071
Fishing is Nature's way of love


To let all of you who decide to read this story, I am working on it right now. I will work on this daily so those of you care to read may. All reviews would be helpful and anything you would be able to give as advice is grand. Thank you for reading this and I hope you enjoy it.


I dedicate this story to my wonderful fiancée, Cassi, whom has helped me through all my troubles and has allowed to go fishing endlessly.

The greatest catch of my life hooked me.






         ...I crept up in my old, rust-red Chevy truck next to the swampy edge of my Uncle Kirby's pond. Dressed in some old jeans made into shorts, my bare-naked feet and chest stood in sharp contrast in the truck. I looked down at Cassi, my fiancée. She was also dressed in jeans made into shorts and no shoes, but with swim top to cover her chest. She was sleeping peacefully, quiet in sweet, innocent slumber. I woke her gently, stroking her head with my hand.

Morning baby, we're here. I drove all night just to make it, just for you.

Morning Mattie. Thank you for driving the whole way, I was really tired.


         At around five in the morning, the water from the pond could be felt in the air, and I could hear my fiancée gasp at the beautiful sight. Above the horizon, past the cornfields, rolling hills, and sweet summer lilacs, the Nebraskan sun began too rise. It painted the sky purple, red, and yellow, giving the feeling of being inside of a picture to us both. We both sat next to each other on the bench seat, cuddling and admiring the sun waking up. I kissed her fore head and gave her a hug. She hugged me back and both of us sat in silence, telling each other I love you with the grace and gentleness of our eyes.

Come on baby; let's go get the stuff ready for the day before they know we're here.

Ok! Can I get the minnows please? Please baby? please, please, please, please?

Yes, you can get the minnows princess.


         We got out of the truck, both of us excited. While Cassi grabbed the minnows off the floor, I grabbed the drinks from the quick-shop bag from the back seat. I opened my door, and felt the warm, gooey mud in between my toes, bringing back memories from the past running through same mud as a child. I threw the drinks onto the hood of the beat-up Chevy, coming down with a harsh bending of metal. I swore at the car and ran to Cassi's door, slipping in the soft mud, slipping and sliding. When I finally made it to Cassi's door, I saw her laughing and smiling. I smiled back at her and made my hand to the handle, pulling the door open, metal screeching from the old truck. I gave her my hand, and she stepped down. Her feet dived into the mud, coating her legs with goop. I pulled her from the mud and let her find her balance. Now both of us, covered in mud, began to laugh as the sun shone in the other's face, giving us both the look of a redneck angel. We kissed each other softly upon our lips, smiled, and then our hands began their magnetism of each other. We held one another without thought, only emotion, grateful to be back near home. We moved in closer to each other, our hands unwinding and instead our arms wrapping around each other. I held her tightly and whispered to her ear, "I love you Cassi, for forever and a day." She held me tighter and whispered back, " I love you too Matthew, always. Come on; let's go get the stuff outta the truck." I nodded in silent response as the first of the kingfisher awoke from their nest and the herons lifted their necks to greet the day.

         We walked to the back of the truck, holding each other's hand for love and balance for the mud proved more challenging than first thought. From step to step, there was bound to be weeds, shells, and sinking mud. When we finally reached the back of the truck, I lifted up the handle and brought it down when a thud. Thankfully the mud was hard by the bed so we had little trouble getting the equipment. We each pulled out our poles from the bed, a total of seven. We then set them down by the shore. We then went back for the rest, a mix of chairs, tackle boxes, buckets, a creel, a jug of worms, Cassi's bow fishing bow and her other equipment, and my fishing spear. With all of that sitting of the shore, I went back to the truck, then helping Cassi get up, both of us stood in the bed of the truck, overlooking the pond.

