*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1214714-My-First-Time
by lizzi
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1214714
My experience with internet dating that turned out happily ever after.
Internet dating is still taboo in a lot of places.  For instance, in the south – where I’m from – it’s still hush-hush.  If you mention that you met someone online, you get a funny look, and they just say “oh” and slowly back away from you. 

I married a man I met online.  I don’t think my parents know how we met exactly.  Frankly, I was a little scared to tell them, and I still am!  My close friends and sister know though, and they don’t judge me.  They’re just happy I found my ‘Knight in shining armor’. 

While we were dating, he lived in the UK and I was in the U.S.  I admit it was difficult.  We met up in Baltimore for New Years after talking for about a year or so.  I never believed in love at first sight until I met this man.  After we returned to our homes, I convinced myself that the concept of love at first sight was ludicrous.  That only happens in books and movies – not in reality.  No matter how hard I tried to convince myself of this, there was this little voice in the back of my head that kept telling me “it’s real”.  It’s like a fly you see banging against the screen of a window trying to get out.  I felt like this voice was my fly banging against my brain trying to convince me that it’s real.

Over the course of six years, we had our ups and downs, dated other people, but still managed to find our ways back to each other.  Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore.  I asked him to come to Hawaii with me, and he immediately agreed. 

That one week in Hawaii was a week in heaven for me.  Being with him, I realized that he was the one for me.  All kinds of old feelings and emotions came over me like a tidal wave.  I had the feeling that the same was happening to him. 

At the airport going home, before we went our separate ways, he said he loved me!  I couldn’t believe it, and I told him the same.  After all this time, after all the things we’ve gone through together and with other people, we FINALLY admitted it.  We let the cat out of the bag, and laid everything out on the table. 

A few years after that day, and after a lot of headache of planning a wedding, we’re finally married.  To those who are thinking about or actually doing internet dating, I highly recommend it.  You never know what diamond in the rough you’ll find.  There are a lot of bad experiences, but, then again, there are some of us who have been successful at it.  Look at me!  I come from a skeptical background, and I did it!
© Copyright 2007 lizzi (lizzibell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1214714-My-First-Time