*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1214541-Outline-for-Untitled-Sci-Fi-Story
Rated: 13+ · Outline · Sci-fi · #1214541
I have been coming up with chunks of this story for a while...
The following are characters or other parts of a story or series of stories.

Earth

During the late 21st Century, a massive world war errupted after American engineers were executed by chinese revolutionaries. The war was over in a matter of days with devestating casualties on every side. Fortunatly, the war did not involve unconventional weapons thanks to the Disarmament Treaty of 2090. America and its allies were victorious and began a campaign of imperialism, exerting complete control over most of the Earth's natural resources. By the time space exploration began on a massive scale, the American government had assumed control over the entire globe and formed a "Presidential Council" to govern the Earth. In theory, the government distributed all resources evenly among the population. In reality though, the regions most loyal to the government's agenda were awarded with plenty, while areas that were outspoken against the council were left to starve. The council, began to reach for the stars, sending manned missions to nearby worlds and colonizing them. One of their greatest motivations to do so was tourism. The government capitalized off of the tourist flights to exotic worlds. Meanwhile, mining operations began on several planets and moons, producing materials foreign to humans until this time. As new worlds were populated, the ability of the Presidential Council to control so many planets diminished until the navy launched an all out war on three rebellious worlds. The colonies were alerted to the attacks and sent the first wave of Earth fighters away in retreat. The war that followed ended in tragedy for Earth when colonists attacked the center of government for the council, killing the twelve councilmen. With that, Earth ended its campaign and left the colonies to themselves.


Alliance of Free Planets

In the beginning, all planetary settlements reported directly to the Presidential Council on Earth. But as time went on and the reach of the human race widened, it became more and more difficult for the council to govern the settlements directly. The employed colonial governers to be the eyes, ears, and hands of the council for each colony. This proved also to be insufficient as the governers became corrupt and disobediant to the council. After Earth's failed attack on the three rebellious worlds and the council's assasination, other settlements saw that the navy could be stopped so they spoke out too. After a decades long war, Earth left the colonies to "perish for their foolishness". But not only did they not perish, they began to thrive. They discovered precious metals to mine, spices to farm, and services to perform. In no time at all, the colonies had formed trade routes, alliances and complex systems of government. But soon, pirates, often funded and encouraged by Earth, began to threaten trade routes and agreements, bringing whole planets in conflict with one another. It became apparent to the settlement leaders that if they didn't work together to protect common interests, their very existence could be threatened. To that end, twenty of the thirty-two free planets sent representation to the council on Onyx 4 and signed the document creating an alliance navy, infantry, and a bill of rights. The pirates, in an attempt to quash the rising threat, launched massive, coordinated and largely ineffective campaigns against Alliance infrastructure.

Wormhole Motivator

The single most important discovery in the field of space travel came when scientists created the wormhold motivator. They found that by using what they called Exotic Matter (X-Matter), they could create and sustain a tunnel in space time. This tunnel, called a wormhole, could then be extended to and exited at any point the operator wished. This allowed space travel over thousands of light years to be accomplished in a matter of hours.

Space Travel

Following the technology boom of the 22nd Century, human space exploration advanced by leaps and bounds. The most important discovery was the wormhole motivator. Scientists discovered that using the right equipment, one could create a wormhole at any point in space and actually blaze a trail to any destination. In the early days, vessels had to make a wormhole, then make the trip themselves to the desired point of exit. That is of course until the invention of the lightspeed engine. Using these new engines, unmanned crews were sent out to blaze numerous wormholes in very short amounts of time. As soon as humans began colonizing other worlds, Earth had to send supplies via these wormholes, which attracted those who would rather kill for their supplies than earn them. For this reason, the Presidential Navy commissioned the creation of a fleet of space fighters.

Spacecraft - The T1 "Tunneler"

Before the discovery of lightspeed engines, wormhole motivators were placed aboard vessels called Tunnelers. These were massive ships carrying a crew of hundreds. The act of blazing wormholes required these crews to live out their entire lives on board these ships, with rare stops at nearby planets. In one mission, an entire generation could be born and die aboard the Tunneler, leaving their children and new recruits to continue on. Though some crews remained active, the discovery of light speed engines allowed for unmanned T2 vessels to get the job done faster and with less danger to humans. The biggest threat to the T1 crew would have been the violent storms created by the tunneling process.

Rashan Ceaser

Before the formation of the Alliance of Planets, cargo ships carrying vital supplies and profitable merchandise to various worlds were easily intercepted and pillaged by brutal pirates. The pirates would use what they needed and sell the rest. Many wealthy pirates used their money to place themselves in positions of power on influential planets. When the Alliance formed to protect trade ships, hordes of pirates banded together to protect their way of life and attempted to destroy this alliance before it began. Perhaps the most ruthless of these pirates was Rashan Ceaser, the self-appointed commander of the pirate fleet. Mostly hated by his men, Rashan proved to be a coward in battle, allowing his men to take the risk and do the work, then swooping in to finish it off and take the credit.

Liberti Seven

When it was first discovered by civilized races, Liberti Seven was completely inhospitable. Early attempts at colonization ended in tragedy. The climate of this world is arid with frequent and devestating storms, bulldozing anything in their paths. As time went on, a few underground settlements managed to last. They began to take steps to terraform the atmosphere of the planet, attempting to make it habitable. These attempts have so far yeilded less than promising results. the underground colonies, however, have begun to flourish. Most of these settlements are built around mining facilities and are home to thousands of workers. Liberti Seven is a member of the Alliance of Planets, but not by choice. It was conquered by the over-zealous General Gunner shortly after its discovery and colonization. The revenue from the materials recovered in the mines go a long way in funding the Alliance.

General Gunner

When the Alliance of Planets was established, its opponets waged countless military campaigns attempting to destroy critical infrastructures. Their plan was to weaken the alliance in its infancy, but all the succeeded in doing was making a relentless enemy out of a young officer. Gettic Gunner began his career as a politician with a knack for tactics. He earned the respect--and fear--of the Alliance Navy during these chaotic attacks. Gunner was never content with sending an attacking force away in retreat. He began to hunt these fleets until every last ship was obliterated. After the war against the Pirates, Gunner was awarded the rank of General and a brand new fleet was commissioned in his honor and under his command. It was the relative peace of this time that Gunner hated. He was starved for battle and there was no one to fight. To quench his thirst for war, he began attacking worlds that did not join the Alliance. Millions of lives were lost during this campaign. Hundreds of worlds were strongarmed into joining the alliance "under promise of protection'.

© Copyright 2007 Kal-El85 (stewieg85 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1214541-Outline-for-Untitled-Sci-Fi-Story