         We could see the first moments in the water than, a choreographed dance in the water. At first the bluegills began to sip newly hatched mayflies off the surface, sucking in water. Then the jump of a carp broke the silence, a symbol of the flooded orchestra. Then cows began to bellow as the sun touched their eyes. Kingfishers took to the skies in search of a morning meal, crying a piercing tone across the still surface over the water. We saw carp move in the shallows of weed beds then. We both looked at each other and nodded our heads. I spotted out two separate weed beds for us, one for Cassi's penetrating arrows and another for my vicious spearhead and tangling net. We both gave each other a kiss and then went to grab our equipment.

         I picked up my spear, an eight foot piece of steel pipe attached to a five pronged trident head, and my net, one made for hauling in large fish. Cassi picks up her bow and quiver, checking her line. She makes sure that everything is in order, and then pulls the bow over her shoulder. Looking like two medieval warriors, we walk up to each other, kiss, and then go off to our appropriate weed beds. As I walked off to mine, I smiled at her, whispered a prayer for her, and then set off on my way.

         As I walked closer and closer to the fish, my movements slowed and I sank lower to the ground. My eyes focused on the carp, trying to predict which tool would be better. For most cases I choose the spear, however with the presence of me needing to stalk them close to the ground and be as close as possible to get them, I decided the spear would be useless and the net much better. I took my right hand near the top and my left near the bottom, holding it ready for my quarry. I was ten yards away from my prey, but I knew at any moment I could scare them. I crawled low and my hands and knees, sinking into the mud, using my net to keep me up. I slowly turned my head to the side, trying to catch my fiancée; she stood there, quietly climbing to a spot where she could look above her quarry. I moved my head back and began to crawl again. As the water came closer, I put my knees to my chest, crouching like an ape. I began to move like this, putting my feet to my chest each time, slowly hopping to them. One moves closer to me, I guessed it to be about ten pounds. My knuckles touched the water next, and I moved up into position, crouching now, slowly rising. I brought the net up just as slowly as I. Then heard a snap, followed by cursing fro my beloved wife. I guessed in my head either Cassi had missed or got it and it ran hard to deeper water. Hearing the splashing, she had gotten it, and it was giving her one hell of a time. I wanted to steal away a look, but the crap moved closer to me, about five feet away. I stood there, a foot deep and still sinking in the mud. I stood for what seemed to be forever, and then I stood longer. The slowly moved toward me, eating as it went, moving toward me with ignorance and impending death. As it moved closer, I finally sprung a trap. From my brain, I sent a message down my arms and legs, neurotransmitters and neurons sending then same impending doom to the fish, “Kill it". I fiercely sprang upon it, the fish thrashed underneath the trap, spiteful and full of fear as it hopelessly tried to swim away for its life. I pulled out my knife from its sheath, the blade shone in the morning light, and expelled from it death. As I gave a breath of death upon the fish, I stabbed it between the eyes, giving it a quick and painless death. I saw its soul escape from its body, pure and free. I prayed for the fish and gave thanks for it being to give me food. I wrapped my hand about its tail, seizing it firmly.

         With the carp firmly held, I stole a look toward Cassi. She stood firm and proud of her recent kill, a healthy carp that probably weighed about the same as mine. We were both smiling wide, the sun reflecting off our bodies giving us a glowing look, as though the happiness extended past our flesh to the air that surrounded us. We walked back toward the truck, our steps in unison even though the mud continually attempted to suck us down.

         We met back at the truck a few minutes later, heaving from walking across the great distance. I grabbed a stringer from one of the buckets and threaded it through the dead fish’s' gills. I poked the needle through the ring and through the carp into the pond, my arm lurching as they hit the water. I pushed the needle into the mud, and then put a rock over it to secure it. It was about six in the morning now, and we could see cornfield stalks on the horizon and the farmers driving their tractors. We sat on the hood of the truck, picking the mud off of our legs and from between our toes. My stomached growled at me then, furious for all the driving last night and no snacks. Cassi smiled at me and waited for me to ask the question.

Hey baby, are you hungry? I could go get the stuff for breakfast if you want.

