*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1219444-Reflex-Sympathetic-Dsyrophy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Biographical · #1219444
My essay on how I got diagnosed Reflex Sympathetic Dsytrophy
Before this disease destroyed my daily activities, I was a normal teenager with dreams that I knew I could achieve. One of the greatest disappointments was when I had to postpone my dreams of acting. Alas, virtually no one in my acting school knew anything about this disease.

It all started with a sharp pain on my foot when I got out of bed three years ago. The touch was so agonizing that I had to remain in bed for another few hours. It gradually died down, and I resumed my normal activities like any other nomal teenager. Due to my indifference of that incident, the pain gradually intensified hours later.

Like a flickering light, this unexplainable pain started recurring everyday. Although it was not too painful, it made me fatigue. It gave me muscle spasm which contorted my left foot to an angle of 90 degree. On top of that, it made walking a living hell. I could literally feel my leg being lit on fire as I painfully walked across a pit of fire.

Towards the end of 2005, the pain became unbearable. It got to the point when my mind begged me to see a doctor. I told my mum about my pain, but she deduced that I was lacking in exercise. Similarly, her apathy towards my problem gave this disease chances to devour my life.

When my mum noticed the deformation on my left leg, she took me to see a clinic doctor. The doctor at the clinic could not determine what my problem was, so he deferred me to a neurologist in the hospital. Within six months, my parents and I had visited over 13 doctors; each gave their wrong theories and misdiagnoses. There was one doctor who referred me to a psychiatrist too. She concluded I was suffering from conversion disorder, and told my parents that I was trying to gain attention.

Finally, after more referrals, I landed in the office of a pain specialist who gave me the first and correct diagnosis. From a clinical diagnosis, he concluded I was suffering from Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.

For the next few months, treatments were aggressive, but they were worth it. Currently, I have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my body which reduces the pain.(although not significantly reduced, it is worth it.)

It is hard to get support from people who have little knowledge of this disease because they cannot feel the same way as I do. There is a need to spread RSD awareness, and we have to do it to ensure many people do not suffer in silence anymore.
© Copyright 2007 jovian_w2002 (jovian_w2002 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1219444-Reflex-Sympathetic-Dsyrophy