A little bit, are you hungry though? I wouldn't want to eat if you don't.

Yeah I am. How about we have some bacon, potatoes, and cut up some of the carp for breakfast?

Sure that sounds good. I'll start the fire and when I am done I'll help you with cleaning those fish and cooking.

Alrighty then let's go.


         With it established we were gonna make breakfast, we gave each other a long, loving kiss with a hug. Then we separated and as Cassi jumped in the back of the truck to grab the firewood, pans, and all the other things needed for cooking breakfast. I walked from the back of the truck, to the shore, and then grabbed one of the carp, which I assumed was Cassi's the hole. I brought it back to my tailgate and set it down gently, trying not to injure the meat. I found a scaler in one of the buckets and begun to scale it as Cassi and I talked.

Hey baby, how long has it been since we have been here do you think?

Ummm...I think it's been about two years or so.

Really? Where does the time ever go anymore, with you singing and me fishing we barely have anytime to go here any more. Uncle Kirby actually sounded a little surprised that I asked him.

Well geez I would be too, I mean with him seeing you on TV. All the time I think he began to wonder if you would ever come back.

That's what I was beginning to wonder also.


         I flipped the carp over to scale the other side, peeling the scales off of its side. I shouted back to Cassi as the scales flew this way and that.

I love you baby.

I love you too silly fishy. For forever and a day.

Yeah, always.... you have that fire lit yet?

Almost there...got it. Let me get the thing going then I'll put on the pans and some lime juice.


         I went into the truck and found a bowl and a jug of fresh water. I poured the water into the bowl and set it near the fish. I found my filet knife then and start to cut methodically into the flesh of the fish, careful to miss ribs and the spine. As the knife flowed down the side of it, blood flowed out. I felt the knife come close to the bone and raised it just centimeters and missed the spine. I curved the knife up and came out near the tail, leaving a clean fresh filet. I put it in the bowl and started on the other side, following the same careful pattern as before. As I finished the final filet, Cassi announced to me the juice was now hot and ready for cooking. I acknowledged her and told her I'd be there in a second. I took both filets from the bowl and gently put them into the lime juice. On the other pans Cassi was already cooking the potatoes and bacon.

You know Cassi, for it only being about nine in the morning; it feels a whole lot later.

Yeah, it does. Of course you did insist on driving all night while I slept, silly fishy.

Well you look so cute when your sleeping though, I mean I couldn't resist it.


         As we talked we smiled, laughing at each other's jokes, waiting for the meal to cook through thoroughly. We snuggled close to the fire, love flowing between our bodies as we held each other close. They smell of lime and cooking flowed through the air, the aroma warming our souls and making our bellies growl. When the food was finally finished, I put it all on a plate, still sizzling.

         I went to the truck, laid the food on the floor, and then grabbed a towel from behind the seat. I threw the towel over the bench seat and climbed in, my back to the door. Cassi climbed in next, sitting in my lap. She grabbed the food and we began to eat, talking to each other about nature and what was the plan for the rest of the day.

         As we finished with breakfast we cleaned up everything and put what wasn't going to be needed anymore back into the truck. We put out the fire to save wood and let the pans cool. We both grabbed some ultra-light poles with a tackle box for pan fishing and set out for a weed bed with a few trees just outside of it. As we trudged through the guck, I told what was going to be the best way to fish.

All you have to do baby is cast out to those trees, and then retrieve it at different depths towards the weeds. Once you get to the weeds swim it through them and mix it up a little, don't let those little guys know what’s coming.

I think I can do it hunny. What should I use though?

I'm a thinkin' we are both gonna use the same thing. A little pink and white sixteenth ounce jig under a little bobber.


         When we got to the spot, with both started to fan cast, penetrating every little spot we could. With Cassi catching the first fish, a little bluegill, I got to see the fishy dance. It brought a smile to both of our faces and made way for a kiss. One after another, we both caught bluegills and tossed them back into the pond. As they hit the water, they would first lie there, and then they would swim away in terror, heading for the nearest weed patch they could find and hiding under it. We passed the day until about ten thirty catching little bluegills, about thirty in all. Cassi dropped her pole onto the ground,

Hey baby...My arms are kinda tired, I'm just gonna let you fish for a little but.

All right, that’s fine with me.


         She came up behind me and put her head on my shoulder, her hands underneath. She held close to me, watching my ever move, feeling the muscles work in my arm as I reeled. I felt her then move off my body, asking her where she was going; she replied to me," I just wanted to stand is it." I paid no attention to her, focusing on the water instead. Then I felt it, and what an unmistakable feeling it was. The mud from Cassi's hand slid down my neck, her giggling following it down my spine. I dropped my pole in a flash, and reached for the ground beneath me. I brought up a massive hand full of mud. I ducked and tossed the mud square at Cassi's chest. I hit her softly, leaving and splatter pattern about her chest, up to her neck. We both laughed and smiled, throwing mud at each other.

          By the end of it, Cassi and me were laying down in the mud. we both apperaed to be some type of golem arrisen from the pond, caked thick in the earth. the mud around us was in the shape of angels, mud angels as we called them. She rolled over and layed on top of me, the mud acting like a strange adhesive to our already caked bodies. We smiled at each, our teeth looking magnificently bright in against the dark mud. The sun beat down on us, harding the mud to our bodies and forming an unusual shape of our body. I began to grow warm in the noon sun, the mud covering me like a soft blanket. As I quietly fell out of conciousness, The last thing I heard was Cassi talking to me, her smooth, gentle voice putting me to sleep.

You know Matt, we come a long way. We're married, just got finished with collage, and are closer and closer to becoming what we dreamed of being what we wanted to. I mean your starting on the tournament series now, and I've been able to get signing jobs here or there. We're really coming along hunny, we really are. I wanted to tell you something though.....

         At that moment I fell asleep, dreaming of lakes and rivers. Cassi smiled down upon my, like an angel from the sky. I stroked and said to me, "Goodnight Matthew, sweet dreams my prince." And with that, Cassi also fell asleep, resting upon my chest, wondering when I would wake up.

         I woke suddenly, shocked and alarmed at what had woken me. I opened my eyes, breaking through the veil of darkness. I saw the massive rain clouds coming towards us. I woke up Cassi softly, pulling her head toward mine.

Baby it's time to wake up. Hey sleeping beauty there's a surprise for you...... Cassandra it's time to get up silly fishy, don't you know this.

Wha... What is it hunny? Is something wrong?

No, I just wanna get some stuff in the truck. Cause you know those fantabolous rain clouds you love are coming towards us and we should pick up while you play in them.

Really!

Yes baby, believe me.

I do. i'm just so excited, you know how much I love to play in the rain.

Ok baby, but you have to do something for me first, ok?

Sure, what do you me to do?

Well first we have to set up some poles cause the fishies like to bite alot during the rain, then we have to put a tarp over the bed, and finally we have to put away the stuff we don't want to get wet. Is that ok with you princess?

Ok! Then can we play in the rain please?

Yes baby, after we do all that then you can play in the rain, but you'll have to help me with the fish if they bite.

Oookkkk....... Are you going to play in the rain to baby?

Yes baby, I'm gonna play in the rain. Now let's go and pick up the stuff.

OK!


         We tired to get up from the mud but it sucked us both back down like a vaccum. I tired my hardest to pull up, but still unsuccessful. I dug both my hands in like claws, ripping and tearing into the mud's flesh, fearious from my unescapable position. Finally I popped free, flying forward into the air and mud following me. Both of us laughing, I helped Cassi up, almost putting myself back into the mud.






© Copyright 2007 Fushia (matt1216 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1213071-Midsummer-Love-A-Tale-of-Fishing